“Sad to say goodbye”

Sangs Cafe
Ranked #20 of 323 Restaurants in Salinas
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I adore Sang's and have eaten there scads of times. The food is superb, serving’s huge, great value, excellent service. Steinbeck ate here! The people watching is great and the regulars are always hanging on the stools at the counter. The breakfast menu is like reading a novel. The corned beef hash is homemade and to die for, the biscuits and gravy too! The lamb shanks for lunch are one of my favorites and with at least 12 daily specials to pick from, who needs that book sized menu! The salsa at every table is a bonus used on any meal. All the food comes out of the quintessential greasy spoon kitchen, manned by a family of Chinese cooks all wearing colorful chef’s caps in all kinds of Hawaiian patterns. The foods so damn good you don’t want to look to close at the kitchen. Why the good bye? I’m a nurse and after years of loving this place I got turned off by the cook/cashier, who has some kind of skin disorder on all his fingers. I’m sorry he does and if it’s not contagious, well, it looks bad and grossed me out. Great food, but the cook should be wearing gloves.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Lot of food, decent price.
Has lots of seating.
Well lit
Different size tables.
Like having Sunday breakfast there.

Reviewed 8 November 2012

this place is an institution!! the prices are great & so is the food. They serve a great breakfast, lunch & dinner. I've been here for all 3, of course not all on the same day!! You will not go away hungry!! Very accommodating with changes. Love this place!

1  Thank jeanne1933
Reviewed 19 February 2011

We tried both breakfast and lunch at Sangs Cafe and were very happy with both meals. Great food and large portions. Would definitely rcommend eating here. They are not open for Dinner.

Reviewed 24 August 2010

Just outside the Steinbeck Center Musuem( great place for all Steinbeck fans),I saw what looked like a little place called Sangs Cafe- what drew me to it was a sign that said John Steinbeck ate here. I went in and thought I stepped back in time - a horsehoe shaped counter with stools and large dining area full of folks happily muching on their breakfasts.
The food was fantastic beyond any expectation- I had two eggs, the most lucsious homemade corn beef hash, and the aboslute hands down best has browns I have ever had, and let me tell you I have scarfed down more than my share of hash browns in 50 plus years. These were perfectly crisp and browned .well seasoned, about a good half inch thick , moist on the inside - I am still raving about them! The portions of the corned beef and hash browns were enormous , so laRGE that my eyes poped out of my head when I saw the plate coming my way.I also noticed the llunch menu and would love to go back- meat loaf, roast pork with stuffing and I saw a flinstone sized lamb shank coming out of the kitchen- evberything seemed to be in the ten dollar or so range...amazing roadfood nirvana- if you are ever in the region this place is worth a detour to get to..now the sad part of the tale- the plate was so huge , I had the waitress take it away after eating only half the potatos and corned beef as I was afraid if I ate it all I would pass out in the musuem- also had a long ride home, but wow what a place ........Sangs is a treasure , and yes talked with the owner(son of the original owner) and Steinbeck did eat there often- I can see why!!

2  Thank houweb