“Nice, but beware”

Monterey Bay Equestrian Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Salinas
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer wonderful horseback rides along Monterey Bay. Our horses are well cared for and the guides are friendly and helpful. Our stables is located as published but our horseback rides on the beach are located at the Molera Lot of the Salinas River State Beach. It can be found at the end of Monterey Dunes Way. Please rely on the directions found using the map to the beach link on our website.
Reviewed 4 November 2013

We had a 1 hour horseback ride on the beach. The ride was great. The guide was really nice and did a great job. She took some really nice pictures of us riding. I would definitely go back again except for one thing. The photographer Doug Higgins Photography is quite unethical. I decided to have him take a picture of our group and asked him if he would send me the digital version as well. He said he would so I signed up. The actual photo was ok, but the Photoshop processing was sub par. I wasn't too concerned because I was getting the digital version and I would be able to re-process it and fix the exposure level. However when I received the digital image, it was a 0.072 Mbyte photo. It also was watermarked with Doug Higgins Photography. After emailing Doug a couple of times to get a proper image, with no response, I decided to warn people. It may seem unfair to dock the Equestrian Center, but they do condone the unethical behavior of their photographer. If he had said, no I don't send out digital copies, I would have understood and moved on. However, he tricked me into buying the photograph.

1  Thank Mungo J
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Thanks for the review. We really try to make our ride a great time for everyone. After seeing your review WeI spoke to the photographer and asked him to address your concerns. We do wish to have our businesses reviewed separately though as we are distinctly different businesses. We are looking into ways to let customers know that and to make the entire experience better. Your comments are valuable and welcomed.

Reviewed 30 October 2013

We were a team of five. Four adults and one teenage girl (13). Two had been riding horses previously. The rest of us had not been riding before. I found out about the riding experience in the Internet and made a reservation 1 month in advance via phone. I got instructions how to find the right place. It was relatively easy. When we got there, horses were already there.
It took some to setup everything, but experience was worth it. The ride started over the sand dunes and we could not see the sea on the way out to the turning point. The weather was a bit foggy, but it made experience somehow more magical. The return trip was done on the beach and we had a short gallop as well. Our guide took photos to record experience.
All of us enjoyed ride, regardless of the previous riding skills.
For the foreigner it was great to learn Western style of riding. It was easier than the European way and more "horse" friendly. If there was one thing to improve, it would be to have more flexibility in riding. Now the horses were just following each other as taught. It would have been great to have a bit more freedom. Anyway, for our most experienced rider, teenage daughter, this was the highlight of the west coast 2 week tour!

One of the hardest things in this business is to accommodate different levels of experience on the same ride. I'm glad it worked out so nicely. We would love to see pictures of your ride. Thank you for your review.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I wish I could give Monterey Bay Equestrian 5 stars, and if I really wanted to be honest, I'd probably give it 3 maximum - however my issues are 95% with the "photographer" they allowed to hawk his photos at us. (5% because they knew what he was up to).

The ride itself was fantastic - a full 1.5 hours, a gorgeous ride, wonderful guide, great horses, etc. Couldn't get any better.

BUT before we even started, this photographer came over to mention he has been allowed to take photos and we could get a 11x14 for ... and a 8x10 for ... etc. We declined, no big deal. It became irksome when he then came over and stated "if it's about the money, i have smaller photos available too" - first of all, if it was about the money, we wouldn't be taking a ride that cost $170. Secondly, that is an incredibly rude presumption. He asked a third time - all of this before we even went on our ride. Then the 1.5 hour ride goes by, we have a great time, come back and demount from the horses only to have him in our faces AGAIN - this time telling us our guide works very hard for her money and we should give her a tip.

INCREDIBLY RUDE - I hope that Monterey Bay Equestrian reads this and deletes this man from their guest's experiences. My friend was planning to book another ride but decided to look elsewhere after having to deal with him. I am very surprised that previous reviewers do not mention him - maybe they were lucky enough not to deal with him.

1  Thank Lauren G
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2015

Thanks for the review. Sorry for taking so long to respond. The situation is remedied. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 23 October 2013

My husband and I were on our honeymoon in Monterey. We really wanted to do something we've never done so why not horseback riding? It was definitely a great experience! Our tour guide Bridget was so friendly and informative. For a first time rider, I was very nervous but she assured me the horses have been doing this for forever. Captain and Scarlett were our rides for the day and they were such great horses! Walking along the beach was so romantic and fun. I would recommend this place to anyone who wants to try horses back riding! We had such a great time, would do it again! Thanks again Bridget for making our trip so memorable, I'm still sore! lol

1  Thank Meshelle H

It sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for the kind words. We look at all of our reviews and use them to better our service. We hope to be of service in the future.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

This was my daughter's first trip to California and I thought this would be a fun way to start our visit. She is an experienced rider and I am inexperienced. The guides, Bridgette and Ali did a great job of matching horse and rider. The ride was relaxing and a great way to take in the coast. We did an hour group ride which was fine for us, but longer rides and private rides are available. It is important to note that the horses seemed well cared for.

We appreciate our customers' reviews. Sorry it took so long to thank you.