“Wonderful time riding horses in Monterey”

Monterey Bay Equestrian Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Salinas
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer wonderful horseback rides along Monterey Bay. Our horses are well cared for and the guides are friendly and helpful. Our stables is located as published but our horseback rides on the beach are located at the Molera Lot of the Salinas River State Beach. It can be found at the end of Monterey Dunes Way. Please rely on the directions found using the map to the beach link on our website.
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Wonderful horses, great guide, and on the beach in Monterey what more could you ask for.
We went on a lovely dunes path and then down to the beach where could enjoy the surf and otters in the water. I highly recommend Monterey Bay Equestrian. Very professional, very safe.

1  Thank LNardi
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2015

All reviews
"some great photos"
"private rides"
"other guests"

Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've done numerous(10+) horseback riding activities before and this was my most disappointing experience by far!

The entire time, I was being barked at by the guide in the back. It was such a frustrating experience as I felt I was being yelled at the entire time, and the guides were in a bad mood. I know how to handle my horse (and we never went faster than a slow walk). There was no sense of letting the customer have an enjoyable ride. The atmosphere was very unpleasant as there was no freedom at all in the ride, and any slight deviation from her perceived path was met with yelling or stern reprimand. I completely understand safety, but this was just ridiculous.

Also, like other reviewers observed, if you are paired in a group with beginners, expect a very uneventful and slow ride. Do not expect any trotting, let alone cantering. And if the beginner makes any initial mistakes, expect everyone in the group to be in lock down.

I haven't had such a terrible experience in a long, long time.

4  Thank Allen S
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

I have read your review and it took me by surprise. We always try to give great customer service and do not misrepresent the services we provide. Because we make our reservations by phone, we rely on the honesty of the callers to give accurate information regarding their expectations and riding abilities. Once the ride begins, it's the responsibility of the guides to conduct the ride in a safe manner. If, during the ride, someone is not comfortable, the guide must do what they can to allow the ride to progress at a safe pace. The comment regarding the attitude of the guides is as unique as well as concerning. I will look into it at once.

Reviewed 3 January 2014

Earlier reviews had me feeling somewhat sceptical about what to expect on this trip but I needn't have worried as it was an amazing experience.
The lovely guides were very attentive and accommodating. As a solo traveller I had to join a group consisting of mainly young and inexperienced riders so the majority of the ride was at a leisurely pace along the beach, which was perfect for sitting back on the western saddles and photographing sea otters and other beach life.
I spent a lot of time at the back of the group chatting to the gorgeous guide Bridget, and was able on a number if occasions to hang back for a canter to rejoin the group.
I have had the pleasure of riding horses in a number of global locations and can honestly say this is one of the most professional outfits I've experienced.
My only misgiving in writing this review is that someone might want to ride above their ability and insist on cantering along the beach, to which I say 'trust the guides'. I'm not a great rider by any means but the guides are, so sit back and let the horses and guides do their job!

2  Thank shazzashaz
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Thank you for your review. It was humbling considering your extensive travel history. We hope to see you again.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

Went cantering there this past weekend aboard MAJOR who was a major handful since he only wanted to go from stop to Full Speed Giddyup! Lisa is a terrific organizer and leader. We had a perfect day with temps in the mid 70's and no wind or fog. This is the only ride where its not nose to tail and depending on your level you can trot, canter and possibly gallop!

1  Thank lckt13