“Wonderful ride on the beach”

Monterey Bay Equestrian Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Salinas
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer wonderful horseback rides along Monterey Bay. Our horses are well cared for and the guides are friendly and helpful. Our stables is located as published but our horseback rides on the beach are located at the Molera Lot of the Salinas River State Beach. It can be found at the end of Monterey Dunes Way. Please rely on the directions found using the map to the beach link on our website.
Cool, California
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 37 helpful votes
“Wonderful ride on the beach”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

My wife and I rode with one other customer, so we were a small group of four including the guide. We found the ride quite enjoyable. The path was behind the dunes for a bit and then back up the beach for awhile. We never doubled-back on the same path. We rode Dakota and Honey, both great animals, although Dakota has a penchant for the local greenery. Salinas beach is far enough from the crowds, at least in March, that we had the majority of the beach to ourselves. They provide helmets if you so desire and I recommend when riding a horse you've never ridden before. This is a must do whether or not an experienced rider, and especially if you've never ridden before.

Visited March 2014
3 Thank IrishTomKat
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, 14 June 2015
We appreciate our customers' reviews. Sorry it took so long to thank you.

Fresno, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“awesome”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

My family had a great time! The guides were really good with my small grandchildren. Horses are very general. Will use again.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Lulubellsteele63
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
thank you so much. Hope to see you again.
San Jose, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Wonderful time riding horses in Monterey”
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Wonderful horses, great guide, and on the beach in Monterey what more could you ask for.
We went on a lovely dunes path and then down to the beach where could enjoy the surf and otters in the water. I highly recommend Monterey Bay Equestrian. Very professional, very safe.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank LNardi
We appreciate our customers' reviews. Sorry it took so long to thank you.
Sunnyvale, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Most disappointing experience!”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I've done numerous(10+) horseback riding activities before and this was my most disappointing experience by far!

The entire time, I was being barked at by the guide in the back. It was such a frustrating experience as I felt I was being yelled at the entire time, and the guides were in a bad mood. I know how to handle my horse (and we never went faster than a slow walk). There was no sense of letting the customer have an enjoyable ride. The atmosphere was very unpleasant as there was no freedom at all in the ride, and any slight deviation from her perceived path was met with yelling or stern reprimand. I completely understand safety, but this was just ridiculous.

Also, like other reviewers observed, if you are paired in a group with beginners, expect a very uneventful and slow ride. Do not expect any trotting, let alone cantering. And if the beginner makes any initial mistakes, expect everyone in the group to be in lock down.

I haven't had such a terrible experience in a long, long time.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Allen S
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, 3 March 2014
I have read your review and it took me by surprise. We always try to give great customer service and do not misrepresent the services we provide. Because we make our reservations by phone, we rely on the honesty of the callers to give accurate information regarding their expectations and riding abilities. Once the ride begins, it's the responsibility of the guides to conduct the ride in a safe manner. If, during the ride, someone is not comfortable, the guide must do what they can to allow the ride to progress at a safe pace. The comment regarding the attitude of the guides is as unique as well as concerning. I will look into it at once.
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Lovely horses, guides and scenery. Giddy up!!”
Reviewed 3 January 2014

Earlier reviews had me feeling somewhat sceptical about what to expect on this trip but I needn't have worried as it was an amazing experience.
The lovely guides were very attentive and accommodating. As a solo traveller I had to join a group consisting of mainly young and inexperienced riders so the majority of the ride was at a leisurely pace along the beach, which was perfect for sitting back on the western saddles and photographing sea otters and other beach life.
I spent a lot of time at the back of the group chatting to the gorgeous guide Bridget, and was able on a number if occasions to hang back for a canter to rejoin the group.
I have had the pleasure of riding horses in a number of global locations and can honestly say this is one of the most professional outfits I've experienced.
My only misgiving in writing this review is that someone might want to ride above their ability and insist on cantering along the beach, to which I say 'trust the guides'. I'm not a great rider by any means but the guides are, so sit back and let the horses and guides do their job!

Visited December 2013
2 Thank shazzashaz
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
Thank you for your review. It was humbling considering your extensive travel history. We hope to see you again.