“We Didn't Ride Here, Nor Will We”

Monterey Bay Equestrian Center
Ranked #1 of 2 Tours in Salinas
More attraction details
Owner description: We offer wonderful horseback rides along Monterey Bay. Our horses are well cared for and the guides are friendly and helpful. Our stables is located as published but our horseback rides on the beach are located at the Molera Lot of the Salinas River State Beach. It can be found at the end of Monterey Dunes Way. Please rely on the directions found using the map to the beach link on our website.
Reviewed 29 July 2014

I never leave this type of review, but after my experience with this concern, I felt compelled. I'm a travel agent and I strive to find quality entities for my clients., more so for my family. We were in California, driving from Yosemite to San Luis Obispo. We really wanted to ride horses on the beach, and I had read the reviews regarding this stable. I phoned ahead, while we drove through a pocket of cell phone reception, and made a reservation for 2. Everything was great, the lady who helped me on the phone (I forget her name), but she was absolutely delightful.
We made the reservation 2 days in advance. The day of the ride, we were to be there at 3:30. It became painfully apparent to us, that we would not reach the center by 3:30, given the amount of distance we still had to drive to get to Salinas. I wanted to give the stable ample time to fill our reservation, rather than just not showing up or delaying them, so I phoned them. I explained the circumstances and regrettably had to cancel. The woman who answered (a much different one from the first phone call) became immediately perturbed. She explained there was a 24 hour cancellation policy. I explained, since I'd called in sporadic cell phone coverage, that I was unaware of the cancellation policy. We REALLY wanted to ride, and I explained that, but I wanted to let them know as soon as possible. She began to blame me for her difficulty in running a business, indicating it was people like me who made it very hard to run a business. I was shocked. I was in the car and my entire family heard everything she said, and they were incensed. She was unrelenting, laying blame & insult on me, and finally ended the call by saying, "don't ever call here again and try to make another reservation". Seriously, I've been in customer service for 30+ years, and no matter how insensitive, nasty, or ill-bred the "customer" was that I was dealing with, never did I make it their fault or tell them never to contact the place of business where I was working. I dare say, I will never call them again, and I AM NOT the reason (let your mind wander) her business is having a hard time. It saddens me, since I believe they have good people there and deliver a good product. Suffice it to say, if you make a reservation here, don't assume the customer is always right.

3  Thank tymetocruz7

Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful experience with Lisa the guide and Honey my horse. Started out late because of other people in the group, but once that issue was settled had a great time. Would ride again if had more trails and could trot more.

1  Thank Cindy S
Horseyeller, Owner at Monterey Bay Equestrian Center, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2015

Glad we earned such a great review. Thank you. Apologies for the delay in our response.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I had so much fun riding on the beach with Bridget! She was so easy to talk to and the horses Torino and Sunny were great!

1  Thank MarigraceEQ

Reviewed 20 June 2014

My friend and I had a fantastic afternoon trail ride here this afternoon-the horses are great, Bridget is a super friendly guide, and everything was very well organized. We went on the hour and a half ride and enjoyed every minute of it. If you always wanted to ride on the beach, this is a wonderful opportunity. Horses, the ocean, and friendly people-can't get better than that! We will definitely be back! Thanks for a great ride!

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We had an excellent experience riding through the dunes and along the ocean. This was a planned family vacation trip to California. We flew into San Francisco from Ontario, Canada and planned an itinerary to L.A. with a few stops in between. One stop that we made was for a horse back ride along the Monterey coast and this by far was an amazing experience for us all! A big thank you to Bridgette, our guide, who gave us a quick intro to guiding our horses. They were so obedient and well mannered. We were all beginners and were quite unsure of the experience we would have as horses are clever and will test their riders, but we had the time of our lives. It was a beautiful May afternoon and the weather couldn't have been more perfect. Thank you to all at the Monterey Bay Equestrian Center especially our horses whom all loved the taffy they were awarded by us riders at the end of our trip....kudos to Angel, Trino, Tater and Dakota who made this possible as well as to Madaline who was very informative and flexible with our schedule in arranging this ride for us. I would highly recommend this attraction to anyone.

2  Thank skezele