“Great place downtown!”
Review of Salinas Valley Fish House - CLOSED

Salinas Valley Fish House
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Bar Scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Salinas, California
“Great place downtown!”
Reviewed 8 November 2012

This restaurant is located on the corner of South Main & Gabilan Streets - pretty close to the National Steinbeck Museum. The building is about 100 years old but it looks great inside. The menu is diverse with an emphasis on seafood. It is a fish house, after all. The french bread that they bring to the table is excellent. The salmon was delicious & the sides were good. I will be back. The wait staff were very informative.

• Visited June 2012

Mentone, California
“GREAT FISH....and very good SERVICE”
Reviewed 20 August 2012

HARD TO FIND . NORTH Main, vs. Main Street, but once there food was great Tony explained the menue in detail. The oysters on the half shell were pefect and the local Salmon was cooked by Chef Steve Kabotta to perfection.

We will Return.

• Visited August 2012
Des Moines, Iowa
“Nice stop in Salinas - Fresh seafood”
Reviewed 4 August 2012

We stopped there on a Friday night. The restaurant was full but we had made a reservation. The setting is interesting. We were in a corner and noise level never got too loud. Not bad for a large rectangular room.

A previous review indicated the water had an aftertaste. My spouse thought so too but my daughter and myself did not notice it. Maybe the city water has a clay taste in this agriculture area.

The food: We shared an artichoke appetizer that we thought was excellent. Artichokes are grown all around the area so it is worth the try if you like them. We went with the salmon and a plate of mixed seafood (shells and fish.) I think this special was called Cippioni. Both plates were excellent. Only thing was the side pasta with the salmon was overcooked and cold. We thought the prices were correct. The wine card was correct. I had the 1166 IPA that I really liked, especially with the artichokes.

• Visited August 2012
Tucson, Arizona
“A Great Choice”
Reviewed 28 July 2012

While the Salinas Valley Fish House lacks a certain pizazz I can't put my finger on; it is certainly a major contender for the best of Salinas dining. I ordered the crab w/ homemade pasta with a crab cake that was rather large. The pasta was al dente as it should be, and the tomato cream sauce was full flavored but not heavy. Portions seemed on the larger side. The bar is front & center and seemed to be a stop for the locals that made a quick stop for a drink and camaraderie. The service was excellent. The menu seemed limited but the specials were numerous so a final choice ended up being hard to pick. Slim wine list. There are several tables upstairs that looked inviting.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank jeans163
california
“Service was better then the food”
Reviewed 7 April 2012

We arrived at 8:30 pm and our waiter was warm and friendly. My husband ordered the crab ravioli, the sauce was good but the pasta wasn't tender. I asked for fresh local mussels and was served New Zealand Mussels which was over cooked. We arrived there late so what did we expect, we were hungry and tired,so we ate it. Our nice waiter made up for the food.

Visited April 2012