“Comfortable and convenient”
Review of Best 5 Motel

Best 5 Motel
Ranked #15 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Best 5 is a standard no-frills , quant hotel. Rooms were clean and charming.

The management was friendly and helpful in providing information about the area. The desk clerks were also pleasant to deal with.

It was right off the 101 and close to gas and food. The proximity to Laguna seca was the main reason I stayed. It's probably the closest hotel to Laguna seca either way.

Noise from highway did not bother, could barely hear it. The pool was closed for maintenance which was a major bummer and it was incredibly hot that weekend.

Room was fairly priced. I was super excited when seeing that the hotel had Direct TV...very rare for any hotel I've stated in.

Missed breakfast but it seemed sufficient.

Overall, a good place to lay your head.

• Stayed: June 2014
There are newer reviews for Best 5 Motel

Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stopped at this motel after traveling for 14 hours and were plain tired. Wished we could have mustered up a little more energy to look into another hotel. This place is dirty and not in the best part of town. The big tip off should have been the bullet proof glass between me and the hotel clerk upon check-in. We were up early and out of there fast to get on to our destination.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sfsunst
Reviewed 26 October 2013

I had a coupon(from hotelcoupons.com which was roomsaver.com) Stayed 10/15/13. So I went here(Best 5 Motel,Salinas) on the way to the bay area. I stayed in room 105. Wifi was not working,the pool was closed for repairs,bed not comfortable and lots of security(reminded me of a jail(I used to teach in juv. hall) Everything else worked ok. Good value for the dollar in in Salinas on the way to San Francisco.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank pwalesky
Reviewed 17 August 2013

At 930pm, I was desperate to find a last-minute, under-$100 room on a Monterey car-show weekend; pretty much everything online was booked from Santa Cruz south (although King City--another 40 minutes south--had a few $65 rooms left). Found "Best 5 Motel" with google, they had rooms. This is a basic, freeway-handy two-story motel; felt like former 70s-chain limping along on a second life. But, hey, A/C worked well on what had been a 100F day; hot shower worked; WiFi worked; blackout drapes worked; slept OK on poorly sheeted bed. "Breakfast 8a-10a" was white toast with squeeze Parkay and jam; apple and orange juice; also had ripe apples (two kinds!) and oranges. Cheapest fuel in the county right across the street.

Room Tip: Upstairs on 101 freeway side seemed quieter than street side.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Service was nice, room was clean. I would not recommend due to the location. All night there are bucket cars, and shady looking people walking, driving lurking around. You would think they cameras would work for the purposes of keeping weird people off the property but they get to sit infront of your room doing whatever. Horrible location.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank trippyrichfoever
Reviewed 3 June 2013

First off, the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. My husband and I had been driving all night, so when I finally convinced him that we needed to get some sleep, we took the exit for the next motel we saw right off the freeway. For a Saturday night, the room was affordable and well within our budget. The room was actually really decent - very clean and did not smell. They have free wifi and serve breakfast in the office with coffee and toast. Overall, you get a good nights sleep at a great rate. Obviously, you aren't going to find chocolates on your pillows or fruit baskets on the desk, but you definitely still get more than you are paying for. If we ever find ourselves back in that area, I know where we will be staying.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 May 2013

Despite booking online with reputable service, this motel refused to provide a room with two beds. There are MANY MANY rooms in this place but the manager swore he had none with two beds, and I must take two rooms, and NOT at the lower internet rate! I had tired children with me which left me no choice, and he knew it. We took two rooms and both the bathrooms were completely black with mold on every surface. The formerly white towels were grey like the sinks. Everything was chipped, torn, scratched, scuffed and unfit for even a garage sale. My neighbors seemed polite but they were farm hands or highway workers, with tar-covered boots (no wonder the carpets could no longer be called carpets, right?). If you've been laying concrete, and don't mind being swindled, you could try to sleep here.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
jay p, Manager at Best 5 Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Firstly, Thank you for choosing Best5 Motel. At Best 5 Motel, we greatly value our customers and aim to accomodate and cater to our customers requests whenever possible. During your stay, it was the busiest period and truely there were no more 2 beds available. The senior management does not tolerate redundant vacant rooms and holds us accountable for such behaviour. To protect us and our customers, our policy is not to allow more than the max allowed persons per the type of room for safety reasons and thus simply following policy. We regret your experience at Best 5 motel was not a pleasant one but glad that we were still able to accomodate under the circumstance. Your stay was almost a year ago, I do not recall the status of rooms. However, we ensure rooms are cleaned thoroughly at all times, inventory screened daily and carpets are shampooed monthly. Sincerely, GM