“Spending the night on the cheap side with the most friendly staff”

Econo Lodge Salinas
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
“Spending the night on the cheap side with the most friendly staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

This place was perfect for spending the night, after the other hotel we've booked (The Beachcomber Inn) in Monterey did not honor our reservation and it was late at night, we were driving all day and wanted a place to crash.. This hotel was clean and we had a peaceful night. I thank the friendly staff that found us a room super late and were very nice to us.. and I would stay there again with no problem.. If you need a room to sleep and it's late and you don't want to spend a lot, then this is the place to call

• Stayed August 2012
EconoLodgeSalinas, Manager at Econo Lodge Salinas, responded to this review, 11 January 2013
Thank you Ominozzo for your review. We are glad that you found our prices affordable and look forward to hosting you again soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Fresno, California
Reviewed 24 July 2012

This is probably the poorest motel I have stayed in the past ten years. The fact this motel is rated in the top 10 tells you all you really need to know about staying in the town of Salinas. On this trip I was traveling with my daughter and wife for a softball tournament. If my wife and daughter had been traveling alone, I would not have allowed them to stay at this location. The room was small and very dark. Office was tucked away and the breakfast was almost non-existent. Night time activities in the parking lot were questionable. Very glad it was only a one night stay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Dan M
First and foremost Dan M, we are very sorry that you found problems in our lodging facilities. We try our absolute best to keep our property clean and free of any "questionable" activities as you stated in your review. We assure you that our property is safe and our staff is extremely accommodating. If there was something that was not to your satisfaction, please bring this up immediately next time as we will do our best to take care of any problems you may have. We hope that we will be able to host you again soon.
Reviewed 1 July 2012

After realizing everything was full in Monterey we read reviews and ended up here. Thinking we were safe after reading reviews at other places titled "Crackhole Hotel" we drove the 30 min to this place with decent reviews.
It was Saturday night and you could tell by all the people hanging outside at 11:45pm.
While my friend was checking in I witnessed a transvestite (sure hope the guy it was meeting could tell) get out if a cab to meet its "new" friend. The whole thing was sketchy. As they proceeded to their room, my friend was still inside being charged $30 over what we were quoted on the phone.
When he returned and saw the activity all around, we decided to get our money back and pay a little more for somewhere safe. At least they were willing to honor that.
You can read the reviews but nothing opens your eyes like an actual visit!
Pay a little more if you can and go somewhere else unless your into this kind if thing!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Ms417
Yuma, Arizona
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We found this hotel after my husbands other one caught fire. He stays in Salinas 6 months a year due to work. This is his first stay and he loves it. He says the Owner/Manager & Receptionist have gone out of their way to make him as comfortable as possible. It has very clean rooms and is in a nice location right off the freeway. I had a chance to visit recently and have to agree it was a very comfortable visit with a good size room and all the amenities. Thank You Econo Logdge for making my husbands time away from home a little more bearable..Would highly recommend this motel for all weary travelers....

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank dencat64
Thank you dencat64 for your review. We are so happy that you found our staff friendly and accommodating. We look forward to a healthy business relationship for many years to come.
California
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Keeping in mind that this is a motel, not a fancy 5 star hotel, and that the price is very affordable, I think this is an excellent choice if you're stopping in Salinas. The woman who helped us check in was very friendly. The man who answered the phone was more than willing to give us the internet rate, even though we were having a problem making a reservation on my phone via the internet, while traveling. And (maybe due to the light misty rain) we saw no evidence of street-walkers in the area. The room itself was comfortable, clean, and well-appointed. Microwave, mini frig. The only things were that the tv remote was missing (had been bundled in the laundry, & they forgot to bring it back). When I called the manager about it (didn't want them to charge us for the missing remote), he apologized & said they were supposed to give it to us upon check-in, then offered to drop it by the room. But by then we didn't want to bother, so said no. The breakfast was supposed to be available beginning at 7am. At 7:30 when we dropped by, the door was still locked & no one visible. We got gas at the next-door Valero station & returned to find it open. There was an unassuming selection of mini muffins, danishes, orange juice, and he was making coffee (apologized for sleeping in). For $50-55 night that we paid, we were satisfied, and would recommend this to other budget-minded people.

Room Tip: Our room was at the far end nearest the freeway, but was still plenty quiet. Had neighbors on eithe...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank PBZ-SB
Thank you PBZ-SB for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and apologize for the inconveniences with the breakfast. We hope that we will be able to host you again soon!
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed 25 February 2012

Stopped at this location while moving from Phoenix to Coos Bay OR, and found this to be a good location with good access to the 101, and now that I know it's located close to Laguna Seca, I will be staying there when going to races. Manager was great, and was really helpful when I had to make changes to my arrival date. Really good value for the price.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank speedracer05
Thank you speedracer05 for your review. We greatly appreciate your business and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Eureka, California
Reviewed 20 January 2011

I stay here on average about 15 times a year. I can say with consistency over the 3 years that I have been staying here that overall this place is just fine. I don't think it's fair to label a motel as "bad" over a one nights stay, or over one bad experience. These are motels, they are not perfect, and I don't expect perfection out of a motel. I love the fact that this place has great rates year round. I get all the amenities I need as a frequent business traveler that I have need of. The rooms are always clean. The noise overall is not out of hand. Sure it can get noisy at times, but if this place were noisy there's no chance I would come back here time and again. Then again I have always found it amusing that people expect absolute silence from every single guest at a big motel like this.

As with any City or Town in California, it seems, characters can be seen in the surrounding area. That being said I have never felt unsafe, I have never had my car harmed, and I have certainly NEVER been umm asked if I would like to conduct illegal "business" from somebody that would be classified as a "lady of the night"

I do recommend this place for those doing businesss travel or family travel, as families can be seen staying here all the time as well. The staff are very friendly and accomodating. They care about the motel. They have upgraded numerous things around the property from what I have noticed in that last 3 years of staying here. It's not perfect, but it fits my needs many times out of a year. I think that should say alot about this place.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank southernflippedCA
EconoLodgeSalinas, Manager at Econo Lodge Salinas, responded to this review, 10 February 2011
Thank You southernflippedCA for your honesty! We always appreciate our regular clients and look forward to your continued stay with us here at Salinas Econo Lodge. I agree, we are not perfect, but are continously taking suggestions from our customers to make improvements where needed. Let us know how we can service you better in the future!