“good place 2 spend the night on a budget”

Econo Lodge Salinas
Ranked #19 of 25 Hotels in Salinas
Reviewed 21 September 2009

the staff was great and funny,
the location is not good- we slept there 2 save money during the weekend nights.....
there were some frightning people in the suroundings but not something terrible... the t.v didnt work that well...

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
EconoLodgeSalinas, Manager at Econo Lodge Salinas, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2011

We are glad that you found our staff helpful and amusing Nadavpor. We are extremely sorry that your television wasn't up to par. In the future, please notify our front desk immediately so we may address the issue for your comfort. Furthermore, if you ever notice some "frightening people in the surroundings" again, let us know. This is not normal activity and we assure you that you will always have a safe, and pleasant stay in the future. Thanks for the review! Come visit soon.

Reviewed 11 August 2009

I will admit it was cheap. And we got what we paid for. The two queen bed room had double beds at best. The beds were rock hard. If it was not for the ambien, I don't think I would have slept. My son found a bug in his bed and my husband saw fleas in the room. ICK! On the brighter side, the shower was clean and had lots of hot water. Continental b-fast is a few danishes, orange juice, and coffee.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank momof2boysand2dogs
Reviewed 31 July 2009

Clerk was very friendly at check in. I stayed using points, (I was pleased that the room was only 8000 points, as this was the weekend of the Gilroy Garlic Festival, and the hotel was less than a half hour from Gilroy. They could have charged more points because of the event, but they chose not to.) For paying custoers, prices were reasonable, too. He didn't "jack up" the rates just because of a special event.

The clerk found my reservation immediately. I wanted a ground floor room, but they were still cleaning the motel, so he went out into the motel to fnd a ground floor room that was available so I could put my luggage away before I went out. A couple of small towels were not ready, but he explained that he would get them into the room. It was no problem, as I was just dropping off my luggage and going out. I liked the location of the motel. It was close to both Monterey and Gilroy, so I could go to Monterey on Saturday, and Gilroy on Sunday.

Room was clean, TV had a good picture, the bed was very comfortable, and the Wi Fi worked great. The bathroom was very clean, and I had plenty of hot water in the shower in the morning. I was a little worried, as the hotel fronted the 101 freeway, but the clerk assured me that there would be no noise problem, and there was not.

My only complaint and this is VERY minor, was about the continental breakfast. It was basically sweetrolls, toast, and coffee/juice. It woud be nice if they could have added cold cereal. I'm not picky, but cereal would be a nice added touch.

Overall, a very satisfying stay.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo

We appreciate your review uncleal95670 and we are happy that you enjoyed your stay at Salinas Econo Lodge. We will make efforts to add items to our continental breakfast to the best of our abilities. Thank you!

Reviewed 17 October 2007

I was pleasantly surprised after reading other reviews of this hotel. It was the best rate in town. The staff was very friendly. We had asked for a non-smoking room and although we were given a room that was designated non-smoking, it was obvious smokers had stayed there recently. The staff cheerfully gave us a larger non-smoking room at the same price. It was clean, and there was no problem with the TV (HBO included).

We did have a problem when we checked out with the bill. I don't know if this was just a mistake but I suggest you keep the original receipt. Staff was pleasant when I pointed our their mistake. The shower did have a minor problem that I reported when I left. It did not interfere with use. Again, I'm not sure if the problem just occurred or if previous complaints had been ignored. The hotel is right off the freeway which is both convenient and noisy.

Overall, I felt the hotel was decent for the price.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk

Thank you hope61 for your comments. We assure you that we attend to our problems with a high sense of urgency and if you ever have any concerns, please let us know immediately. Come stay with us again soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2007

When we stayed at this Econolodge in May 2007 it was reasonably priced, comfortable, had friendly staff, and even though we arrived late we got what we asked for. However, we believe this Econolodge has changed ownership since then. This time we got a "bait and switch". This time we arrived late again, staff was rude, and prices were inflated because of a large event at Laguna Seca Raceway. The parking lot at Econolodge was full but we were told that we had to go to a "comparable" alternate motel (Best 5 Motel, possibly same owners?) for the same rate across the street because of a "plumbing problem". We were not contacted in advance about this problem. If you book at this Econolodge, you may very well end up at the Best(not) 5 Motel, so don't even take that chance! We never will again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 July 2007

Located right next to the US-101, i.e. a constant roar in front of your window. Relatively dirty room, especially the bathroom. The TV was at least 20 years old and did not have the promised HBO channel. The area around the hotel is run-down; mainly gas stations and fast-food restaurants. The best is the "complimentary continental breakfast" - grab a mini donut and a cup of coffee from a table next to the reception. AVOID THIS HOTEL.

Stayed: July 2007
EconoLodgeSalinas, Manager at Econo Lodge Salinas, responded to this reviewResponded 17 September 2011

Thank you for your review thomas667. First off, I wanted to apologize for any misconceptions and misunderstands that you had about our property. We try our best to provide a clean and comfortable room to all of our guests. I assure you that your television was not 20 years old we do our absolute best to clean the room inside out. In the future, if there are any problems with your room, we encourage you to contact the front desk so that we can fix any problems that you may feel would impedge on your comfort during your stay. However, I'm glad that you enjoyed the free continental breakfast. We look forward to having you as a guest again and hope that we are able to provide you with better service in the future. Thank you for your honesty!

Reviewed 17 January 2007

Stayed here for 2 nights in JAN 07. I booked this location on their website because of the low rate. I found the staff to be extremely helpful and polite. The room was clean and even included a small fridge. The TV was quite old, though, and had very poor reception. Overall, this is a great value for the rate.

• Stayed: January 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Lisa V

DCLSTraveler, we appreciate your review. We have made extensive improvements to the property since you stayed. Please advise us in the future if you have a problem with reception on the television. We will do our best to fix the problem. We look forward to your next visit at Salinas Econo Lodge.