“If you care about your health & safety, avoid at all costs!!!!”

Americas Best Value Inn San Bernardino
Ranked #14 of 32 Hotels in San Bernardino
Encinitas, California, United States
“If you care about your health & safety, avoid at all costs!!!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2014

My husband & I were in town over a July weekend for an event & were sold on a room here because they offered in-room jacuzzis...WORST DECISION EVER! The room was FILTHY, FILTHY, FILTHY!! We entered the room after a long trip & were taken a back by the stench! As another reviewer posted, the room smelled like curry...& dirty socks. I needed to use the restroom right away & was shocked to find that the toilet had spots of yellow (urine?) & pink (blood?) just behind the seat. They put a taped seal over the lid which is usually an indicator of a freshly cleaned toilet, ha! I was desperate & had to go, so I made a makeshift seat cover with several layers of toilet paper. After a few words of caution, my husband used the restroom after me & found brown & yellow spatters beneath the seat! We were SO REPULSED! Never having experienced anything like this before, not knowing if we could get a last minute room elsewhere (it was hard to find this one), & not knowing if we could get a refund, we decided that we wouldn't be in the room much anyways...we would just use it to have an air conditioned place to sleep. We made a trip to Target for bleach & sandals to wear in the shower (we didn't want to contract a foot disease) & even looked at sheets to throw over the bed, but they were too expensive & my husband assured me that they HAD TO wash the sheets...it's the law!! We went to our concert, had dinner, came back late & decided it would be nice to wind down with a jacuzzi. Before filling it with water, my husband had sprayed bleach cleaner in the tub & surrounding area, so we figured it would be safe for us to use. Luckily, my husband turned the jets on before we entered! The jets pushed out hundreds of filthy brown flakes...of who knows what!! Spiders too!! We were so disgusted & disappointed!! That jacuzzi was the selling point for us!! Being almost 1am, we decided it was too late to inform the manager, so we decided to go to bed without a jacuzzi soak (we didn't dare risk our health) & save the water in the filthy jacuzzi to show the manager 1st thing in the morning. The bed was SO HARD...my back started spasming!! It was like sleeping on a piece of plywood! The only nice thing in the room was that the ac worked. It made the room nice & cool but, even in my dreams (nightmares really), I was afraid to pull the thin polyester blanket up because I feared it was dirty. As soon as we woke up after our uncomfortable night, my husband went to the manager's office to complain. Right away, the manager (middle-aged Indian man) started yelling at my husband...saying things like "You people always want discounts!" Clearly, this must happen all the time there!! My husband told him that we had to purchase cleaner to clean the room ourselves & begged him to come over to see the bits of filth that were floating in the tub. He initially refused & told him that he would send a cleaning person over instead. As we waited in our room, we discussed our options...we came to the conclusion that we would rather sleep in our car than in that filthy room again!! The manager came in shortly after the cleaning lady git there, looked in the jacuzzi, & had the nerve to say that the brown flakes & spiders in the water were FROM US!! We didn't dare set foot in that tub!! Was the last straw. My husband followed the manager back to the office to tell him that we were not staying the 2nd night that we had already paid for & that we wanted a refund for that night. The manager tried to convince him to stay...explained to him that he rarely rents that room out to the public & mostly uses it for his family & personal use. Really?! That room WAS NOT CHEAP!! At $130/night, you would expect to AT LEAST have a clean toilet & comfortable bed, right?? He refunded us for the 2nd night & only gave us a $15 discount on the 1st nightmare of a night. We were so shaken up by everything that we were just relieved to get that & leave that disgusting place asap!! Looking back, we should have demanded a full refund & to be reimbursed for our cleaning supplies!! We were very lucky to find a CLEAN hotel that had a CLEAN room available on the other, much nicer, side of town. We were so distraught by our experience that we asked the employees at this new hotel for a tour of the room 1st before we paid, which they were happy to oblige. Again, if you care about your health, avoid this America's Best Value Inn like the plague!! It is the kind of place you rent by the hour!! We will NEVER stay in one of these chains again!!

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank JulieMP22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
South Gate, California
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I stayed here on 2/15/14 because I was attending an event a the NOS event center. It's an easy 1.5 mile walk from the hotel. I stayed in a room that was renovated. It was nice and clean. Nothing really to complain about. Room had a fridge and microwave so that's a plus. I will stay here again next time I attend another event at the NOS event center.

Room Tip: Ask for a non smoking room
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Stayed one night at this motel, so glad we didn't have to stay any longer, reception staff not at all friendly, which was rather sad as it was our last night in America. The room was very basic and noisy, with the air conditioner going all night, the bed was hard, also the walls are very thin and room next to ours, people were talking and had the TV on untill after 2.30am, hence we had a very broken nights sleep. Breakfast was supposed to be a Continental breakfast, no-one there to man the reception area, so after the African American guy (presume he was homeless), walked in off the street and helped himself to muffins and bananas, we were quite shocked to find that was all breakfast consisted of, bruised bananas, apples and muffins and coffee. Would not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lynda395

Travellers are raving about these San Bernardino hotels

Milazzo, Italy
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The price was good for an overnight stay. The room was big and comfortable enough. The neighbourhood was a bit dark since we came around 10pm and a bit scary especially near McDonalds which was only few blocks away. Service was okay

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Kansas
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We travel to so cal from kansas by amtrak about once a year or more. The Southwest Chief arrives San Bernardino at 5:30am before the rental car places open. The owner is always available even when the train arrives early and we have to check in at 5am before they start the continental breakfast (which is very limited) It is very clean and only a $5 cab ride from the Amtrak station, you could walk it if you had to, but I'm not so sure about the neighborhood. There are restraunts that will deliver to your room. The many times we've stayed here it has always been clean, comfortable and the service is great.

Room Tip: Cleanest and closest to Amtrak station
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank campmomm
Sacramento
Reviewed 22 June 2011

The owners spent a small fortune renovating this place. Unfortunately, the renovation didn't extend to the nearby neighborhood. Though I felt safe at the motel, this is in an area that has been economically destabilized. There are no restaurants within walking distance (that I could find) and very few functioning business. It's just as well because you don't really want to do much walking outside the walls of the motel.

The rooms are very nice and clean. My only complaint would be the extremely thin walls. I could actually understand parts of the conversation being held in the adjacent room. The guests were generally quiet but stayed up very late talking. Usually i can drown out these noises with the wall unit fan and sleep but there's no setting for 'fan only'. It's either heat or cool. I didn't fall asleep until 1 or 2 am. See if you can get a room without neighbors and you should be okay.

I couldn't get the wifi to work but the very friendly front desk clerk lent me an ethernet cable. Each room is fitted with an outlet so don't forget your cat 5 cable. Internet is fast and reliable that way. The breakfast is just the basics - sweets and coffee.

I'd stay here again but be careful about where they put me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without neighbors.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank curtismapman
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 24 May 2011

Not only will I NEVER stay here again, I will warn everyone I can to stay at your own peril. I secured my reservation online, using the discount bullet of AAA, since that gave the best discount. I printed out my confirmation, which included the price (including all taxes) in big, black, bold numbers at the top. After driving for several hours at night, I arrived at the hotel and went to the office to check in. I was told that I was going to have to pay an extra $65 or I wasn't going to be allowed to check in. Even though I showed the clerk my confirmation with the price on it, she spent the next 15 minutes on the phone with someone (speaking in Farsi so I couldn't understand what was being said) debating whether or not to let me check in. Only after I threatened to call the police because they were extorting me did they let me check in. The entire family gathered from the back room (where they live apparently) and made a point to stare at me the entire time I removed my luggage and got into my room. (That wasn't creepy at all)

It was pointless to try to explain to them that there's no way someone can manipulate the price online; it just tabulates it automatically. Even though I was furious, I was too exhausted to try to find another room at another hotel at the late hour, especially given that I had to leave very early in the morning as it was.

Room Tip: stay at your own risk
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled on business