“Pictures don't do it justice”
Review of Wigwam Motel

Wigwam Motel
Ranked #2 of 33 Hotels in San Bernardino
Reviewed 14 June 2014

First of all, the hotel is in Rialto, not San Bernardino, so be sure to put that in your GPS.

The site is immaculately maintained - surprisingly so. While the room is small, it is adequate, and you can park your car right outside. It was unexpected, however, that there is a ceiling and you can not see the top of the teepee from inside! There are plenty of places not too far away to get something to eat.

While certainly not luxury, the rooms are clean. This is definitely an experience worth looking into.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ExperiencedTravelers

Reviewed 14 June 2014

While exploring route 66 I stayed at the Wigwam motel, route 66 trip wouldn't be complete without staying there).

The staff was very friendly, and the wigwam/teepee was clean and fairly well maintained. only item came to my attention was the room was very dimly lit and had no table/desk lamps/light. This made it very difficult to read.

It's location isn't the best. I arrived after dark and walked up one block to "Churches Chicken", which by the way had great chicken. But, during my walk there and back I was approached three time by some seedy suspects, twice I was asked for money, one time asked to use my cell phone. With that said I politely said no, went on my way with no problem. ( Being 6'2'' 260 pounds might have helped, maybe.)

I'm not likely to stay there again, but think it's a deal, and if your doing a route 66 trip I'd recommend saying at least one night.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Manny V
Reviewed 10 June 2014

We had 2 wigwams next to each other. We paid the extra five bucks each for a Queen Deluxe and glad we did as there was a comfy sofa and table in our room. The beds were so high! I love the look and ambience of the place. The pool was the perfect place to cool down. Kumar, the manager is just too cool for skool! What a laugh. I wish that we weren't moving on to our final Route 66 destination as I would have loved to have stayed here some more nights. You must stay here if you are doing the Mother Road!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Oakworthgirl
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We drove just over 5,000 miles in our quest to follow Route 66. There were 7 families in the group. Out last motel before the Santa Monica Pier was at the Wigwam Motel. We ordered pizza to be delivered and then sat around the pool while watching the sun set. It was fantastic. When we retired to the rooms, the beds were comfortable and the room/bath very clean. While the motel is located in an area with some "shady" characters, we felt very safe since the property is completely fenced and we were in a group along with 4 or 5 other overnighters. I would definitely stay here again. And -- to top off our visit, The owner led our group on a tour to the original McDonalds the next morning. Additionally we stopped at the remodeled train station for breakfast. As, I said, this was a perfect way for us to end our trip!!!

Room Tip: They are all the same.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Bill B
Reviewed 30 May 2014

My sister and I traveled the entire Route 66, staying in the iconic hotels when possible and nice chain hotels when it was not. The Wigwam Motel in San Bernadino was absolutely the best! It retains its retro flair, but was completely updated. Extremely comfortable queen bed, nice sofa, coffee table, end table were all obviously newer. The carpet was recent, the room's wall were bright white with a cream accent wall. The bathroom had cool cowboy wallpaper. There was a flat screen TV and a dorm refrigerator. The shower had a seat, and excellent water pressure! Of course you can get all of this in another hotel. The real gem was the Patel family. When we arrived, Kumar was beginning a fire in the fire pit to toast s'mores. They had just finished having a bar-be-que in the pool area. In the morning, he took us and two other guests for a tour of San Bernadino's Route 66 sites. I don't remember when I laughed so much. This is not only a clean and comfortable place to stay, but it is also FUN!

Room Tip: We stayed in Teepee 15. There is no Teepee 13.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank mutzlover
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Its only listed as a 2 star place - It ended up much nicer than I was expecting for something this old.
Its was quite nice and newish looking in the main bedroom. The bathroom was older looking and had some cracked tiles which didn't bother me.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Erich B
Reviewed 29 May 2014

After driving all of rt 66 and staying in kitschy antiquated motels, this was a welcome change. We enjoyed the retro flair of the older places we stayed, but were getting tired of the stale rooms, old beds, and worn-out facilities. The Wigwam Motel maintained its cool and retro vibe, but the room had newer furniture, a flat panel TV, and a nice new sofa. Great balance of old-school 66 and new, comfortable amenities. Plus, the front desk was really friendly and laid-back about checkout time and the pool hours. Probably the best place we stayed on Rt 66!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple