The Wigwam Motel is a charming place with friendly warm service from its resident joker on reception. The mock 'wigwam' in itself is an amusing touch although i'm not sure those of native origins would endorse the brand. However, the rooms were spacious and clean but the picture of the pool was deceptively bigger on the website than in real life and not heated as apparently.... "your not in LA now"... more's the pity.
On route to the motel the area of San Bernardino looked something like the set from a post apocolyptic disaster movie. Our fears were confirmed when asking were was a recommended place to eat to which i was told "If I were you I wouldn't go out, i work here and i don't go out as its not safe at night". So takeaway pizza it was.
Therefore, as we arrived at night and left early morning to continue our road trip, i cannot comment on San Bernardino by day. However, by night i would stay well clear. Would i recommend this motel to others? Yes i would...It is quirky and if you have enough booze packed in your car etc then there is fun to be had in its compound like setting. It certainly brought our group closer together having to find things to amuse ourselves with.
All in all, nice place in wrong area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Historic Route 66! One of the few remaining classic motels. This family-fun roadside attraction was built in 1949 and has undergone a renovation phase. The motel offers a complete guest room in a peculiar fashion of actual wigwam units. The motel comprises of all the standard hotel amenities ! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, 5viajes2012 S.L., Agoda and Odigeo so you can book your Wigwam Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wigwam Hotel San Bernardino
- Wigwam Motel San Bernardino, California