“Exactly what you think”

Ranked #24 of 32 Hotels in San Bernardino
Tucson, Arizona
“Exactly what you think”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

So I didn't want to book this hotel after all the reviews I read. A friend of mine booked it himself without talking to me and I went along with it. It's located behind an abandoned Denny's that seems to attract a lot of sketchy looking folks. The tub had two big chips that were rusting over and slowly becoming holes, the sink was cracked and repaired with what seems like super glue, there were used dirty washcloths hanging from the curtain, and the towel they provided had dried gum in it. The comforter had holes in it, and the whole room smelled like covered up smoke (it was a non-smoking room.) All this I could tolerate (I'm a pretty laid back traveler,) but the kicker was the front desk. I see a lot of reviews complaining about the people at the front desk and think "Oh it's just people who don't know how to respect the service industry" (and usually I'm right.) But in this case it was totally true, the man who checked me in was completely unfriendly and unclear, another night myself and the other friends who rented rooms were harassed by a woman at the front desk. They look like they're renovating the rooms, but that can't make up for the sketchy neighborhood, rude front desk attendants, and overall awfulness of this place. It's a notch up from a hostel.

Room Tip: The second floor rooms look like they were renovated first.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Matthew R
llaneslady, Front Office Manager at Knights Inn San Bernardino, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
We at KNIGHTS INN OF SAN BERNARDINO would like to apologize for the substandard condition of your room and the quality of service you recieved. We take pride in our high standards of cleanliness and service, unfortunately, you experienced a time when we obviously did not meet those standards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Richmond, Canada
Reviewed 18 December 2012

Although it was cheap, I would never ever spend any amount of money to sleep here in the future. We had read the negative reviews after booking and remained optimistic. Unfortunately upon checking in at 8pm there were numerous downfalls:
1) Room was not clean with someone else's leftovers in the fridge
2) All countertops sticky with drink rings
3) Blood or wine stains on side of mattress
4) Lack of parking
5) Toilet paper unraveled
6) Walls paper thin (woke up to kids screaming, yelling and running up and down the staircase at 6:30 am)
7) Hotel staff running a leaf blower at 7am to move water around parking lot
8) Someone's black hair weaved in the tub/shower drain - obviously not cleaned.

As I write this review, the room lights burned out.

This hotel was not worth one penny and I would pay the 50$ a night to NOT sleep here. You've been warned.

Room Tip: Don't stay in 221 - staircase runs right behind the room (can hear everyone but magnified)
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank megdewar

Travellers are raving about these San Bernardino hotels

Mammoth, CA
Reviewed 25 August 2012

Bedbugs in room 104. Don't believe me? Put a heating pad in the bed at night; leave for an hour; come back and look around the bed for small brownish-blackish bugs that look similiar to ticks. We had to vacate in the middle of the night when a bedbug crawled across our 5 year old's forehead.

Room Tip: Don't stay here; that is my tip. Go to nearby Hilton instead. I'm a budget traveler but th...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Georock
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 20 January 2012

Ok for that price. Stayed there on a last minute roadtrip stop to check out the San Manuel Casino, it has a free shuttle there, did not feel like the bed had clean sheets. But everything was working ok and was not falling apart, so I give it an average for the value / price. No mayor complains, but not wowed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Brea, California
Reviewed 3 November 2011

This motel is dishonest, made a reservation and had to call back to cancel game them all the info to cancel and they said they could not fid our reservation and there was nothing to cancel. I was surprised to find out a chrage for the room on my CC, When I called the motel up to have it corrected they were very rude and refuse to do anything bascially to bad. I have contacted my cc company to dispute it. Don't stay here the ethics SUCK

Room Tip: don't bother staying here cause if you have any problems your on your own.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank camsmom2
Newbury Park, California
Reviewed 11 September 2011

Ended up stuck in the area and a long way from home, so I had to find a decent place to crash for the evening. Searched through tons of reviews and found that the Knights Inn was the only place that hadn't been tagged as either a fleabag or a haven for druggies. Made the reservation online and check-in at a late hour was easy. Room was as simple as possible, yet clean, which was fine by me. Bed was comfy and the place overall was quiet. Didn't stick around for the free breakfast (most likely continental or just a lobby coffee maker), but I did like the free L.A. Times in the lobby when I checked out. They also had soda/snack machines and ice, which helped take care of my late night appetite.

Only points of concern, which may apply to other visitors:
- Wireless internet was down when I visited, which I was hoping to have during the stay
- Location is not that great, esp. for families. Even though it's freeway close, you won't find the same options as other interstate motels. There's a boarded-up Denny's in the same lot, and no other chain-type restaurants nearby. At night, even though the whole property and the parking lot is well-illuminated, there's a lot of other open lot space leading to the street on almost every side of the property that's pitch black. There was a gas station/mini-mart next door and a 7-Eleven convenience store across the street, but both had some shady characters hanging out nearby.
- TV channel selections were OK (a mix of local and cable), but picture quality on some of them were very poor.

On the plus side, it was a good value at under $50 given the circumstances, and would probably be ideal if your ONLY criteria are safety and general, no-frills comfort.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
LA
Reviewed 19 December 2010

Booked a room here through a website, and we escaped from this horrible place 30 minutes after we checked in.

Checking in was easy, no problem there. The room at first glance was just ok, there was a heavy cigarette smell even though it said on the door that this was a non-smoking room. I thought it was probably normal for a cheap motel like that, but when I walked in the tiny bathroom, I couldn't help frowning. I really didn't feel like using the shower at all, it looked old and dirty. All the towels were either dirty or had stains on them. I had to cover the toilet seat with toilet papers, and it took me 4 tries to finally flush it. Then I noticed something that looked like blood stains on the bathroom door and wall, which was a little creepy.

Then we checked the bed, and found hairs on it, so we went to the front desk. The lady there told us that we'd have to change the sheets ourselves because the cleaning maid's not there. Sure ok, we could do that. But guess what we found after removing the bedding? A fitted sheet that didn't fit the bed, and beneath that, pubic hairs and something that looked awfully like urine stain!

At that we couldn't stay there any longer, and went to the front desk again, asking for a cleaner room, but was told that it was already the cleanest room they've got. Leaving us no other choice, we asked for a refund because we were going somewhere else. The lady refused and started arguing with us. Finally she said that we would have to have someone from the website through which we booked this room to call them.

Considering that we didn't feel it was a safe area, and the health hazard, we'd rather stay somewhere else, even if we were not getting that $45 back from them.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
Rodeway Inn & Suites
Rodeway Inn & Suites
#5 of 7 in Colton
Comfort Inn & Suites Colton

Been to Knights Inn San Bernardino? Share your experiences!