“Bad experience”

Ranked #15 of 32 Hotels in San Bernardino
El Dorado Hills, California
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2014

The rate I negotiated was $79 a night, which is less than other hotels in the area that I have stayed in. What a huge mistake though. I asked for a non-smoking room. I got a smoking room. The carpet looked like it had mashed up dog poop in it that no one bothered to clean up. The toilet "howled" when flushed. The toilet had black mold growing under the rim of the bowl. Cannot overstate how unclean the floors, curtains and appliances were. The bed looked good, smelled good and was VERY COMFORTABLE. The heating only worked without making obnoxious noises by placing thermostat indicator on lower heat. The room did have a refrigerator and good TV. I accidentally touched the fabric blinds as I was opening the window and my hand touched something moist and yuky. Only one of the two window locks on the single window worked. The walls had marks on them.

My friend stayed in the room next to me. It was suppose to be smoking but had no ashtray. She felt the same about her room that I did about mine.

We were on the third floor and had to walk around to the back of the building to find the elevator then drag the luggage around the other side of the building. Very inconvenient. But even worse was that the walkway was very narrow and sloped a bit away from the building. I had to fight vertigo the entire time I had to walk around the outside. Really do not recommend staying on the upper floors if you don't like heights like me.

The cleaning staff I saw was an older hispanic male and female. Not one person cleaning that looked under 50 or so.

The office looked clean and the outside of the building looked good but I do not recommend staying this hotel unless you are a smoker with dog who does not have issues with cleanliness, heights or walking with up and down stairs.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank bsudiane1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
WA, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

We stayed in this property a few years ago and we stayed again due to the location and rates. Just a basic room with no fridge or microwave but had a big screen tv and coffee maker. Bed was comfortable, everything very clean, decorated nicely and well maintained. The bathroom fixtures were showing their age but everything worked. The toilet was quite musical when flushed. The receptionist called to ask if our room was OK after we checked in. That was a first! Outside traffic was quite noisy but expected I think located next to a freeway. The outside pool looked gorgeous but was not heated so the water was freezing. I have never seen anyone use it both visits.

Room Tip: Top floor might be quieter. There is a elevator to all three floors.
1 Thank Janette H
San Jose, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2013

GOOD: Staff SUPER! Room spacious . King size bed old but good. Wifi worked well.
BAD: Very old--outside entry (freeway noise and other people noise all night). Breakfast a joke, not LaQuinta standards.

Room Tip: We asked for a quiet room, which it was NOT. And it was away from the freeway. Easy walking for ou...

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 December 2013

We checked in pretty late on Christmas day into one of their pet rooms. It had 2 double beds and a table with 2 chairs. It smelled a little musty, but not completely unpleasant. We settled in and went to bed, but throughout the entire night, people were coming & going outside. It probably didn't help that our room was right next to the stairs leading to the other floors and the foot traffic continued until around 3am (I recommend you request a room far from the stairs). We didn't complain though until morning when I'd asked if we could move to another room. They were more than happy too and apologized for the disturbances. The room they moved us to was identical only had a fridge and microwave in it (upgrade). Upon checking out 3 days later, we discovered that they had given us $50 off our room the first night and didn't charge us for the upgraded room the last nights. Needless to say, they saved face with us. We will be staying there again when we have our dog with us.

Room Tip: Don't get a room near the stairs.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family

1 Thank sam1046nate
houston
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2013

This location is an easy drive from Tucson. The motel is an older unit but our room was perfect (as usual, since we have Elite status). The room and bed were clean, well maintained and comfy. The motel is crammed in between properties on each side and it backs onto I-10, so the only place to go is out along the street. I'd recommend asking for a room out front near the office. The back area seems too secluded for me. The breakfast was typical LQ. These older units have a crammed serving and seating area, which is not a problem for me. The staff was friendly but you only talk with them on checking in-out. The parking has been top-coated with some kind of black stuff, so it tracks into the room. This is office-park like properties on the north side of the street and motels/restaurants on the same side nearby, and it seems like a safe place as we've walked the dog around those areas. There's really not many grass areas to potty a dog - it's a busy street. We found a dog potty place along the grass strip behind the adjacent Red Lobster (where we have gotten take-out the 2 times we've stayed here). IHOP is on the other side. I only rate this very good not excellent because it's an older motel but still entirely satisfactory.

Room Tip: Become a LQ elite member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

Mold on the bathroom walls and around toilet, dirty carpet, seal around room door, which leads to the outside, pratically non existant. Hotel did accomadate me with a room credit.
Bed was comfortable and clean & breakfast was good.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travellers are raving about these San Bernardino hotels

Sunnyvale, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Just to be honest this is not my favorite La Quinta. We haven't stayed here for at least 15 years. But, since we had a couple of free nights due to "La Quinta Returns" and it was half way to our destination we decided to give it another try. It is located near the Black Angus, Costco, Outback, IHOP, and many other restaurants within a mile or so. Which make grabbing a meal easy. The rooms still need some updating. They just do not smell nice. Front desk staff were professional and helpful. Did not try the free breakfast.

Room Tip: Very large multiple floors with exterior doors, they do have an elevator.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with family