Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights. The hotel is only about 5 minutes from SFO. The neighborhood en route to the hotel from the airport looked a little scary to us, to be honest. We were a bit nervous as to what we would find upon arriving at the hotel, after passing run down buildings and questionable looking people on the street. To our relief, the Villa Montes turned out to be a very nice little hotel.

Our room was very clean and elegantly furnished. The small underground garage is free, but we wondered if there were enough parking spaces if the hotel was full. The first night (a Saturday) we took the last available space.

We also noticed some airport noise (planes landing), but soon discovered that it was because the window was open slightly. So, after getting to your room, make sure to close the window, which I think they leave open to keep the room fresh. After closing the window we didn't hear anything the rest of the night, which was great.

The pool is small, but elegant, like everything else in the hotel. The breakfast is normal fare (similar to a Hampton, but without the eggs and breakfast meats). In the evenings there are free cookies at the front desk. My husband said he saw free glasses of wine too. We asked the front desk how old the hotel was, and it was built four years ago.

Driving from San Bruno to San Francisco is easy, though about 20 minutes duration (approx 13 miles). We noticed that leaving the hotel and heading towards San Francisco, the neighborhood looked gentrified - there was a Barnes and Noble, JC Penney, and Applebees, all newly built, it looked like. So, the poor neighborhood seemed to be relegated to the stretch from the airport to the hotel, much to our relief.

Overall, it was a very good stay. Both nights we had dinner in San Francisco, so I can't really comment about the restaurants nearby. I did have a great nights' sleep and a good breakfast the next morning, but I might not choose to stay here again, simply because of the distance from San Francisco. Others might not think it too far, however.

Room Tip: Make sure to close the window after getting to your room. I think they normally leave them open a l...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 6 October 2012

Half an hour drive from San Fran or a few blocks from the BARD station. SUPER CHEAP, I couldn't believe it, worth the drive. Wdie variety at free breakfast. Free room upgrade after we booked online, can't remember which site. Only down side was no pool but a nice tranquility spa (a big hot tub and a sauna).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 October 2012

I needed a hotel for one night after traveling a long flight from the east coast before starting a road trip across CA. This was perfect. The hotel is about 5 minutes from the airport (probably under 2 miles). There is parking available so it was convenient to pick up the rental car, drive to the hotel, and have the car there for the next morning. The hotel did offer complimentary airport pick up through a taxi service they call, which is nice too.

The room was just what you'd want to find after a long day of traveling - welcoming, comfortable and plush. I particularly enjoyed the Bath and Body Works toiletries left in the bathroom. I had a great night's sleep.

The hotel is near a lot of restaurants and shopping areas which was convenient (more driving distance though) to grab a bite to eat late night and pick up some odds and ends I had forgotten to pack.

The next morning I had complimentary breakfast in the lobby which was great - a nice selection of cereals, bagels, coffee, juice, and a make your own waffle machine. There is an iHop right next to the hotel, but this was perfect to have a quick breakfast before checking out for the day.

The rest of the hotel was lovely and the staff very pleasant. I didn't stay long enough to check out the spa area, but I peaked in and it looked very nice!

I would definitely spend a longer amount of time again if I was back in the area. This place was great.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Oh my goodness, what a wonderful treat. From the moment Maroune greeted us, we felt special. They do everything possible to make each guest feel special. This was a real deal just outside of pricey San Francisco. We enjoyed having two televisions! We walked to a nearby restaurant. If we had known how close we were to downtown San Francisco, then we probably would have just gone there for dinner. The subway is close by, but being country folks, we couldn't figure out the schedule. Thought we might get lost, so stayed close by. The rooms were like new! Immaculate. Cookies and wine at the desk. Staff does a "walk through" the property several times a day. Breakfast was good. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: We had a suite overlooking a neighborhood and it was just fine.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I found the rooms to be very nice. The bed was confortable and there were nice chairs and a desk to sit at. The whole hotel was very clean. I liked the excercise room located on the roof with a great view of SFO. The continental breakfast was fine, nothing too fancy. The best thing about this hotel was the very cool jucuzzi/sauna room which was like an escape to a tropical rainforest! Another plus for me was the hip lounge music (Serge Gainsbourg, etc..) that you hear throughout the hotel and lobby areas. Nice touch! I will for sure stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 September 2012

Make sure you do not get a room facing the street. So noisy from the traffic below and we were on the 3rd floor. Awning outside banged against the wall all night on top of it. Front desk would not change our room and the reason given was that this reservation was booked through a 3rd party and not direct with them. When I pressed we were then told that only suites were on the other side of the building. If offered the option to pay for an upgrade we likely would have. I said if the hotel isn't sold out then why can't a change be made. Then he said they were sold out....the whole experience was very disappointing and we have plans to travel there regularly but will likely find another option.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Travelin2Anywhere
Reviewed 19 September 2012

Not my first time at the Villa Montes, and not likely the last. The staff are very helpful and polite, definitely make the stay the best it can be. The rooms are clean, current, and are nicely equipped.

For a business traveler, this hotel is easily the best value and then some. Transfers to and from the airport, quick and courteous staff, and high quality rooms. Tons of great amenities including free parking, wifi, breakfast, gym, and a glass of wine. Close to a shopping center, Caltrain, and BART stations. What more could you want?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Courtyard San Francisco Airport
Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno

Been to Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!