“Good little hotel near SFO airport”

Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We stayed here for two nights during a recent trip to San Francisco. Overall the experience was very pleasant. Considering the convenience to the airport and to San Francisco the price was very reasonable for what you got. The continental breakfast was decent every morning and room was very clean and well presented. That said, if you are light sleeper you might want to request a room in the back of the hotel away from the main drag. The street noise was constant all night in the first room we were given making it hard to sleep. To the hotels credit, they did move us to the other side of the hotel when we requested and the noise level was much more tolerable there. Considering you are in a city close to everything for the convenience, the noise is to be expected so its hard to knock the hotel for that. The only other thing that was a bit of a disappointment was the room size. Our room seemed a bit small and after adding our luggage to the room, the luggage and the king bed took up the majority of the space. That said, it wasn't so small to make it uncomfortable.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back of the hotel are quieter.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We only stayed here 1 night before an early morning flight out the next day. Wish we could have stayed longer. This hotel is so charming! The decor is not typical hotel. Our room was spacious, clean and quiet.We scheduled a free shuttle to the airport, which arrived right on time. My only complaint is the breakfast the next morning was all cold items. Still, I will absolutely stay here again when flying into or out of SFO.

1  Thank FiftiesGal
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Minutes from SFO, we decided to book this hotel due to our late night arrival. While the Choice Hotels brand is not considered the top of the line, their Villa Montes Hotel exceeded our expectations. Uniquely designed and with quality linens, this hotel offered friendly 4-star service. We did not indulge in the waterfall spa, but it definitely looked inviting. We would seriously consider staying at other Villa Montes hotels and most likely return to this hotel should we return to the San Francisco area. The airport noise level is noisy, but quiet during the late evening and early morning hours.

2  Thank PepperNewJersey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Everything was good. My only minor gripe would be that the room had a musty smell when we first got there. We opened the windows ant it eventually went away. The staff was great, and the location was good. The hotel seemed too nice for the area it was in. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 16 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for one night to attend the Paul McCartney concert at Candlestick Park. I wish we could have spent more time here. The room was nice, modern, and clean. The hotel lobby and grounds were in excellent shape and while I did not spend any time in the spa, I did go check it out and it looks very relaxing. This is definitely a good place to stay if you need to be near SFO. From our room, we could see the SFO parking garage and planes taking off. Some fly right over the roof of the hotel. We slept very well. There is free underground parking, breakfast, and free wi-fi. I will keep this hotel in mind next time we need to stay in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JHunter26
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We booked 3 rooms at this beautiful hotel. Not having stayed in San Bruno before, I wasn't sure what to expect, however it was a wonderful stay for all of my family. The rooms were clean, beautifully decorated, and best of all, very comfortable beds as well as wonderful bedding. We felt like we were in a luxury hotel but paid a very reasonable price. The staff, specifically Caleb was exceptional and even offered my husband and I a glass of wine while we waited momentarily for our rooms to be available. The breakfast was perfect for us and everything was great.
I would definitely book rooms at this hotel again! One of our family members took a flight out of SF and the shuttle service was good too!

Room Tip: If you stay on the 2nd floor, you'll have direct access to the great spa area (pool, sauna)... r...
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I booked 2 nights through Hotwire and due to a missed connecting flight I can only stay for the second night, as I will only arrive 24 hrs later. Little did I know when I finally arrived at the hotel, they said that due to no show on the first night, they cancelled my 2nd night stay just like that - without informing me, without calling to check with me. The least they could do is to reach me before cancelling. And so there I was stranded without a hotel. The funny thing is that they said they have to cancel the hotel to give the room (which I have paid for) to another person... Then later they said they actually have another room, but I can't pay hotwire rates. So why did they give my room instead of that empty room to the other person in the first place?

This is the background story only. The worst thing is that the guy on the front desk was utterly impolite and bordering on racism, when he mentioned I can probably go look for a hotel at chinatown. I was a San Bruno and they tell me to go chinatown to look for a hotel?

Ridiculous and racist.

Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront

Been to Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!