“A Great Value, Close to SFO and Friendly staff”

Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed 4 February 2008

Based on past TripAdvisor reviews we gave it a chance. Located only one mile from SFO, the JNJ Shuttle Co (complimentary) was prompt picking us up. Check in was by the general manager who was very friendly and helpful. We were on a Choice Privileges Reward stay at 8000 pts per night which is a great bargain . Two story older building that current owners are showing pride of ownership. This is not fancy, but Clean, Close to the Airport with Free Breakfast, Wireless Internet and Shuttle. We'll definitely use it again.

Stayed: February 2008
There are newer reviews for Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST

Reviewed 12 November 2007

First, let me say I'm a very frequent traveler who is happy to settle for a decent room at a fair price. I'm surprised sometimes when reviewers tank a hotel because it doesn't meet their expectations, though its star rating clearly should indicate the class of service to expect.

That said, when I found this through some searching while needing a single night before a flight out of SFO, I was a little hesitant based on the one star classification here at TripAdvisor. In fact, I often don't even include them in my searches. Fortunately, the 4-star review average and comments were comforting.

And I'm glad I stayed here. It's the best 1-star property I've ever been in. :-) This place was great for a one-star, very nice for a 2-star, and decent as a 2.5 star (which is how Expedia classifies it, I'll add). Let me elaborate and add to some points others have made.

I mean, I've never stayed in a 1-star hotel that had an interior (enclosed) courtyard on the 2nd floor, with a running fountain and huge skylight! :-) OK, it was an odd touch. Makes you wonder what was there before (if anything), but it was nicely surrounded by several chairs making it a pleasant place to hang out if you had some time to kill.

To more practical matters, the room was very spacious, with 2 desks, and a fridge and microwave. The sink/vanity was outside the bathroom, though, which might strike some as odd. I would have thought it perhaps handicapped accessible but there was no such designation and the photos shown all seem to match what I saw, so perhaps all 29 rooms are fitted this way.

The vanity had a marble top, which again was a nice touch for this class of room. The shower also had both an upscale temperature selection mechanism as well as one of those nice curtains that bows out to give you space while in the shower. One negative was that the means to turn on the shower (pulling down a ring from the base of the faucet) was not obvious, but fortunately there was a nice sign on the wall explaining that. Another negative was that the floor of the shower was somewhat curved and a bit slippery, but there was an available mat rolled up in the corner.

The towels were more in keeping with a 1-2 star room, being a little course and thin, but contrasting that were 5 nice pillows on the bed and attractive pictures in the room. There was also a coffee maker and iron and ironing board. Again, these are not things you'd expect in a 1-star room. And the light-switch by the front door and in the shower both had an option to be set as motion-sensing (a first in my having stayed in hundreds of rooms the world over). Finally, the TV had many channels (50+ it seemed), for those who care about such things.

Now, if it were indeed listed as 3-star, one could complain about just a couple of things. First, the front door had a lock where the desk staff had to buzz you in. That will certainly disappoint many. It didn't seem like an unsafe area for me. In fact, it's right next to the airport, so you'd think the only folks would be those working there, but on looking out the window of my room I could see we were next to houses, so apparently folks do live in the area. Another curious thing was a prominent sign about them taking a $100 deposit for cash customers. Kind of leaves one wondering what that's all about, which is too bad.

As far as car safety, there is a parking garage inside the hotel, which seemed as valuable for guaranteeing easy parking as much as anything else. Along those lines, I'll note that though it's a 3-floor facility, there was indeed an elevator to the upper floors.

As for it being next to the airport, well, there was some noise. (I do pity those poor folks who DO live next door.) When some of the planes took off it sounded like they were just buzzing the hotel--a real roar (not a constant parade of them, so perhaps it depended on the plane type and runway used). That's bummer is due to the location, of course, so not a knock on the hotel itself. At least that didn't go all night. (I brought earplugs, fortunately, so even then it wouldn't have bothered me.) The sound of the heater kicking on was a little loud for my taste, but perhaps most won't notice that.

But I really want to stress the positives, and there are still more. First, I want to give kudos to the front desk staff. The gent the night before was pleasant enough and took my reservation for a morning shuttle to the airport (about 10 minutes drive). The young man in the morning was really very nice. He immediately recognized I had a shuttle due to arrive 30 minutes later. I proceeded to enjoy the breakfast and TV in the break area (small, but clean).

The breakfast was decent. I've had my share of typical hotel setups with coffee, milk, juice, cereal, breads, and the self-service waffle maker, and this had all that. Again, to the credit of the young man at the desk, he patiently helped those who kept making mistakes with the waffles--forgetting to flip it upside down, forgetting to spray the iron first, all despite clear signage. He was amazingly patient. The breakast also offered boiled eggs (a curious touch) and chilled yogurt cups. Finally, FWIW, I noticed that the vending machines (on the room floors) were also very reasonably priced (1.25 for sodas, .75 for candy).

All in all, I give the hotel a high rating for the class it's listed as and the price (which on my night was just $76 purchased from the hotel site itself, though a walk-in the night I checked in was quoted $125.) If not for the lock on the door, the issue about cash customers, and the airplane noise, I'd give it a rating of 5 simply to say that for its class it's quite good.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank carehart
Reviewed 1 October 2007

We arrived at SFO, rented a car and drove to the hotel. For those with cars, the hotel is very convenient (has free parking); however, there isn't much near it if you have to walk. Likewise, the BART is very near if you have a car; a little far if you are walking.

The man at the front desk was very friendly and helpful; when we arrived hungry, he suggested three nearby restaurants and gave us printed directions. We chose TGI Fridays. Our room was off a covered center courtyard with fountain. It was a nice, peaceful area in which to sit and read. The room itself was clean and included a small fridge and microwave. The bed was comfortable. My only complaint was that the fan in the bathroom (which turned on with the light) was very loud. Being near the airport, of course, we heard some airplanes but actually not as many as I would have thought.

The free breakfast was rather basic but did include make-your-own-waffles. I've had better breakfast choices at Marriotts, for example, but there certainly was enough choice here that I did not feel the need to go elsewhere for breakfast.

Overall, it was a good experience and I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2007

We recently spent one night at the Comfort Inn Suites in San Bruno and it was a really nice Hotel. We arrived quite tired from a motorcycle trip and were not too happy about not being able to find the hotel. Our friend ended up calling the Hotel and they directed us in. This hotel has underground parking which was nice since we were on Harley's but both ends of the garage are open to the street. The front desk employee told us to park the bikes across from the doorway to the office and said he would keep an eye on them for us while we were sleeping. This was nice and made us feel better. When we got up in the morning there was a really nice breakfast to choose from. You could have muffins, danish, bagels, etc. You could make your own homemade waffles, have yogurt, hard boiled eggs (cold) and an assortment of drinks. Was really good. This Hotel has a center court on the first floor of rooms. There was a fountain in the middle surrounded by four sets of love seats where you could meet your friends and socialize. It was really quite nice. Our room consisted of a king sized bed, a bathroom (sink was outside bedroom) a desk and chair. It was very clean and also had a small fridge, microwave and coffee maker. Price was great for what we got and we would visit this Hotel again. We went to the local Chilis' for dinner and the food was great and very inexpensive. If visiting this area, check this Hotel out.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
1  Thank martymonty
Reviewed 4 October 2006

We chose this hotel for a 2 day stay based on it's low price ($67 on their website) and it's proximity to the SFO Rental Car Center as we were renting a car for local daytrips that would have to be returned in the very early am hours. We took the BART from our previous hotel in Union Square and picked up a rental in the evening and only had a few short blocks to the hotel.

The room we got was more than adequate and quite comfy and clean- had a minifridge, microwave and coffeepot too, Continental breakfast from 6-9 had cereal, waffles, hard boiled eggs and prepackaged pasteries as well as english muffins and bread with a toaster.

The neighborhood was not the best- the Rental Car centerwas a few blocks in one direction and a rather gloomy residential area otherwise with only a local pizza joint close by- in fairness we never traveled in the other direction to see if it was better or had more to offer , but from a distance it appeared more of the same.

But, altogether the stay was satisfactory, staff helpful and the parking under the hotel seeemed safe enough. We were glad for the proximity to the car rental return and to the entrance to Route 101 , which we hopped on to go to Pebble Beach, so at this price , we'd certainly stay again.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lulutoo
Reviewed 24 August 2006

I picked this hotel for my 3 free nights (points earned through getting the Choice Hotels Visa card). I wasn't expecting much in that neighborhood and was delighted to find a very nice small hotel. The only non-smoking room they had available when I checked in was a handicap room. I hated the shower with the built in bench and showerhead on a hose, but other than that the room was normal. It was very large and had a king bed, a dining table and a work desk. Everything was clean and looked quite new. Free parking, local calls, WiFi Internet access, USA Today and enahanced continental breakfast were all much appreciated. Despite the proximity to the airport and a room facing busy San Bruno Ave, it was very quiet. Regular rates were in the $80-110 range so obviously I wouldn't stay here if I had to pay for it since for that kind of money I can get a 4-star hotel in downtown SF on Priceline.

• Stayed: August 2006, travelled solo
2  Thank zbenye
Reviewed 19 July 2006

I only stayed here because of the convenience and close proximity to SFO. But, I was very happy with the room, and how clean it was. The mattress was firm and not droopy as some hotel beds are. The location of this hotel (San Bruno) is certainly not the best that San Francisco has to offer, but there are restaurants close by, and a parking garage at the hotel, so I felt safe. The continental breakfast offered in the morning was much more than I would expect for a hotel of this size. The staff was very friendly. Overall, I highly recommend this hotel, and will definitely consider staying there again on my next trip to the west coast.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled on business
5  Thank bjk5692
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Bruno
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#2 of 13 in San Bruno
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST? Share your experiences!