“Comfortable, convenient location; renovated; "iffy" neighborhood....”

Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Strongsville, Ohio
“Comfortable, convenient location; renovated; "iffy" neighborhood....”
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I had stayed at this hotel several years ago, and chose it again at short notice. I found that the rooms had been nicely renovated in the intervening period, and they were comfortable and clean. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. Location is only a five-minute drive from the SFO rental car facility, and the availability of a car would be good if you needed to find nearby restaurants, as there are none in the immediate area. Parking is free, a nice bonus, but the garage space is not that large.
Breakfast is adequate, with waffles, scrambled eggs, sausage. Beds are comfortable, but the pillows are small, hard, and quite annoying. (I mentioned this at check-out and was told that they were being replaced in January.)
I think that this would be a nice choice for an overnight stay between flights, or a longer stay if you have access to a car. Again, I was very pleased by all the staff members I encountered!
A possible negative is that some departing flights pass directly overhead, depending on wind direction, but that didn't happen very often.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This was the first hotel we stayed at on a 4-night Pacific Coast Highway trip. I took advantage of Choice’s Best Rate Guarantee which made the night free (Sans a $1.00 occupancy tax) and wasn’t expecting much as a result. I was happy to be proven wrong.

First off, there’s free parking. That’s always a huge plus in San Francisco. The downside is that the nearest BART station (San Bruno) is about 1.5 miles away. That’s not a huge walk, but good luck getting a cab to come out to take you there for that fare. As we decided to brave the hills in San Francisco, I don’t know whether or not the hotel shuttle will bring you there/pick you up. I’d suspect not.

The rooms are average. We had 2 Queens with plenty of space to maneuver in. The beds were comfortable enough. There was a hole in the side of one of our mattresses that was covered up by the bedding. There is a separate sink area from the bathroom which is always nice in the morning to brush your teeth while someone else showers.

Breakfast was a little bit of a letdown. There weren’t a whole lot of options available. They have a DIY waffle maker that must be out of calibration. 3 waffles between 3 people and all were not done when the griddle said they were. They also need to invest in a non-stick spray for their guests as it’s impossible to remove the waffle intact.

The manager was friendly, but we didn’t have a lot of interaction. There isn’t a whole lot to do in the area. It’s great for catching a flight, but that’s about it. Speaking of, there is some noise from flights as it is close to the airport. I’d estimate that it was at its loudest every 30 minutes or so. But, it wasn’t deafening and we were able to sleep through it. Plus, flights out stop at midnight or so.

I went in expecting little and the bar was raised a bit. But, let’s face it, it’s a motel brand. If you know what you’re booking, you’ll be just fine.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Virginia Beach
Reviewed 20 September 2012

I did an exhaustive search of hotels for a San Francisco vacation and I picked this one because the pictures made it look nice and I preferred a two room suite and they had one at a reasonable price.

Even though the pictures were accurate the hotel was not as nice as I expected. In general the decor was somewhat average and maybe a little outdated. The room itself was nice as it was large and clean. The room we had was two rooms (the only two room suite they have) with a TV and bed in each room. There was one bathroom and the other bedroom had a sink and fridge and microwave. The heat was a little noisy. The beds were comfortable but they should invest in some better pillows. Also the toilet pipes were noisy.

They had a small covered parking area. Somewhat tight but never had a problem finding a space. The wireless worked well and I never had an issue. The breakfast was pretty small. For a day or two it was find but after that there needs to be more variety. Sausage, eggs, a few pastries, and some cereal. The eating area only had a couple of tables.

I am not sure how safe the neighborhood is. My view from the room as a backyard with lots of junk in it and a few chickens. No place to walk to. There were several restaurants within a couple miles.

The airport is very close. Five minutes to rental car return. But this is also the main reason I say noisy. The planes from SFO takeoff right over the hotel which is very loud. One time I counted 4 between 1am and 2am.

The staff was very friendly and helpful. They seemed willing to do whatever was necessary.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
West Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 1 September 2012

We booked into this place because it was listed as being so close to the SFO airport and we needed just one night to break up our long trip from Asia to Fl. and it offered free shuttle. The shuttle went a long route and it took 30 min to get there. Terrible area --no place to walk to for dining. They do have a order in place. The roonm was clean and basic--fine. Our breakfast the next am was OK except the eggs smelled bad and were grey!! Overall overpriced and would not stay there next time.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these San Bruno hotels

SC
Reviewed 13 August 2012

We stayed here at the end of a very long trip on the west coast. I selected the property due to its proximity to SFO and the car rental return. It was a nice surprise.

We reserved the room at the Choice.com site for around $100 a night. I did have several question before we arrived and they were answered promptly by email.We received an email before our visit welcoming us. When we checked in the young lady at the desk was super friendly and helpful. She changed our room when she saw our preference on check in for a quiet room. We met the manager several times in our brief stay and he was always very friendly and asked us if there was anything we needed. After we left I got an email from the manager thanking us for our stay.

Here is a break down of pros and cons;

Pros
Great service
Free parking, internet, and breakfast
great price
minutes from SFO
very clean room and bath room
free airport shuttle (for those that needed it)

Cons
Funny small square bed pillows for sleeping (in the pillow cases were approximately 12 x 12 inch pillows. A little small and a little hard!
AC was a bit loud and it cycled on and off as an energy saver. I personally would just rather it run and make "white noise". This really did not bother me when I put in my ear plugs at night.

Summary...I certainly would not hesitate to stay there again or recommend it to others. In fact, there was at least one family that had been there a week and used it as their base for an affordable SF vacation and just used BART to get to the city.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Plano, Texas
Reviewed 26 July 2012

This hotel's manager's wife has serious issues. She, an Indian, would like to walk in leisurely anytime she wishes and find issues to scold employees in front of customers, somethings that she could have probably found by being available earlier.

She also claims that she is the owner though it is her husband listed as owner in the reception

Donot expect her to treat the customer any better.

If you feel like calling the cops.. hmm.. i would say just find a different hotel

Also the cleaning lady stole a few brand new hair clips which were unopened

Room Tip: Stay here hoping not to run into the owner's wife
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Trenton, NJ
Reviewed 27 June 2012

We stayed here earlier this month and if I had known now what I knew when I booked the room, I would have tried another place. I booked this hotel because I needed a suite, it was close to the airport, had a free shuttle to/from the airport and free breakfast. I thought the price was a little high but it had what I was looking for and it was for only one night. We had a problem with the free shuttle on arrival. I would say half of it was our fault because we weren't in the right place to pick up the shuttle but the hotel paperwork I printed before leaving home, did not say where to pick up the shuttle. After an hour and a half of waiting they agreed to pay for our taxi. Our taxi driver could not find the place. This was not the hotel's fault but didn't make matters better and he charged us over $20 for the ride. We got to the hotel very late after traveling all day and the lady at the front desk gave us such attitude for not being in the right place for the shuttle. We had never been to San Francisco before and were not familiar with the airport, fine but there was no need for the attitude. When we got to our room it smelled. I don't know if it was musty or what but I guess they don't believe in airfreshners. We found the sheets on the bed questionable so with this and the smell, we found it dirty. The airplanes were extremely loud and flying by very early in the morning. The next morning we needed to pick up our rental car and the guy at the front desk said it was easier for us to walk there as it was only 10 mins away as he would have to reserve the shuttle, etc. I found that it would be inconvenient for him so I agreed. I had no idea that it would take us an hour and that we have to walk around fences as there were no shortcuts so it seemed to take forever to get there. Driving back to the hotel it was only a 5 min trip which just fueled the fire more knowing how close it was and the taxi driver couldn't find it. I personally would not recommend this hotel even if only for one night.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Bruno
Best Western Plus El Rancho Inn
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airport Hotel
Best Western Plus Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
Hotel Aura San Bruno
Hotel Aura San Bruno
#3 of 13 in San Bruno
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Millwood Inn & Suites
Millwood Inn & Suites
#3 of 7 in Millbrae

Been to Comfort Inn & Suites San Francisco Airport WEST? Share your experiences!