“Deja vu- still great service and price”

Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Reviewed 1 November 2011

Have had the opportunity to stay here several times over the past few years, the latest being this past Sunday. Very consistent service, pricing, cleanliness and shuttle.

You can't beat their combination. This is our go to hotel when in the bay area.

Recommend calling the hotel directly for better rates and asking for an email confirmation. It works!

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank EmptyNesterHawaii

Reviewed 12 October 2011

By doing some quick homework searching for a hotel prior to out trip to San Fran I was shocked to find out the cost of most of the hotels in Fishermans Wharf and Union Square. Gateway Inn is reasonable for the price! The location is a four block walk to the CalTrain in San Bruno, which takes you down to King and 4th street for about $5.00 for a day pass (approx 20 min). From there we took a bus to get down to the wharf/union square/alcatraze etc.....for about $2.00. We opted not to rent a car, but it looks like there was free parking @ the hotel, which is rare to find in San Fran. The free shuttle to and from the airport was also a big bonus and because this hotel is in San Bruno the trip to the airport was very quick- approx 5 min or so. The rooms are big and have a microwave and fridge. The only disappointing part of the hotel was that there was no safe - I prefer to have my passport and personal belongings locked up when we aren't in the room - so we opted for no maid services, by putting the "Do not disturb" sign up. The breakfast is pretty basic, but for the price of the hotel you can't complain to much. There is also no pool @ the hotel, but we wouldn't have time to use it anyway - to busy exploring San Fran. We would probably stay here again if we were to return to the area.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Our confirmed, credit card backed reservations were canceled and we were left stranded by the Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel! After staying at this hotel the week before, I made telephone reservations to stay there again for our return trip to the SF Bay Area. After providing her with my credit card number, I took down the receptionist's name and the confirmation number, and she stated, "Since it is beyond the cancellation date, you cannot cancel this reservation and your credit card will be charged whether or not you occupy the room. If you are arriving after midnight, please call beforehand to make sure the door is unlocked." I assured her that my 13 year old son and I would arrive before midnight. When I called at 10:30pm to advise them I would be there within 10 minutes, a Mr. Angulo informed me that our reservations had been canceled because we had not answered their two attempts to call us on the phone. When I reached the property shortly thereafter, another person was asking the night clerk (not Mr. Angulo) about his reservation, which, it turned out, had been canceled also. Only after officer Fyfe of the San Bruno Police Department assisted me in convincing the night clerk that he should help locate a hotel of similar price and quality (incident report number 110814003) did the night clerk try in earnest to help. We ended up staying in a Comfort Inn in Castro Valley, 27 miles away, reaching there at 1:30am. Needless to say, I will be complaining to the Better Business Bureau and the AAA, which rates this hotel. Unfortunately, you can not trust this establishment to honor your reservations. I suggest don't make them. Stay away!

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank longtimetraveler2011
JohnHira, Manager at Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2011

We apologize for the the inconvenience. Our policy is to honor all guaranteed reservations. However, this was an isolated incident. We hope that you will choose our hotel again when visiting the area.

Reviewed 31 May 2011

Nice room. Clean. Fridge, microwave...towels and bed cleaned every day. Breakfast could have been better but for what I paid it was fine. San Fran & Bart nearby. Would recommend to anyone on a budget. Many of the other expensive hotels were on the same strip. Makes no sense to pay over one hundred bucks on these when this one is a couple of blocks away.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing El Camino Real / the street
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 May 2011

This property is a gem. Wish I had found it three years ago. Staff are friendly and well trained. The rooms, lobby and parking are clean and well maintained. I plan to use this hotel regularly as I visit this area.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 May 2011

We always stay at this hotel when in San Francisco, Rooms have King or 2 Queens with TV ,DVD,VCR, Microwave and fridge for around $70 per night and an hourlyi shuttle to SFO you need to have your own ethernet cable to access the free internet ,there are plenty of neighborhood shops and restaurants a couple of minutes walk away Prior to our stay this time we were in a Marriot in Roseville,CA that cost twice as much and had none of the above extras .

Room Tip: Call the Hotel and ask for John
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank yomper
Reviewed 25 April 2011

We are a family of 4 and want to visit San Francisco. After some research, I included that most decent hotels in the city are too expensive, and worse they all charge hefty fee for parking space (some hotels don't even have parking.) Gateway Inn has just what we needs - clean, FREE parking (semi enclosed area so you don't have to worry about something happen to your car at night), and convenient location (near lots of restaurants and only easy 20min drive info SF.) Another good feature here is the foyer area which provides a nice open space to hang out or have breakfast.

The only part I wasn't too happy was that they had to hold a $50 cash deposit during our stay (maybe in the past they've got guests who damaged to stole something from the property.)

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled with family
0 mi away
Ramada San Bruno SFO Airport
Ramada San Bruno SFO Airport
#10 of 13 in San Bruno

Been to Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!