“Dingy room, ok service”

Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Boston, Massachusetts
“Dingy room, ok service”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

I arrived to Gateway in the late evening after an evening flight. The shuttle driver drove past me twice and only called for Ramada Inn, not mentioning the 4-5 other hotels he visited. The check-in person was lovely, but the room itself wasn't totally clean. The couch in the room was stained, cheap scratchy towels and soaps, very "budget" despite the nearly $200 price tag. There was even toilet paper in the toilet, which was disturbing. The "breakfast" just seemed to be a couple loaves of white and wheat bread and very cheap packaged pastry, so I bought something else.

On the whole though, it wasn't the absolute worst? In a moment of desperation and only needing to sleep somewhere for a few hours, it was passable. I actually think it wouldn't have been terrible to shell out $50 more and stay somewhere that felt clean.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank M. B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
draytonvalleyalberta
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We spent our two final nights of our eight day stay in San Francisco. We booked our holiday last minute and scrambled for rooms.. We fell in love with the place we stayed in in Millbrae,,,,just minutes down the same road as Gateway in San Bruno, but they didn't have rooms for our last nights, since we booked so late, so we were a bit let down when we got there. The room was nice, queen bed, had everything you'd need.... there was breakfast ..toast , cereal and pastries...We were on the same floor as the breakfast room... the rooms opened up on an inside courtyard type room so it was a bit noisy early on with people having breakfast. We actually went to IHOP, basically next door, for both breakfasts. We were able to print our boarding passes in the lobby... that was handy.There was plenty of parking. The room was, just fine, but like I said,just down the road, for comparable prices, is such a nice place... Check out La Quinta Inn and Suites in Millbrae.... prettier, nicer, has a pool, more modern, minutes away from train station with lots of parking (check out my full, wordy review on that) If you have to stay here, it will be fine..

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jannyrose
Reno,NV
Reviewed 8 August 2014

I travel to San Francisco a lot. This inn gives me comfort and quiet and I am 15 minutes from the city. Helpful staff, affordable rates, clean rooms and plenty of space. Parking is close and safe. Many restaurants close by

Florida
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Very clean and comfortable place to stay near SFO. I stay in this area several times a year and have been tired of paying premium prices for low quality hotels. Check in was easy and the room very clean, quiet and comfortable. Nice parking. I will absolutely stay here again.
The breakfast is spartan, but adequate.

Room Tip: Book well in advance.
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Spartan at best with single pane windows and no insulation btw rooms made very noisy and unpleasant.

The "Continental Breakfast" was so funny that it provided the only moment levity in an otherwise grim experience. It consisted of a loaf of Wonder Bread, a toaster and tower of some cereal flakes.

Stayed July 2014

Travellers are raving about these San Bruno hotels

Montpelier, Vermont
Reviewed 14 July 2014

MY wife and I checkec in very late on the night of July 9th, 2014. The check in experience was just fine as was the room.

The next morning our check out was typical and the young man who had been there all night was friendly and courtious. My problem comes with the next desk clerk that came into the hotel lobby. There were six clients in the lobby that had stayed in the hotel overnights. This gentleman came in withno effort being made say goodmorning or to interact with any of us. I also noted that he didn't show any regard for his co-worker. It was all business, no smiles, no hello's, no anything. I can only believe that this man does not like his job.

My wife and I not only enjoy a nice place to stay but a friendly staff, this man doesn't cut it.

I will write more in another review as we stayed at the same hotel several days later.

Room Tip: Ask for the third floor, much quieter as the only gathering place is onthe second floor, right outsi...
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 12 July 2014

I chose this hotel because of the location and free parking. The rooms were clean, the beds were comfortable and the street noise didn't really bother us. I had a party of five and only two towels were provided for our double queen room. There is only one ice machine for all three floors of this hotel and it was out of order during our stay. It was very hot, and there was no bottled water in the vending machines so we had to find a grocery store to buy a bag of ice and water. These are basics that a hotel should provide. The free breakfast was a disappointment, see my photo.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Bruno
Villa Montes Hotel, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Ramada San Bruno SFO Airport
Ramada San Bruno SFO Airport
#12 of 13 in San Bruno

Been to Gateway Inn and Suites Hotel? Share your experiences!