“Only If Location Is Key, Otherwise Run” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Courtyard San Francisco Airport

Courtyard San Francisco Airport
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Seattle, WA
“Only If Location Is Key, Otherwise Run”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2011

This hotel had a lot of potential that it didn't quite live up to. The rooms were standard, nothing special, and the lobby has had a make-over, but that's about it. The best thing about it is that it's located right near SFO, a BART station, and a nearby shopping plaza if you need to grab a few things. There is a free shuttle that will run you to all of the above if you need it.

Pros: Decent size rooms, small balconies, ample parking, washer and dryer on site

Cons:
-Thin doors so you could hear everything in the hallway
-Super slow wi-fi
-Uncomfortable beds
-Served MOLDY bagel with cream cheese (that took 17 minutes to come out of the kitchen)
-Served frozen breakfast sandwich (sausage biscuit where the sausage was actually frozen in most of the middle) that had been clearly microwaved by the kitchen

The staff was pleasant, but pretty incompetent - other than the shuttle drivers who seemed very pleasant and interested in helping. I had to make requests multiple times for the same things from the front desk. When I had problems with my food in the "restaurant" no major apologies were made and there was a definite 'oh well' attitude about it.

Bottom line: if you want a convenient location and you don't need anything in terms of service from the hotel, this is the place.

Stayed May 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank OpEd

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Lancashire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

We stayed at this Hotel after our 10 hour flight from the UK. It is used regularily by our American friends. It is 10 minutes from the Airport and there is a bus shuttle or there is lots of free parking at the Hotel. The rooms are clean and a good size and it is well priced at about $100 per room. There is a light breakfast available. It is an ideal starting point if you are then moving on to explore California. San Bruno is shown on the Freeway signs.

Room Tip: As fo a room on the first floor as this is convenient for the car park
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank TheCommanderLeyland
LA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed here for a few days over a weekend and loved it. The rates nearly doubled for mid week so we moved to another discount hotel down the road and missed the Marriott's clean rooms, comfy beds and breakfasts. This is a great hotel for exploring San Fran. The parking is free and well lit. Breakfast was included and was good/acceptable quality. There is a heated pool for the kids. The hallway near the pool smells strongly of chlorine, so if you don't have kids or like that bleachy smell, ask for a room away from the pool. The pool is STRONGLY chlorinated so bring goggles for sensitive eyes.

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I came to attend a meeting and stayed for one night. If it was up to me I would NEVER choose an airport hotel in San Francisco as there is so much to see and do in town. This hotel was nice, the lobby was newly renovated. The staff were super nice. At night when I wanted to go out the girl at the front desk was not very helpful. She could not recommend one place in town (as if she was a tourist). I even asked her to go online and tell me where to go or show me on a map. She was SUPER unhelpful! In the end we just went out and drove around until we found a spot to get drinks.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Noush01
toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2011

We arrived as a one night layover and the shuttle was quick and prompt.
The service was good and the room clean with free internet. The indoor pool looked nice but we did not use it.
There was a party across the hall with a strong smell of weed starting to seep into our room but the staff did check on them to quiet down without us having to ask.
The next morning the shuttle was full but they managed to squeeze us in.
I think they should take names so they do not risk people losing their flights because of a full shuttle of 8. We got a good rate as an airline employee.
There is a Chili's across the street and a 5 minute drive to SFO.
Would stay again if I needed to stay near the airport.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

I've stayed extensively at this Courtyard (as well as others) and find the staff to be very welcoming and helpful. The hotel itself and rooms are good - probably better than the average Courtyards. My rating of 2 stars is purely because of the internet service. It is truly terrible - basic page loads can take minutes. It will waste incredible amounts of your time, especially if you are like most business travelers and work in the evening after you return to the hotel. This is both wired and wireless. I have an evdo card (cell phone connection) that ran 7x faster with 1 or 2 bars. I called the internet provider who said that this was the service level contracted for by the Courtyard. I emailed my concerns to the management of the Courtyard by received no response (which says something about management attitude given I have stayed there 50+ nights - wonder how they react to someone only staying a couple nights).

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank rorufu
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights after Christmas at a very special promotional rate on the Marriott website of $95 per nite for a room with double bed. First when I called the hotel at the airport, it only took the lady 10 minutes to pick me up and it took less than 5 minutes to get to the hotel. When I arrived the hotel, the check-in was so fast (they got my name when I called for pickup) that I couldn’t even have a chance to tell them my request, it was all done in 1 minute!! But lucky enough that I had already made my request when I booked online, so I got what I want – a room facing the garden on the second floor.

The room was spacious and clean and everything looked very new too. The mattresses were a bit soft but still OK. The bathroom was very clean and everything worked fine. The room met the standard Marriott quality that won’t let you down. The free in-room internet was very slow but it was free, so you couldn’t ask for more when other hotels in this area normally charge you $20 a day. The only complaint would be the air-con, I tried to turn it off and get some fresh air with the balcony door opened for an inch, but the air-con kept turning on every hour throughout the night and it was very noisy. I asked the cleaning lady, but it seems that it couldn't be turned off.

The next morning when I asked the lady at the Front Desk for a ride to the San Bruno Bart Station (coz I have to pick up my rental car in SF downtown, the rental rate at the airport was 3 times higher), the lady was so nice that she just picked up the minivan key and gave me a ride in 2 minutes. There were also plenty of free parking spaces around the hotel, but try to ask for a room NOT facing the parking lot coz it was quite noisy. Another problem with this hotel was, they only have one elevator at the far end of the hotel, so if you have big bags, better ask for a room on the ground floor. On my check-out day, the elevator was not working so I had to carry all the bags to walk down the stairs after a long walk to the elevator.

The location of this hotel was perfect, close to a neighborhood shopping center - Tanforan (20 mins walk or 2 mins drive) with a food court inside or downtown Millbrae in 5 minutes drive with all kind of shops, supermarkets and restaurants nearby. Across the street from the hotel was a restaurants Chili’s, the food was good at very reasonable price, but always crowded with people, you have to wait for at least 20 minutes for a table. This hotel was also very close to the freeway and it’s about 15 minutes drive to downtown San Francisco, or 20 minutes to the Silicon Valley.

Overall it was a very pleasant stay at this hotel, all the staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel was very clean and properly managed. I would definitely stay again at this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
Super 8 San Bruno /SF Intl Arpt West
San Francisco Airport Marriott Waterfront
Staybridge Suites San Francisco Airport
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grosvenor Airport Hotel
BEST WESTERN PLUS Grosvenor Airp...
#3 of 28 in South San Francisco
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,840 reviews

Been to Courtyard San Francisco Airport? Share your experiences!