“VERY Close to Airport, but non-descript”

Courtyard San Francisco Airport
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in San Bruno
Washington, DC
“VERY Close to Airport, but non-descript”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Older Courtyard, which has been modernized from the original construction, but not as modern as newer Courtyards. Rooms are nice enough, but unremarkable. Has a small, but well equipped fitness center and indoor pool. Location is in a non-descript office park, but very close to I-380 and just off El Camino Real. Probably the closest hotel to the San Francisco airport terminal; less than a 10 minute trip. A shuttle is provided, but I didn’t use it. Proximity to airport means that airplane noise is noticeable. Check in was not efficient. Did not eat at the small café. There is a Chile’s just down the street. The Bayhill Shopping center is a few blocks west (walkable or very short drive) and has several restaurants. I ate at the Café Girllades for breakfast and was very pleased with the food, price and service.
BOTTOM LINE: Certainly adequate and an obvious choice if one’s destination is one of the nearby offices. However, there are a plethora of hotels near the airport, so no need to pay a premium for this one.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Davidwatts

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I primarily chose this hotel for its proximity to the airport and the shuttle service. What a nice little gem this was. Our flight connection was cancelled and we had to wait for a flight out the next morning with no luggage. The shuttle service was quick, check in was smooth with a room on the ground floor. We arrived very late, but found some easy food at the Marketplace to hold us until morning. Toothbrushes were available at the front desk. The beds were great, the room was very quiet. Five hours later we were headed back to the airport on the 4:40 am shuttle. The driver was very professional and efficient. This Courtyard was such a nice oasis in our day of airport delays and cancelled flights. Thank you, Marriott!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
Aiea, Hawaii
Reviewed 2 January 2014

I remember staying at this property 4 or 5 years ago with our grandchildren and don't recall much about it except that the kids loved the pool. This stay was an overnight prior to an early flight out. First, the shuttle driver was very professional, picked us up promptly and got us quickly to the hotel. It was late, and the grill was officially closed. However, the cook was very gracious and agreed to fix us up with some soup, a sandwich and a quesadilla. That was very much appreciated considering my wife was too under the weather to go across the street to Chili's. This is above and beyond service, and I wish I could remember the cook's name to give him due credit. Front desk staff was also very helpful getting us a room not too far down the hall. Had a great sleep and, although we missed the 0630 shuttle to the airport, the 0700 shuttle driver got us there in about 10 minutes. So, we had no sweat catching our flight home on New Year's Eve. The room was very nice and clean. I've generally been very comfortable on Marriott property beds, and this was certainly no exception. Wi-Fi was great, too. Thank you, Courtyard.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Union City, California
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We were "bumped" by American Airlines as we were on "standby". Our luggage had been sent so we had only the clothes we stood up in! The Staff found us all the necessities including cables for my cell phone and Kindle. The room was impeccably clean with crisp sheets and bath linen. The outlook from the room on to a tree and shrub garden gave a sense of serenity so near the airport. I wish the food was a little more inspired and less Microowave oriented. Most enjoyable stay after a poor start to our Christmas vacation.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Washington Dc, District Of Columbia
Reviewed 29 November 2013

It started badly, and ended well since we got to the airport with their shuttle early in the morning. I think it was the longest walk I can remember to the room, for a one building property. Their lobby had no hot food because of a kitchen issue so we bought a prepared sandwich in their market cafe. It was quite stale. Hotel was old and felt like it used to be something more modest than a marriott. We will never stay here again and would advise against it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cctravelercc
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here for 1 night before our flight. Great hotel. Easy to find. Friendly staff. The most comfortable bed of our entire trip! I'd love to know the brand and type of bed and bedding they use. We would definitely recommend this hotel. Quiet and convenient!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Trvlgrl0928
Twinsburg, Ohio
Reviewed 15 November 2013

I booked this hotel because I had a 6 hour meeting --- and after I booked my room the company I was meeting with decided to hold the meeting at the hotel. I would say this is an upscale Courtyard -- the lobby looked brand new. The check in was flawless and I was put on the 2nd floor (a two floor hotel) with a balcony and courtyard view. Yes, they have a fully functional and beautiful courtyard. I was able to work a bit on the balcony before it got too chilly and then work at a comfortable workstation before bed. The room itself was a standard Courtyard room. It was spotless.

I mentioned in my Title this is at the End of the Runway. It is probably 2 miles from the end of the runway set off by about a mile. I did not find this to be a problem as I could watch planes take off all day and night, but there are rooms that face away from the flightpath. Others may be bothered by this but it is what it is. I do not deduct points because unless you live under a rock airport hotels are located, well, by an airport. Furthermore, booking the hotel on the Marriott web site clearly showed the orientation of the runways to the hotel.

I was initially a bit put off by breakfast (no full menu) but was very happy when I saw what was delivered. There is a small breakfast menu -- oatmeal, some muffins and fruit cups and several breakfast sandwiches. I ordered a healthy start sandwich and was given a real meal between an english muffin.... fluffy egg whites, spinach and a slice of cheese --- delicious, along with a fruit cup. The seating was comfortable.

The meeting room was great and the staff really did a nice job. Most of those at the meeting were from the SFO area but two were from Southern California and I came from across the country. It is a great location for a meeting, especially if people need to get in and out of SFO quickly. Nice Job.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view. If you want to see the planes take off ask for that orientation. If you...