“Overpriced...even for expensive area”

Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
San Francisco, California
“Overpriced...even for expensive area”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

I travel a lot and have stayed in several Extended Stay Hotels. This one is 'typical' if not a little sub par. Location 'ok'. Kindof in strange industrial area, somewhat hard to find but close to downtown RWC with good restaurants and amenities. (1/2 to 1? mile walking distance) Rooms offer all the comfortable amenities needed for longer term business stays - desk, kitchen, free parking and wifi, laundry room.
Complaints: Phone in my room didn't work well. No access to on demand movies. Could use better deep cleaning. Also, somewhat noisy, as doors automatically SLAM shut. Front desk staff mostly friendly but not very professional or helpful. Expect to WAIT if they are 'chatting' with others, on phone or with each other. No clue!
Overall, good for long term work place to stay...private and un intrusive atmosphere. Also, close to SF and South Bay. However...if they are charging more than 120/nite...look elsewhere. Not worth it. Check hotels in SSF, Burlingame, San Mateo, San Bruno, Millbrae in search. Several come to mind well worth less money.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SFkt
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Carlos. I am glad to hear that our rooms offered all you needed to be comfortable during your stay; however given our company’s commitment to excellence I am sorry to hear that your stay wasn’t 100% satisfactory. Please let me apologize for our staff’s lack of response to you and pre-occupation at the front desk. This should never be the case and we will be sure to address this issue immediately. I would also like to apologize that your room cleanliness was not what we would expect it to be and that the telephone was not operable. It is our daily policy to inspect each room before a guest arrives to be sure all items are in working order, clearly we had a breakdown in our system and I have made sure that we have addressed this so that a similar situation does not occur again. We thank you for bringing these things to our attention so that we know where we may need to focus our attention. I do hope you will consider staying with us again and allow us to show you our re-doubled efforts to make every stay a great one. With our thank the Management at Extended Stay America San Carlos.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 27 March 2013

I am a real believer in checking things out on Trip Advisor, but I was certainly let down on the ESA at San Carlos. First, as I am an infrequent traveler, I did NOT know that this chain does not offer daily maid service - unless you pay for it first. Additionally, I was not told this at the front desk - if I knew this I would NOT have checked in. At the price I am paying for the room, I expect daily (not weekly) housekeeping service. Additionally, the front desk was so 'asleep at the wheel' that they actually attempted to check me into a room that was already occupied - something that has NEVER happened to me before. The only reason I gave it two buttons (instead of one) was that the condition of the room was pretty clean when I checked in. Had I not had to be 100 percent focused on the task I was in San Carlos for, I would have checked out the next day.

If you are the sort of person that needs an extended type of stay and don't mind doing all the housekeeping yourself, I guess this would be for you. I would NOT recommend this (or any) ESA motel for the business traveler (like myself) that values daily housekeeping.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, 31 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your experience at Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Carlos. Providing for your total satisfaction, from the moment you arrive to the moment you depart, is my staff's primary duty. Hearing that we failed in your case is truly disheartening, and for that, I offer you my sincerest apology.

We know that our guests have many lodging options, which is why we work hard to provide them with the exact service they expect. As is true of most extended stay hotels, we offer scaled back housekeeping service. We also offer additional daily housekeeping service for a nominal charge. Functioning in this way allows us to provide all guests with the number of housekeeping services that best suits them. I do regret, however, that we were not able to make this clear to you before you booked your stay with us. I would also like to apologize for the front desk error, we have very strict control procedures in place to prevent such an occurrence from happening as you described. We have met with our staff to ensure the proper training has happened so that this is not a repeat for any guest staying with us. We thank you for bringing this to our attention so that we know where we need to re-double our efforts in total guest satisfaction.

Again, I apologize and promise you that we are committed to your total satisfaction. If there is anything you would like to discuss further with me or our guest relations team, please don't hesitate to contact us by visiting our website and clicking on the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page. I do hope you will give us the honor of having you as a guest again if future travels will bring you into our area.

Travellers are raving about these San Carlos hotels

princeton
Reviewed 19 March 2013

The customer service and manager are horible, water was leaking from are ceiling and they could not switch us rooms and they still charged us full price for the room. I would never stay there again, all friday night there was a staff member fighting with someone and the cops had to show up to take care of it

Room Tip: any room on the third floor there is no one above you or plumbing to leak all over
1 Thank Dustin M
Manager_11525, Owner at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, 11 April 2013
Dustin - I appreciate you providing feedback about your stay at our hotel. I apologize that there was water leaking from the ceiling in your rooms and you were disturbed by outside noises. In response to your comments, I am working with the Maintenance staff on best practices when making fixes within the hotel to ensure situations like yours do not occur again. As well, I have spoken with the Guest Services staff and Manager about the importance of customer service and reviewed how best to communicate with our guests, ensuring others are not bothered if a conversation escalates.

Thank you again for your comments. If you would like to speak further, please contact the hotel directly. We hope you will choose to stay with us once more, giving us a second chance to show you our redoubled efforts.
San Carlos, California
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I've stayed at this hotel roughly once a month for the last decade.
Positives: the staff. They are knowledgeable, competent, and personable: very nice people. Rooms are clean. Full kitchen is very helpful for long stays; bed is comfortable, although the mattresses should be flipped monthly in order to prevent caving in on the most popular side. Parking is ample. Easy access to freeway, shopping and restaurants. Gym a block away.
Negatives: Doesn't even have basic cable channels. Missing MSNBC, History, Bio, etc. Has Showtime rather than HBO.
Internet slow, and have to sign in relatively frequently. Odd for its location near Silicon Valley. If you'll have to do large downloads stay elsewhere.
Prices have increased significantly in the last few years. Now has breakfast included, which means nothing except a higher room charge to those of us who don't eat breakfast.
Recent policy change mandates that your room gets cleaned on day 8 of your stay. Thus, if you're staying for 9 days, rather than picking a midway point for cleaning you'll have a clean room for your last day.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, 5 March 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Carlos. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff and our convenient location. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your concerns. Although I regret not being able to accommodate your viewing preferences, I hope that my explanation on this site can help others know exactly what to expect at our hotel. Each room is equipped with a cable television with limited expanded cable, including the following package of TV channels: Showtime, Showtime 2, CNN, CNN Headline News, Fox News, TNT, WTBS, Discovery, Cartoon Network, USA, Oxygen, ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPN News, ESPN Classic, ESPN U, and The Weather Channel, as well as locally broadcast network affiliates including ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and PBS. Please know that your comments are very useful for us as we work to offer the best television channels for our guests.

I am also sorry to hear that our housekeeping schedule was not as expected. We specialize in providing guests with the amenities and service they require for an enjoyable stay at an exceptional rate. In the case of housekeeping, our standard service schedule provides one full housekeeping after every seven days stayed, with the option to purchase additional housekeeping services as desired. Operating our business in this way allows us to continue offering the same great rates to which our guests have become accustomed.

I hope our response helps answer some of your concerns and that you will give us another chance to have you stay with us again in the future.
San Mateo, California
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I stayed at Extended stay for 2 nights, while they wore doing some construction to my house. The whole room, and bathroom wore impecably clean. I was glad to see that they had a kitchen with all the supplies that I needed to cook for those 2 days. Great customer service from the genttlemen that helped me check in! I will definitely stay there again!

Room Tip: If you guys have little children they also have different activity packets for them available at the...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Property M, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, 24 February 2013
Thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Francisco-San Carlos. I am so happy to hear that we were able to provide a little home away from home during your home renovation. We strive to provide each guest with over the top hospitality each and every stay. I’m glad to hear your room was impeccably clean and that our fully equipped kitchen was just what you needed to prepare meals for your family, we appreciate the warm thoughts and comments. Thank you for your kind word and we hope that you will stay with us again should you be in need of additional accommodations in the future. With many thanks the Management at Extended Stay America San Francisco-San Carlos.
San Diego, California
Reviewed 20 February 2013

I stayed at Extended Stay for two nights during my trip to the bay area. The room was very clean and I was especially impressed with the the bathroom (I always have issues with hotel bathrooms). The room comes with a well equipped kitchen so it is definitely a plus for people who are staying for an extended period of time (or just don't feel like eating out). The stove top was clean and the plates in the cabinets were spotless. The hotel also had plenty of parking near the entrance so it was very easy to move in & out. The manager at the front desk (I believe his name was Mark) was also very nice and accommodating. I got to the hotel before noon on a day when the hotel was fully booked. The manager was able to clean out a room and give me a room within an hour. Overall, i am very satisfied with the stay and would definitely come here again during my future trips.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KevinW1989
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of Extended Stay America San Francisco - San Carlos. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.

We would also like to thank you for your patience as we prepared a room for your arrival, we will always try to accommodate an early arrival when our daily departures will allow. We know that your time is valuable and we appreciate your patience.

Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words The Management at Extended Stay America San Francisco-San Carlos.
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 24 January 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay in the area. Price is Right. Clean, spacious, and comfortable enough. Close to shopping and some good eats. Easy highway access. Service was good. Beds a little firm. Will stay again.

• Stayed January 2013
Brandy S, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos, responded to this review, 26 January 2013
We would like to take a moment and thank you for your recent review of Extended Stay America San Carlos. It sounds like you enjoyed your stay with us and that this property was conveniently located for your needs. We are so glad to hear that guests like you are happy with the time they spend with us. We strive to provide clean, comfortable accommodations at a great value, stay after stay. We do hope that you will come back to visit us if you’re in our area or that of any of our over 680 locations nationwide. Thank you again for your nice review. We look forward to seeing you again. With Hospitality the Management at Extended Stay America San Carlos.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#5 of 7 in San Carlos

Been to Extended Stay America - San Francisco - San Carlos? Share your experiences!