“Feeling fortunate”

Ranked #3 of 17 things to do in San Carlos
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Sometimes when I walk into the Reading Bug, I kind of want to pinch myself. We all know that book stores are becoming more and more rare, but a children's bookstore? One that is filled with classics, new books, parenting books (or just books that appeal to parents), plus high-quality and unusual gift items? I feel like I must be dreaming!

Add to this special events, including author visits, a mother/daughter book club, book-themed parties, and more, and you have the makings of a truly unique destination. Oh, and did I mention that they have Zumba classes in the evenings and sell a small assortment of yoga attire? A children's play area in the back? Lots of nooks for reading? A clean restroom? And a full staff of knowledgable, book-loving folks who are available to answer any question?

They even have an entire section of books devoted to kids who are strong readers but not yet mature enough for young adult novels. Every book store and library should have a section like this!

You might think that I am making this up, but I am not. And here's the kicker: they gift wrap! It's no wonder that for any kid in San Carlos who has a birthday party, at least half of the gifts come from the Reading Bug.

If you go in here, please buy something. Keep it thriving!

Yes, I love this place :-)

Reviewed 11 February 2014

This sleepy little town is not only quaint but full of wonderful little shops from women and children clothing to this jewel of a book store. This isn't your ordinary book store, it has an array of not only books and activities for children 0 - teens, but also has an adult section as well. You will also find a large section of high quality items for mother-to-be, extremely well made stuffed animals, fun gadgets . . . . the list goes on in this very large, diverse store. I bought a stuffed rattle, very unique in the shape of a mushroom with hearts for a baby gift. Fun, delightful experience.

1  Thank Nancy S