“Decent for the price”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
Calgary
“Decent for the price”
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had a room here for one night in October. We found the room clean and the bed comfortable. The place feels dated, but was quite fine for our needs for a one-night stay. The continental breakfast included cereals, packaged pastries and waffles you can bake yourself, as well as fresh fruit (apples the day we were there). The coffee was good. We found the front desk people were courteous. As a point of information, there is no room to have your breakfast in the lobby, so they request you eat in your room. All in all, this was very reasonably priced for the Bay area for the accommodation we had.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanne H
hotelsancarlos26, Manager at Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank you for staying with and we now our breakfast area is small but have accommodating. We just finished a major renovation and when you are in the area and looking for a place to stay please stay with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Austin, TX
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I read some of the reviews on this “hotel” prior to booking a one night stay for a very early morning flight out of SFO and I thought to myself, it was a 2 ½ star hotel and I was being charged $140/night so it must be a decent place…I was wrong, very wrong!!!

The first room given was right next to the parking lot and it did not seem safe to me as the door opened right into the parking lot on a busy street. I asked to be moved and was given another room on the second floor which I was hoping would feel safer which did not happen. I carried my things up to the room via the stairs and was greeted by a room that was clean but smelled awful and was very hot, muggy and creepy. I lasted a total of 20 minutes in this room and realized that there was no way I could make it the entire night in this hotel. It felt unsafe, old, smelled weird and was so close to the street with windows that faced the busy street and doors that were not protected by a lobby or by an employee to ensure the safety of guests.

I went to the lobby to ask if I could have a refund since I did not feel safe staying in this motel for the evening. I was told that she could not refund my money, there is a 24 hour cancellation policy and although she understood my feeling of being unsafe I was not able to have my money back. I ended up paying a lot more at a hotel closer to the airport but the satisfaction of staying in a safe hotel room was worth every penny!

Please be warned, this is a motel (1 star motel in my book) and is not a safe place to stay for a women travelling alone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TexascoupleAustin_TX
Thank you for staying with us and sorry that you did not felt safe but rest a sure our hotel is safe and very accommodating. he neighborhood and surrounding area is safe also and very well lighted. Hope to see yo soon.
Redwood City, California
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Husband and wife managers unbelievably rude, unprofessional, and discourteous.

I made a phone reservation. When I arrived I wanted to see the room before checking in. The manager didn't want to show me the room. When I insisted he demanded that I go somewhere else. I had to beg not to be kicked out of the hotel just for wanting to see my room.

The next day I made a firm phone reservation in the morning with the wife. The wife called me back in the afternoon to cancel the reservation because "her husband didn't want me staying there".

Be aware that they think they have the right to kick you out, cancel your reservation, etc. for no valid reason. They are very unethical.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Hal B
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 4 August 2013

We stopped in this motel when arriving in San Francisco airport after a long flight. We needed somewhere inexpensive and a short distance from the airport.
The motel is sufficient for a single night stop off, but I would not recommend it as a base.
Bed was quite soft, shower and bathroom clean. There is a small pool which we did not try.
There is plenty of parking.
A basic breakfast is available at reception where there are several small tables.
We arrived at 9pm, and the only place we could find open for food was the local McDonalds.
I would use this hotel again if I needed one night close to SF airport.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Santa Cruz, CA
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Traveled with my Mom as I just had shoulder surgery in the area. The woman at the front desk, not sure if she was the owner or not, was very accommodating. She allowed us to check-in early and gave us a room on the ground floor as to not go up a lot of stairs. She also allowed us to check-out late the next day. This helped us out a lot as I had a post-op appointment the next day and we were able to hang out at the hotel longer than normal. Room was very nice, small fridge with freezer which helped with storing ice for my ice machine after surgery. Flat screen TV, comfortable beds, coffee and juice in the morning. Pool area with table and chairs - it was nice to sit out and catch some sun. Close to CVS(right across the street), as well as Safeway just a few short blocks away.
Off El Camino Real, close to freeway & in a good neighborhood. Price was good - not too high, within reason for the great service we got. We tried to tip the woman at the front, but she wouldn't accept it - she said it's part of her job! Very impressed.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 20 June 2013

I had checked in and quickly checked out of Hotel San Carlos in San Carlos, CA.
When I first went into my room, I told the hotel staff that it had a smell/fume in the room. I asked one of the hotel staff to turn the A/C on, to see if that would dissipate the smell. After 30 minutes there, my eyes and sinuses were burning. I could no longer tolerate it. I went back to the check in desk and asked for another room but they were booked. I asked for a refund and it was refused. I reiterated that I addressed this issue when I got here but they (Maggie) didn't care. No customer care here! I was there less than an hour with 10-15 minutes arguing with desk clerks with a $131.00 cost to me. They claimed that they couldn't have anybody occupy it that night because I was in there even though it was less than an hour. I told Maggie that I could never tolerate a night in that room. It's a very unhealthy enviroment to try to tolerate. I ended up going to another hotel that night. Yahoo has posted similiar complaints about this hotel.

Room Tip: The best tip would be to go someplace else
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Philly Suburbs
Reviewed 4 May 2013

Great price for what we needed. Vacation to San Fran, so we were up in the morning and out until late evening. Clean rooms, the staff was very helpful when needed, and breakfast was ok for us. The breakfast is just simple stuff--the usual coffee, danish, toast, and cereal. Small eating area with only two tables, but ok for us. We read the negative reviews, but decided on this place anyway. If you would rather hang at the bar, this is not the place for you since there is no formal hotel lobby and place to hang out. Hotel staff did very good job on cleaning the room everyday, and the bed was comfortable. Only issue we had was the AC quit on us the last evening we were there. Called front desk, they came up within 10 minutes, and looked at the problem. We had to switch rooms because they could not fix it right away, and the guy offered to move all our stuff out to the adjoining room. No big issue for us. Would stay here again if we get back to the area.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
#6 of 7 in San Carlos
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City

Been to Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos? Share your experiences!