“Overall, a pleasant stay”

Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
Sacramento, California
“Overall, a pleasant stay”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

First of all, this place is in no way a "hotel", but is a clean "old-school" type of motel (in a good way).

I noticed a couple of negative reviews complaining about pricing and "safety" issues. I can guarantee you will not find a less expensive alternative in this area (at least, not one you'd want to stay in). As for the "safety" issue, well, just read the most recent negative review, and decide for yourself. After staying at this property, the complaint seems totally without merit.

Though the San Carlos is located on a busy street, we did not experience any issues with traffic noise. The room was pleasant, and the furnishings seemed nicely updated, along with the overall decor. Everything worked well. There is only a desk, so if you bring your own food to the room, be aware that there is no table to utilize (only the desk).

The only complaint we had during our stay was that the ceiling above us seemed poorly insulated from the sounds of the travellers upstairs. In the morning, we heard constant footsteps, and so we weren't able to sleep in as long as we might have liked. If/when we return, we will ask for an upstairs room, or one near the lobby (where there is no second floor).

In summary, this place represents a fair value, and you can tell the managment is making an effort to provide a pleasant place to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid "downstairs" rooms if you are a light sleeper.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ScottV95691

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Oregon City, Oregon
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Came to the Bay Area for the Maker Faire, we stayed four nights in this hotel. Our room was clean, updated, the best thing about this room was the bed!! It was a king and very comfy, we don't stay in our room much when we travel, but want a comfortable bed to sleep in after sight seeing all day, this was it! This hotel is pretty centrally located and about a 20 min drive from downtown SF, close to San Jose too, I would come back to this quaint hotel.

Room Tip: we stayed in an east facing room and could watch the sunrise from our bed!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 January 2014

I've been on different hotel in the area..as a businessman , i found the property very pleasing , gratifying and excellent place to stay, the neatness and comfortable , just try it yourself - highly recommended

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Arnoldo D
hotelsancarlos26, Manager at Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos, responded to this review, 18 April 2014
Thank You for staying with and glad that you really enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you in the near future.
Monterey, California
Reviewed 26 December 2013

My husband and I stayed at this property after attending a family event--actually between all of us at the event we had four rooms in the motel and each of us were pleased with our visit. The motel is currently in the process of being renovated and several of the rooms were closed for renovation--the workers were quiet and clean and we didn't really even notice they were there. Our room had been newly remodeled and we found the bed to be very comfortable and the room itself clean and quite nice. We did note that the stairs outside our room were a bit uneven--a symptom of an older property--but my husband who has mobility issues had no trouble navigating them.

There is a small parking lot in front of the rooms, a larger lot just above the hotel, and plenty of street parking on a side street in front of the hotel. We often travel with a truck and small trailer, and it would have been difficult to use the parking lots to park our trailer, the street parking, though, would have been just fine.

Although my husband was with me on this trip, I often travel alone for business and would have felt perfectly comfortable at this property. The area is quiet and we were not disturbed at all by the occasional commuter train coming in or out of the nearby station.

The hotel does offer a small breakfast, but we had to leave very early and chose to walk about a block to the Omelette House down the street (a very good breakfast!). We can also recommend one of our favorite restaurants, Jersey Joe's, just across the street for a great lunch--Authentic Philadelphia cheesesteaks and other great hoagies and sandwiches.

Overall it was a great stay, especially for the price, and we look forward to staying there again when we are in the area.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank CAHeadHunter
Thank you for your kind words and your review. Glad that you enjoyed your stay,. Hope to see you again at our Small but clean Hotel.
singapore
Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Not as new as the country inn down the street, but it has updated, clean, comfortable rooms, and decent prices. As housing on the peninsula gets tougher to find, it's nice to find a reliable value priced option.

The breakfast is typical motel danishes and cereal, but at an Expedia rate of $139, I didn't expect much more

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for staying with us and hope to see you soon.
Calgary
Reviewed 26 October 2013

We had a room here for one night in October. We found the room clean and the bed comfortable. The place feels dated, but was quite fine for our needs for a one-night stay. The continental breakfast included cereals, packaged pastries and waffles you can bake yourself, as well as fresh fruit (apples the day we were there). The coffee was good. We found the front desk people were courteous. As a point of information, there is no room to have your breakfast in the lobby, so they request you eat in your room. All in all, this was very reasonably priced for the Bay area for the accommodation we had.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Joanne H
Thank you for staying with and we now our breakfast area is small but have accommodating. We just finished a major renovation and when you are in the area and looking for a place to stay please stay with us.
Austin, TX
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I read some of the reviews on this “hotel” prior to booking a one night stay for a very early morning flight out of SFO and I thought to myself, it was a 2 ½ star hotel and I was being charged $140/night so it must be a decent place…I was wrong, very wrong!!!

The first room given was right next to the parking lot and it did not seem safe to me as the door opened right into the parking lot on a busy street. I asked to be moved and was given another room on the second floor which I was hoping would feel safer which did not happen. I carried my things up to the room via the stairs and was greeted by a room that was clean but smelled awful and was very hot, muggy and creepy. I lasted a total of 20 minutes in this room and realized that there was no way I could make it the entire night in this hotel. It felt unsafe, old, smelled weird and was so close to the street with windows that faced the busy street and doors that were not protected by a lobby or by an employee to ensure the safety of guests.

I went to the lobby to ask if I could have a refund since I did not feel safe staying in this motel for the evening. I was told that she could not refund my money, there is a 24 hour cancellation policy and although she understood my feeling of being unsafe I was not able to have my money back. I ended up paying a lot more at a hotel closer to the airport but the satisfaction of staying in a safe hotel room was worth every penny!

Please be warned, this is a motel (1 star motel in my book) and is not a safe place to stay for a women travelling alone.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank TexascoupleAustin_TX
Thank you for staying with us and sorry that you did not felt safe but rest a sure our hotel is safe and very accommodating. he neighborhood and surrounding area is safe also and very well lighted. Hope to see yo soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Carlos
Americas Best Value Inn
Americas Best Value Inn
#5 of 7 in San Carlos
Extended Stay America - San Francisco - Belmont

Been to Hotel San Carlos - San Carlos? Share your experiences!