“More than adequate”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in San Carlos
UK
“More than adequate”
Reviewed 22 May 2013

The room was clean, there was a microwave, a fridge, and a coffee maker.

We had a room with 2 queen beds, and it also included a small table and dining chairs, which was nice.

There was also cable TV.

The bathroom looked in need of redecoration, but was clean and functional.

Breakfast was disappointing - a cup of mediocre coffee, and a pre-packed pastry, but I understand this is currently standard for the US. Hopefully this will change, but I am not holding my breath.

Parking at the back could have been more clearly signed - we nearly parked in the parking for the houses opposite.

We stayed visiting friends, but it's convenient enough for SFO airport. Late night check in was not a problem, and the staff were always very helpful.

Despite being on the main road (as are all the hotels) with the train line opposite, we did not have a problem with noise.

We stayed here twice, at the beginning and end of our road trip. It was good enough that we were looking forward to returning at the end :-)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Lockport
Reviewed 20 May 2013

Lodging in the Bay Area can be very expensive, and sometimes you still don't get a good night's sleep for your money. While visiting a few days to see family and friends, I was hoping to find a decent place to stay that was convenient to where I needed to go and that would not cost an exorbitant amount of money.

I was initially concerned about this motel's location along busy El Camino Real, and just across the street from the Caltrain tracks. I was also concerned that the (relatively) low rates would attract a seedy clientele.

I am delighted to report that I had no issues during my 5 night stay. Although my room faced El Camino, I had no issues with noise from the street or the train tracks (you do hear the trains moving along the tracks, but the noise is minimal, and there were no horn blasts). Also, the other guests were quiet and well behaved during my entire stay. The only time I heard anyone was when they were getting into or out of their vehicles in the parking lot.

Granted, this is not the Taj Mahal. This is an older property, and the walls and carpets are showing signs of age. But the rooms are clean and comfortable, there was a decent selection of cable TV stations, there was an in-room fridge and microwave, as well as in-room coffee, and a modest continental breakfast was available in the lobby (coffee, OJ, and packaged pastries).

This motel is adjacent to the south end of San Carlos's Laurel Street, where there are many shops and restaurants, and there is a Trader Joes market about 1 block north.

I would definitely consider staying here again when I have to travel to the Bay Area.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Robert B
gandhis, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Thank you so much for writing the review for your stay at Americas Best value Inn. We are happy that you were delighted with your stay and found a decent place and would return to us for stay.
Even tough we are on El Camino Real like many hotels here, we have double pane windows to reduce the noise. Generally, trains do not run after 11PM, so guests do not face too much noise.
During the last 6 months, we have upgraded our property and have installed flat screen Samsung TVs, new carpet, bedding and granite vanities. We are committed doing our best to provide great value by keeping low prices ,good amenties and great service. We are in business for more than 25 years and our success is due to great support from of valued guests.Finally, begining June, we are upgrading our complimentary continental breakfast- for the benefit our valued guests. Once again thank you so much for taking time to write this review for the benefit of other travellers.
san carlos, california
Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stay at this hotel often because it is clean and conveniently located to public transportation and restaurants. The management is friendly and the cost is the best bang for my buck. This hotel far surpasses other cheaper hotels in the area. I have recommended this hotel to family and friends because the hotel staff and management are professional and follow up on my requests immediately.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marie T
San Francisco, California, United States
Reviewed 29 March 2013

First time I came to San Francisco and thank to God I arrived at this hotel. Nice place, nice room with prompt service. Decent morning breakfast. Convenient place to stay. Just beside the trader's Joe..Good place.....

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Vipin S
gandhis, Owner at Americas Best Value Inn, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking time to write the review for your experience at our hotel. We do our best to provide value and service by providing FREE WI- Fi and many amenities including sauna, spa. We also provide flat scren Samsung TV, refrigerator and microwave in each room. We are celebrating our 25th year here serving guests like you. Please come and stay with us again.
London
Reviewed 18 March 2013

Small breakfast, whirlpool and sauna included; room was decent. Good weekly rate. I'd return...

Location was convenient to the Bay Area. Used my earplugs due to train across 4- lane road - would recommend.

• Stayed February 2013
Charleston, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed 17 March 2013

I came here because I had a job interview in the area.
To be clear this hotel just provides the basics, but it does it very well.
The rooms appear quite dated, but they are very clean and the beds are very comfortable.
They also provide internet access as well.

Finally, the trader joe's across the street was very convenient.
I can't comment on the service other than there was someone to check me in and tell me what to do to check out in the morning.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Sacramento
Reviewed 7 March 2013

I'm always a bit leary of certain budget motel chains like ABVI, but I stayed here three nights last week and I was very satisfied. Driving into central SF (25 miles) can take nearly an hour during rush hour but for me that was a fair trade-off for such a clean, inexpensive room. (SFO is a 20 minutes drive.) Light sleepers might find the sound of street traffic and commuter trains a challenge but otherwise this is a decent location, especially since a Trader Joe's is just 100 yards away. TJ's great for stocking up the mini-frig and avoiding the sad looking continental breakfast that's offered here. I really can't speak to the front desk service but the housekeeping was good.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Pacific Euro Hotel
Pacific Euro Hotel
#6 of 17 in Redwood City
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites - San Francisco Airport
Americas Best Value Inn & Suites...
#4 of 29 in South San Francisco
Americas Best Value Inn - Palo Alto

Been to Americas Best Value Inn? Share your experiences!