“Romantic, Private, Beautiful, Amazing!”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 26 September 2011

My husband and I just returned from a perfect weekend at Casa Tropicana! It is a beautiful hotel- the location is perfect, the rooms are lovely, the staff is exceptionally nice and accomodating, and the view is heavenly. Also, all of the extra (and unexpected!) amenities are wonderful- this is what sets this hotel apart from all others. We will be back as soon as possible. Thank you for an unforgettable stay!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank questrange

Reviewed 14 September 2011

We had a wonderful stay at the Casa Tropicana Inn. Wonderful breakfast, clean room, and the view is spectacular. We will be back for another stay!

Room Tip: Get the ocean view rooms. If you can afford it go for the penthouse room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WENDY D
Reviewed 30 August 2011

I was desperately looking for a quaint place, where I can see and hear the ocean. This place far exceeded my expectations. I was served breakfast every morning in my room by a wonderful, friendly lady. Majorie was also so accommodating. I was only going to stay for one night, but loved it so much that I stayed another night. There's a complimentary snack basket and wine/champagne in the refrigerator of the room and beach chairs/umbrellas on the second floor. It was a true delight and the best place for a much needed time alone. I'm definitely coming back for a girls' getaway.

BTW -Nick's was an excellent reference from Majorie. Order the ahi salad. Amazing!!!

Room Tip: Try to get the Clemente Room!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank travelbug215
Reviewed 29 August 2011

So the boyfriend and I (mostly I) wanted to have a nice romantic getaway vacation type of deal and settled on having a staycation somewhere not too frustrating to drive to from La. I picked the Casa Tropica because it looked beautiful and it was small. I did NOT want that huge resort vibe where there's people everywhere and its crowded and more of an all around headache than a vacation so the Casa was perfect. I only saw one? family pass by as they were checking out. Otherwise it may as well have been our own private villa in San Clemente. We arrived fairly early but our room was ready so it was no problem and Rick (the owner) was super helpful and upbeat during check in--I only has to sign a couple of papers before he handed over the keys and showed us our room. He also pointed out the private parking lot (included--no extra costs).

The room itself was gorgeous. We stayed in the casita azehar. Unfortunately the photos on the website don't do it total justice because it was very spacious with a HUGE bed. There's a nice patio right outside the room where you can chill and look over at the beach. Only drawback there was for whatever reason there were so many flies...not too sure what you can do about them but it made the patio less appealing for me. There is no AC but its totally unnecessary because there's a lovely ocean breeze and the weather was perfect. In the bathroom there's a huge over sized jacuzzi tub. They should add a picture of it to the website--because normally at a hotel there's one for the whole hotel--not one in your ROOM which was a huge selling point for me and justified the prices of the room. Furthermore, there were a lot of complimentary items (everything in the fridge including wine and champagne, wifi, cable, parking, breakfast) which we appreciated.

I wish we stayed longer so we could've enjoyed the luxuriousness of the room for longer. Unfortunately we woke up to late and missed breakfast (included). :( Checkout time was a *little* earlier than typical at 11:30 which was a bit of a bummer...but overall we enjoyed our stay and would definitely return. The beach was literally a five minute and so gorgeous. I felt like we were somewhere super tropical--not 1-/1/2 hours away from La. I recommend!

Room Tip: Choose a room with the ocean view--its BEAUTIFUL--and the patio doesn't detract from the view.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank trystan m
Reviewed 25 August 2011

We stayed for 2 weeks with three kids (1, 7, 11), and could not have had a better time. The location is ideal for both kids and adults. The room felt like a small apartment rather than a hotel. The service could not have been better - friendly, prompt, very attentive. The daily breakfast, stocked fridg, and always available fresh pressed coffee made mornings with kids very easy. Beyond the hotel, San Clemente is an ideal location for a family trip - great beach and surf within steps of the hotel, short drives to Laguna and San Diego, and plenty of good restaurants within walking distance. We'll be back next summer.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave L
Reviewed 6 August 2011

My husband and I decided to plan a romantic getaway. The idea of a bed and breakfast by the beach sounded perfect. After much research (including many positive reviews here) we settled on the Casa Tropicana. We were not disappointed! In short, it is a lovely place with many lovely touches and we had a very romantic stay. But I will give you some of the details to either answer some of the questions I had when I was trying to research (and you may have now), or to address some of the issues others have mentioned.

The setup of the rooms is unusual. There are a few rooms on each floor. We stayed in the Casita Arena which is on the second floor (which had a total of 5 rooms). It has an "ocean view". This is true, however, our window view was slightly obstructed by the staircase. The better view would have been from the Casita Estrellamar. But the view from the room may not be that important or may even be a negative to you as you read more details. All the rooms had access to the deck directly from their rooms and the deck was only a few steps away. So the "atrium view" rooms were just as accessible to the ocean view deck they simply didn't have a window to the view. Because everyone shares the deck having an ocean view room could even be a negative because you may feel like people can see into your room too easily.

The room was amazing. So romantic, well decorated and nice touches such as rose petals. The stocked refrigerator was a nice touch too (wine, soda, candy bars, cheese). They also provided beach towels and chairs.

The deck was very nice. A couple of lounge chairs, a bench, and three tables. The view was, of course, beautiful. You could enjoy the ocean and the pier. The "atrium" on the second floor was actually like a kitchen. It was stocked with fresh fruit, hot chocolate, coffee, popcorn, sink, toaster and microwave. This is where they laid out breakfast in the morning. Breakfast was good. The breakfast burritos and enchiladas were good according to my husband (not something I even tried, as I don't care for spicy food). There was also a fruit salad, bagels, scrambled eggs and muffins (yes, the muffins were prepackaged, but it didn't bother us). I liked that it was there for us to get when we wanted it and enjoy the morning on the deck.

While we had a wonderful time, I do see where one may end up having less than a perfect time. First off is the location near the train. Yes, the bells ring at the intersection and the train blows its whistle as it goes by. During the day, this wasn't an issue. However, at night it definitely woke us up. We had the ocean view room with our window open so it may have been better if we were in one of the back rooms and/or had our window closed. We also did not use the earplugs they provided, so that may have helped as well. We still did okay though because we were able to fall right back to sleep after the train passed. The last train passed after midnight and the first train of the morning passed by at 5am.

The second issue is the "common ocean view deck". It is lovely (as I described above), but it is common. So the residents of all 5 rooms on the floor (and technically, I suppose any guest on any floor) has access. So it isn't necessarily private. We were lucky in that our "neighbors" were either out or in their rooms most of the time. We rarely saw anyone else on deck so it turned out to be our own private deck after all. The same problem could make it hard to sleep. As it turned out we were the last ones out on the deck before turning in. If others had been out there (and talked particularly loud), it could have easily bothered our sleep as our ocean view room window opened right to the sitting area. But lucky for us, this was not a problem either. I did notice that the information in the room does ask that people are quiet after 9pm.

Overall, we absolutely enjoyed our stay at the Casa Tropicana. The location was great (loved being able to walk across the street to the pier), the amenities were well thought out, and the decor was lovely. Just the perfect place to get away from it all.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank familytravellers4
Reviewed 26 July 2011

We splurged on our 45th wedding anniversary to stay at Casa Tropicana and it was so worth it!! The most beautiful anniversary of all our 45 years together!! San Clemente has been a favorite place of ours for many years. We love the pier & the train & of course, the beach. All of these favorite things were ours to enjoy for the weekend, up close & personal at Casa Tropicana. The room & all amenities were wonderful and the staff was there when we needed them & not there when we just wanted to enjoy our quiet time together. A beautiful breakfast was served each morning as we desired on the scenic patio. It was all we hoped for and more!!! We look forward to returning in the near future. We have many beautiful places in New Mexico where we live but we do love San Clemente as our favorite place in California.

Room Tip: we are so glad that we picked an ocean view room
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North
San Clemente Inn
San Clemente Inn
#4 of 18 in San Clemente

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!