“Wonderful stay!!”

Ranked #10 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Redlands, California
“Wonderful stay!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2013

Stayed at the top level of the hotel, Casa Maya, and our 2 night stay could not have been better! The suite (indoor and outdoor) was immaculate. Bedding was a dream. Needed another lighter for the fireplace and obtained it immed from the front desk staff. Needed some help with the jacuzzi and got the help immediately. Enjoyed the warm jacuzzi both nights. Beautiful views of the pier, water and activity in town. Towels, snacks and fluid supplies replaced in a timely manner. Received recommendation and directions to the CSiron massage parlor in town and the experience could not have been better. Casa Tropicana staff were genuinely friendly, kind and helpful both while making the reservation and in person. A bit pricey, but well worth it! Hated to leave!

Room Tip: All looked nice. We had never stayed @ the ocean before, so we would always select a room with ocean...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Jacqueline F
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you for the great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay in our private 5th floor “Casa del Rey Penthouse Suite.” There really is no better place on the Pacific to enjoy the great Catalina Island sunsets and great ocean views than from your own private Jacuzzi! And we are always happy when we can accommodate guest’s requests for service successfully.

Owner

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
California, Maryland
Reviewed 28 August 2013

My husband and I stayed for the weekend of my birthday on a whim. We stayed on the second level ocean view room (I don't remember the Casita name) and I have to say that some of the previous naysayers are too expectant for the property.

Yes, there is a train across the street and it can be loud. Yes, there is a little noise downstairs and I would definitely suggest taking your showers early (Saturday there was little hot water), but Casa Tropicana is an INN. It is not 5 star. I realize most people expect more when paying over 350 bucks for a room, but you do GET an ocean view, snacks, great coffee, beach goodies and beach across the street with dining at your footstep. You get lots for your money: LOCATION!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank vizmerch
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thank you so much for pointing out we are a wonderful little eight room boutique hotel/inn. It is very hard if not impossible to compete up with larger 5 star resorts, we don’t have a golf course, workout room, spa, or even a pool. But we do offer exceptional access to the Pacific Ocean at your door step. And one of the only wooden piers on the California coast line. However this does not prevent us from getting as close as possible to meeting or exceeding our guests expectations. Sue and I live on site, We are always here to help out. Sorry about the hot water problem. The hot water is working wonderfully. I think there must have been a sudden surge for demand at the same time. We will keep an eye on that one. Thank you for the heads up.

South Bend, Indiana
Reviewed 19 August 2013

I had a wonderful stay. Location is great for beach time, interesting walk to downtown with fabulous farmer's market on Sunday. Room was clean and stocked with munches-too any sweet items for me. The food bar was on the same floor as my room. I loved being able to easily get my French press coffee early in the morning. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Nanci2013
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thanks so much for your great comments! We all love it when you love it! I agree with the great fresh taste of our morning coffees made in our French presses. Nothing is better.

See ya soon…
Santa Barbara, California, United States
Reviewed 14 August 2013

It is not often I am moved to take pen to paper, but in this case, I feel I must comment on our excellent stay at the Casa Tropicana Inn in San Clemente, CA a few weeks ago. We discovered a lovely little romantic inn right across the street from a beautiful and inviting beach. The ocean view was second to none, the rooms lavishly decorated, and the ambiance perfect. The Innkeeper, Patti, was extremely nice, and could not have been more helpful. She is truly an asset to Casa Tropicana, and she made our stay delightful. We really enjoyed watching a fantastic sunset on the deck, followed by a magnificent Jacuzzi bath in our room. We highly recommend Casa Tropicana and will definitely return as soon as possible.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the better the view!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Martin G
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
I am so glad we moved you! Your experience and praise reflects all that we strive to deliver to each of our guests. The whole team is always happy to know we’ve hit our target. Please hurry back, and keep telling your friends too!

West Covina, California
Reviewed 24 July 2013

I searched for a place to stay with my family before and after our wedding, and stumbled upon the Casa Tropicana Patron Condo.

The location is ideal. The beach is shallow very far out and my 9-year old and I had a blast. There are restaurants right downstairs and the downtown area is a short walk.

Pros and Cons... When we first got there, the lady at the front desk took us to our rooms. we had one room, and also the condo. My first thought was, oh my, flies! Flies on every deck... a lot of them! It doesn't bother me, but I was worried what my family would think. Well, they are kelp flies... they don't land on anything... no worries - it is all party of the experience of being at the beach!

The website claims that the Patron Condo sleeps 6. I was told that the third room is not a bedroom, but a little area with a sleeper sofa for two, when I booked the reservation. This is what I expected. But, when I showed up, I noticed that the "sleeper sofa" was not such. I called the after hours number and the owner, Rick, answered. He told me that they usually lay the cushions on the ground to make a bed. Whaaaa? When he noticed my confusion, he immediately offered to bring a roll-out bed for us (despite the fact that it was Saturday night and he out out with his wife). The two roll out beds in that room worked great for us.

The dishes in the condo were dirty. It looks like the last person that stayed was lazy and rude. The dishes were all nasty, not washed. I mentioned this to the lady at the front desk at the end of our trip, she was very apologetic. I was not upset, but thought they should know that checking the dishes might be a good thing. ;)

I was there getting ready for our wedding, and sweating, like crazy... just after I got my hair and make-up done... trying to get into my wedding dress. LOL... I called downstairs to let them know the air wasn't working, and the front desk told me, "We live at the beach. We do not have air. Open the windows and doors, turn on the fans". The owner, Rick, quickly brought a fan up to us to help with air circulation. It did help.

The train - if you do not like noise, don't stay here! Me, on the other hand, well I LOVE the sound of the train. Again, all part of the experience! And, our two babies in the family loved it too... everytime the train would come by, we ran outside to wave buh-bye!

The condo is large, roomy, beautifully decorated. The staff quickly responded to any request. The location is to die for. Gorgeous views, the pier right outside, the experience of the train... I loved it!

The single room that I got in addition ( because my family could not all fit in the condo) was super small, cute, clean, and had a lot of complimentary goodies.

No elevator (at least I did not see one). So, I am happy my grandma decided not to come with us!

We loved it... I want to stay every year for our anniversary, but maybe next time we will get the condo and the penthouse, right above the condo. This would be a great mix!!

Or - the b&b is for sale... hmmmmmm... seems like a lot of work, but I am going to look into it!

Great place! Great staff! NOTE: this place is not for everyone... but it is why it makes it so unique and a fun stay. Stay away if you are stuffy and require amenities of the Ritz Carlton. If you are down-to-earth, and love the beach and outdoors, make this a regular place to stay!

Room Tip: For a small family, the condo is awesome!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Suzy C
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Thanks you for all of your comments. Sue and I are really glad we could make your wedding day special! Weddings are really big events and we are especially glad we could help you through all of your wedding needs for you, and all of your family and friends. I agree the Casa de Patron is a great place to stage a wedding. It’s about 2,500 square feet of ocean front living! And it’s big enough for everyone to get ready for a wedding in. Please hurry back.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for a vacation and it was an added bonus that the Superbowl game was on. Let me tell you, it was the best way to watch a game ever!! The "Trop" has the best view of the San Clemente pier and main beach. We were able to relax on the deck and scope out the scene below for hours. The rooms were so comfy and and "homey" and the staff was very personable and helpful. We will definitely be back to checkout the sunset again soon!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
A lot of our guests do just simply check in, and check out. They just relax and sometimes we never even got to meet them. But not everyone gets to have the Super Bowl played for them when they relax. I’m glad we could make a special Super memory for the both of you!

Kailua, Hawaii
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I arrived at the Tropicana to a friendly greeting by Patty, who showed me to my room, the Del Sol. The room was freshly prepared, clean and bright, full extra amenities like snacks and free beverages - juice and water in the fridge.

The bed was comfortable, television had many unexpected extra channels including music. The bathroom was well stocked with personal care items - lotion, shampoo, conditioner, cotton balls and salts for the tub. Bathrobes and towels are nice quality and well stocked.

Morning coffee supplies are always available, coffee is good quality. Drinking my coffee out on the patio watching the crowds at the pier was a pleasure.

As a San Clemente native, I've always wanted an excuse to stay at the tropicana to try it out - a friends wedding was the perfect reason! I stayed for 4 nights and had a wonderful experience all the way around. Each day the room was taken good care of, the staff was always pleasant. Sunsets restaurant served a great salad as well the one time I dined there.

All in all I definitely recommend the Tropicana!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Four days isn’t quite long enough is it? From the sound of your great comments I think you could have stayed a month! We love taking care of our guests and I’m glad you did get a good long stay with us. I’m just sorry you took so long to come and check us out. We do get a lot of locals staying with us. They agree it’s like a little piece of paradise. Don’t stay away so long next time. See you soon.
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Clemente
#5 of 18 in San Clemente
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#3 of 22 in Laguna Beach

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!