“Kind of what I expected - dated but good location”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We stayed here for three nights and it was what I mostly expected just from viewing the pictures on the website. The property has become dated especially the bathroom - the shower was some sort of make shift system over the spa tub. The water pressure was awful and we could never get the temp set to a normal temp it was either hot or cold. The bedroom part was comfortable - it was cool when we were there so we could sleep with the window closed and use a fan that we had brought with us and we were comfortable.

If you like to be near the beach then this location is for you. Having a glass of wine from the deck and the view of the pier and the ocean was great. It is quite a walk up the hill ( not that far just a steep walk up) to town to the shopping and restaurants.

The staff was very nice and friendly so everything good there. So really except for the shower it was not a bad stay but just not for us.

3  Thank tripsforfun1

Reviewed 13 June 2014

We stayed in the fuego room, and it wasn't a very comfortable experience. The air conditioning wasn't working, which made the room very hot. While typically we would have kept the windows open, the loud train across the street from the inn would blare its horn all night. We ended up trying to craft an a/c by putting a bucket of ice in front of of a fan. The a/c was clearly broken before we checked in, and we repeatedly complained about it, but nothing was done to remedy the situation.
Regarding the room: the bed was comfortable and clean, though the bathroom was outdated. The staff was also friendly overall.
There were also some other annoyances at Casa Tropicana. There was always a host of flies in the common area, which was right in front of the room. While I appreciated the free breakfast basket provided, it was not freshened every day.
In short, we were disappointed by our stay, especially since we just couldn't be comfortable in the heat.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

We found this great B&B on our way from San Diego. It's a hidden gem.. We were in the Casita Azahar room on the second floor. It's beautiful with a great view of the sea and the pier with a shared balcony. We loved the rose petals on the bed! The woman who helped us was awesome, so nice and helpful.. WE would stay here again...

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I recently spent two lovely nights at the Casa Tropicana in the Casa Arena Room. The room was gorgeous, the staff friendly and helpful and the sea views from the balcony outside my room simply spectacular. The Casa Tropicana is perfectly located with the pier across the street, the main street of San Clemente a short walk away and great restaurants and places for coffee and breakfast next door - although the basket of food for snacks and the breakfast basket were enough so you'd never need to leave the room. A tea and coffee bar with fresh fruit supplied was available 24 hours a day, and parking is available. The only problem I had was my bed was so high I needed a step ladder to climb into it! I treated myself with strawberries dipped in chocolate on arrival. Utterly decadent and delicious!

Room Tip: I was in a room at the front and found it quiet and comfortable with everything I needed included.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank jredcon
Reviewed 22 April 2014

My husband and I stayed here for our one year wedding anniversary. It was absolutely perfect. It was very romantic with the fireplace, rose petals on the bed, two person jet tub, and the view of the ocean. We stayed in the casita clemente. The ocean is right across the street, which is not more than a hop and skip away from the front door of the hotel. There are little cafes, a convenient mart, pizza place, and bar that are right below the hotel. If you're worried about noise, don't be because it is so peaceful and quiet at night. During the day it can get kinda loud from all the people going to the beach and the Amtrak train that is right along the road that you have to pass over in order to get to the beach. But it's really not that bad except for the train horns and the train doesn't run at night. The room has plenty of free snacks and soda/water in the room, which is really nice! They do offer wine/champagne and beer but for an extra fee. There is coffee downstairs on the first floor. We stayed on the second floor. The only complaints about the room/hotel is that the water pressure was terrible in the shower, our view of the ocean from our room was blocked by stairs, and that it didn't have a private or semi private balcony. However, the shared patio was very nice with chairs, chaise lounges, and tables. Plus, no one else used the patio on our floor so we had it all to ourselves. Other than those things, this hotel and room was amazing. The staff was very pleasant and friendly and the room was very clean. It was absolutely perfect for our anniversary. The pictures on Casa Tropicana's website do not do this room justice! It reminded us a lot of honeymoon in Mexico. :)

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank traveler_0413
Reviewed 12 April 2014

My husband and I have lived in San Clemente for over 20 years. We are very familiar with the "Trop" yet have never stayed. Well, my husband decided it was time and SURPRISED me with an overnight stay in the Casa del Rey for my birthday!! Needless to say, I was overwhelmed. The room was spectacular---spacious, clean and smartly decorated. I even had a bottle of champagne chilling for me! The bed was oversized comfy and the sheets....heaven!! The view was amazing (even though it was a stormy night) and the deck...large enough to have some friends join us yet remain quiet and private. We utilized both the Jacuzzi AND Sauna too. This was definitely a Birthday to remember--in our own backyard. Thank you Sue & Rick

Room Tip: Our room was on the top level---HIGHLY recommended!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki F
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Savaged our 39th wedding anniversary trip! Wonderfully accommodating, beautiful, comfortable. Made our trip a wonderful experience! Staff excellent, worth every Penney. Beautiful view, comfortable room with many extras, convenient to pier, great parking accomadating. Can't say enough will go back for sure!

Room Tip: All rooms great. Wonderful patios to view the ocean!
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North
The Inn At Laguna Beach
The Inn At Laguna Beach
#6 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!