“Amazing Nirvana with a view, best location in San Clemente if you like the beach!”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 22 April 2009

Spent several nights there with my girl friend while in town on business. Although we stayed in the penthouse suite, I saw several of the other rooms. The penthouse is on the fifth floor and is across the street from the beach and the San Clement pier. It has a private patio with chaises, a sauna and, a hot tub which overlooks the pier and coast. The proverbial million dollar view from the tub. The room is large, and the bathroom/dressing area huge. The room is well-appointed.
Casa Tropicana does not nickel and dime you once you are there. Complimentary wine & champagne on the day of your arrival, but coffee, french coffee presses, snacks such as candy bars, cheeses, crackers, yogurts, peanuts, fruit, popcorn and beverages, are there for the duration of your stay without charge. Adding up to real savings, particularly if you have children or are hungry.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business

Reviewed 22 March 2009

Quite frankly, I would have liked this place more if I wasn't spending approx. $400 a night. Yes the location is perfect and adds to the price but next time I will find an alternative as there are other places close to the beach (and two night condo rentals are not hard to find in this area either). I read the reviews before staying here and do sympathize with those who didn't like the breakfast (it didn't wow me and we didn't eat it), or the price. The train really was not that loud, nor the whistle as long as the train one mile from my house that I hear many a night. I didn't even need the ear plugs they provide. Our window in an upscale room (the San Clemente) did look out over the stairs while the room next to us, which cost a little less and was smaller, had a better view. The balconies are nice and kudos to the owners for providing wine and champagne and snacks. That makes for a nice way to unwind upon arriving, which I noticed most couples did. Also the parking is very good and I'm sure contributes to the high cost of the room.
I do think the owners ought to stop advertising the large jacuzzi tub in the San Clemente room as ocean view. I expected it to be next to a window but it was behind the bedroom and one would have to work a bit to see the ocean from there. The good: the bed which was very comfortable. The not-so-good (but easy to fix): The bathroom light was very dim making make-up application difficult; and a full length mirror could be added. There is no closet to hang clothes and put shoes but my husband hung his sports coat on hooks in the bathroom where two robes are provided. Shower is awkward as it is in the jacuzzi - fine for us but some folks might have difficulty getting in and out. The vinyl coach had two cushions missing - though there were plenty of other pillows we could have used if we wanted. Bottom Line: I didn't think it warranted $400 a night, especially during off-season. If the price were more reasonable, I might recommend to a friend, as long as that friend were physically adept with stairs and able to accept the quirkiness of some of the hotel's features. One thing, if you stay in San Clemente, eat at the restaurant White Horses which is adjacent. It is wonderful! Also check out the cheese store on Del Mar Avenue. We bought some great cheese and fig cake. Next time we will eat dinner there.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
casatrop, Rick Anderson, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2009

Quirky could be Cool!!

I agree. $400.00 is a lot of money…especially in these tough economic times. Ocean front Casita Clemente’s posted room rate is $310 weekdays and $375 on the weekends for this large suite. I am very sorry you feel you didn’t receive the value our inn has to offer. Pricing is sometimes difficult to place. From the tone of your comments, I see the over all experience with us was positive, and I think we lost you with the nightly rates. It was just more than you seemed willing to part with. And in your opinion, more than you wanted to spend. I completely understand.

I must point out that doesn’t necessarily translate to a bad experience or inadequate accommodations, but perhaps more than you wanted to justify spending to facilitate your expectations. I would like you to consider we strive to exceed every guest’s expatiations, but at the same time realistically concede to that impossibility. Our true goal is delight into the 95% range, and biased on our past guests comments and the following other reviews, I believe we are achieving it!

Thanks for your positive comments about our ocean view balconies, wines, champagne, snacks, and ability to unwind upon your arrival. Also one of our biggest complements, as you pointed out are our big comfortable beds. We are really glad you got out to enjoy some of our local restaurants and little specialty shops just up the street from our inn.

All of our rooms are very different, we like that. But our ocean view rooms do in fact view the ocean; it’s only about 150 yards in front of us, and impossible to miss.
The style of the couch may have appeared to be vinyl, if it’s important, but I paid for leather. From my perspective it does have back rest cushions, and one large pillow that could be confused for only one of three. Thanks for the suggestions on the bathroom lights and the full mirror I will take care of that.

I guess you could call the shower in Casita Clemente quirky. But my thinking when I built it was it is more like the traditional old fashioned porcelain claw tubs…only a lot larger. In the old cast iron tubs, they had an identical shower curtain that you pulled all around you and the shower head came from above. Ours is in a large Jacuzzi sweetheart backed tub for two with a raindrop shower head coming from the center of the tub in the same fashion. I thought it kinda cool, but I guess you could call it quirky.Thanks for all you comments, we really do appreciate them.

Reviewed 15 March 2009

casa tropicana is a beautiful little beach hotel right across from the peir in San Clemente. We spent our night after our wedding there and it was perfect. From the early check in to the champagne, rose petals, and chocolate covered strawberries when we returned, it was great! Not to mention the full ocean view, and the friendliest service in San Clemente. We will be back on on our one year anniversary and I will recommend it to any visitors that I have coming to SC.

1  Thank Vanessahurtado
Reviewed 3 March 2009

The location is great the hotel is wonderful but the amenities and service is what tips the scales for me. The room was immaculate! As soon as I walked in I was instantly relaxed and on vacation. It was beautifully decorated and comfortable.
The staff was incredible. When I say staff I mean everyone from the owner, front desk, cleaning, and cooks. Very warm, helpful and accommodating. It's the little thoughtful things that make a nice hotel an excellent hotel. The location alone would have allowed the owner to skip over extras. Fortunately, for us every little detail is thought of from complimentary snacks and drinks in the room and in common area to beach towels, blankets and chairs for the beach. There was even a stack of worthy reading material available. I also want to compliment the in room description folder, it was functional and funny. We can't wait to come back.

1  Thank corkyhorse
Reviewed 26 January 2009

My husband took me to Casa Tropicana for a surprise birthday trip (which included all of my best friends and my sisters). We lived in San Clemente several years ago and had always heard wonderful things about this cute boutique hotel, and it did not disappoint. Our room was great, the bed was super comfortable, and the breakfast each morning was amazing. We were the only guests at the hotel and did not have to share the balcony with anyone else, which was very nice. The train didn not bother us one bit- the hotel provides earplugs! The staff is very friendly and accomodating. It was a fabulous trip, and we will definitely stay at Casa Tropicana again!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank questrange
Reviewed 24 December 2008

[my first letter was long, but it flew into web-land, so another try because it was so worth it!]

My husband and I celebrated my 75th Birthday and our 5th Wedding Anniversary at the Casa Tropicana Inn in San Clemente. This is a place I close my eyes, click my heels and wish I could go back.

It is right across the street from the old Fishing Pier (that has a great Fish Restaurant), and just above a great fine-dining restaurant.

it is so beautiful and homey. There is a community kitchen for the 8 rooms, full of offerings for the taking. A microwave (and pop corn), coffee maker and fridge are for our use. And the room fridge is stocked with champagne, wine, water and soft drinks, plus cheese and fruit. All part of the ticket.

There is no pool except there is a spa for the posh apartment on the top floor. We were across the street from the ocean, so who cared. Also there is a new 2 1/2 mile walking path is next to the sand and they have swings and play equip. for kiddies.

Metrolink stops just in front. It's handy and a short walk from the charming shopping area. Like a secret and less costly La Jolla.

And, speaking of costs. During the off season and this trying economy, bargains can be had. Call the management and see if you can strike a deal. It's smart, friendly, perfectly located and the fire place in the room works with a switch and kept us warm on winter nights.

We loved it. And a tip: "Sonny's" pizza and italian restaurant was plentiful and really excellent.

My husband and I have done a lot of 'sophisticated' traveling, well known venues and 4/5 star hotels. But we've rarely been so happy and relaxed than our stay at Casa Tropicana. (Maybe it's because our spa tub in the bathroom was big enough for two?)

Jackie Joseph-Lawrence

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 December 2008

We wanted a relaxing bed and breakfast by the sea. Unfortunately we didn't quite get our relaxing weekend. We booked via the hotel website which was convenient. Phone conversations with the hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Upon arrival on Saturday night we were shown to our second floor 'ocean view' room. Immediately we noticed the 'common balcony' mentioned by the website was immediately outside our ocean view window. If we wanted to see the ocean we had to look through the many people on the balcony literally inches from our room window. Zero privacy. After dinner we returned to a full-on party on the balcony. Their cigarette smoke had entered the room thru our open window but since there is no air conditioning we could not get rid of it. The seating area is immediately outside the window and it sounded like a dorm party all night. Next morning the hotel staff told us this large smoking and drinking group had been warned the night before we arrived. We could not risk another sleepless night so we left a day early on Sunday. We did get our one day $$ returned. If we had not been on the party balcony this might have been relaxing but it is too expensive and not very private. I would recommend this B&B for young party goers or those planning on staying on the private penthouse floor away from the noise and smoking. The train rumbling thru at 2AM is also mentioned by others. The hotel staff is not there overnight so we could not get them involved so we had to try and chase the partyers off the balcony ourselves. In summary, cute location, lots of noise, tiny rooms, pretty overpriced, but nice folks running it.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank zack7los_angeles
casatrop, Rick Anderson, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2009

Privacy at Casa Tropicana is very much available!

Well…I’ve got to admit; you’ve got me on the common decks. And I will also agree, sometimes guests fail to respect other people’s sanctuary. Our inn sits on a lot that is 40 feet wide and 80 feet deep, it was very hard to fit all we have here in our five stories and get all the privacy we would love to provide all of our guests. The majority of time our guests are very respectful and considerate of each other. I am sorry that wasn’t your case.

However there are options. I have to guess you stayed in one of the ocean front rooms on the second floor. That floor has five rooms that for the most part quietly share the common deck. As I am sure you noticed, at night when we light the candles on your glassed topped whicker tables, and comfy cushioned chairs, the romantic Pacific and softly lit San Clemente wooden pier, hosted by the dark starry nights are so romantic, most couples sit in silence. As noted in several reviews, we provide a bottle of champagne, chardonnay, and merlot upon arrival…free to each and ever room. In my 19 years of owing and operating our inn, the vast majority of our guests take this special evening time to enjoy their provided drinks, crystal clear Catalina Island sunsets, and full moon beamed ocean to rekindle their relationships and appreciate where they have come to rest for that night. It is mostly quiet conversations and hand holding. With most guests coming and going to dinners and nightly entertainment at different times, it is unusual for more that two couples even share the decks at the same times.

On our third floor there are only two rooms that share the same sized deck as below, which are as wide as the whole building. This may provide more privacy for those seeking it. But the ultimate world wide room to enjoy just your selves is the fifth floor penthouse!

The whole floor and private gated deck is yours. Complete with your own 8 foot square Jacuzzi on the outside deck corner over look. A private outdoor dry sauna for two, with your wet bar and refrigerator stocked full of free goodies and adult beverages as in every room. If anyone is looking for privacy, you will never beat this experience.

I must let every one know, Sue and I live on site! Our home is on the forth, and rear of the fifth floor. The inn is NEVER unattended. Having only 8 rooms it is impractical to operate a 24 hour front desk. All anyone, anytime needs to do to contact staff or ourselves, is dial the Casa Tropicana phone number, (949) 492-1234. You can always contact someone 24 hours a day that way. Please no midnight condo salesmen, thank you. And sorry, just one more thing….there is a train, its does go by, and each engineer may sound a horn at different levels. It is federally mandated due to the crossing at the pier. Most guests say it adds to the romance. Come see for your selves!

Rick Anderson

#4 of 18 in San Clemente
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!