“Probably the best spot in all of San Clemente”
Review of Casa Tropicana

Casa Tropicana
Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 24 March 2010

Casa Tropicana is a small bed and breakfast right on the ocean, next to the pier in San Clemente. It has a handful of rooms, each with a custom theme. The rooms are basically all the same, with the exception of the top level. The rooms are very nice, comfortable and more contemporary than the average Bed and Breakfast. The staff is great and super accommodating. They also have a very nice, hot breakfast everyday.

The key to this place is location. Casa Tropicana is right on the main, ocean facing strip of San Clemente, down at the pier. You couldn't find a better spot if you tried. You're a short walk from shops and restaurants. I think every room has an ocean view. Ours certainly did, you look out right over the ocean, park and pier. You can hear the waves crashing at night. There is very little real estate in San Clemente on the ocean front. You can tell it's been bought up by private land owners and turned into condos and apartments. It's nice to have a Bed and Breakfast that the average person can visit and enjoy, since most of us will never afford our own place on the beach. Ignore the reviews that complain about the train. I think it stops running during the late night. And it's not like it's a long, rumbling freight train. It is a light commuter rail that shoots by with some bells and whistles. It actually is almost relaxing in a sense. The room we were in had a large window that opened up onto the common balcony/deck, as well as a large sliding glass door. If this were a large, crowded hotel, you would have experienced a lot of noise from other guests. It's a small, quiet hotel, so my fears were alleviated. The only noise that bothered me (I am very sensitive) was from the apartment/condo next door.

The people who work here are super nice. Since it's a smaller place, they actually have the ability to interact with their guests. It's a pleasant surprise to the usual guest by room number you deal with at larger places. When I called to make the reservation they were super nice, until checkout when they asked if I wanted to keep my parking pass for more free parking and time at the beach.

The rooms are more contemporary than the typical B&B. I find most B&B's to be a little too grandma's house for my tastes. This place was much more modern, but still cozy. The bed was really comfortable and they had a flat panel TV, DVD player and mini fridge. I liked that the mini fridge was stocked with champagne, juice, water and snacks, included in the cost. Very thoughtful touch in my mind. The rooms are small, especially the bathroom, but more than adequate. (It's no Vegas size suite, but you've got more than enough room for two.) Some rooms have nice touches like fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs.

They do a great little breakfast buffet for guests. Eggs, breakfast burritos and a few other hot items. I'm a breakfast fan and appreciated the hot items like eggs. Since most places put out kind of poor excuses for breakfast.

I'd highly recommend Casa Tropicana. While a little on the pricey side, you definitely get what you pay for, location, location, location. Nothing better than watching the sunset from your deck patio with a glass of wine.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
casatrop, Owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2010

We agree with you!

Although, we are confident that Casa Tropicana is actually, hands down, is in fact the Best Ocean Front Spot in all of San Clemente, Orange County, or California! But hey, we could be accused of being biased too. But we still believe it so. Sue and I enjoy being on site and getting to know our guests as best we can, without getting in the way.

Thank you for you positive comments about our own personal train set! Most people just have to be satisfied with a small little Lionel Train set. But at the Tropicana, we go big. Yep, real live trains…now where else can you get that? The things we do for our guest's. As you described, they do go by, but most people enjoy them. They are defiantly not a deal breaker when considering your stay with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Rick
Owner

Reviewed 20 February 2010

The Casa Tropicana in San Clemente is like an island retreat right here in Southern California. The stay truely made us feel like we were on an island vacation. What a powerful experience. If you have traveled the world and been to tropical and exotic islands you can expect the Casa Tropicana to make you feel more invigorated, relaxed, and satisfied, without the complications of international travel.

If you are looking for a great getaway in Southern California, try the Casa Tropicana in San Clemente. In fact, we enjoyed the demeanor and classic style of the Casa Tropicana as much as its prime location. It's right on the beach, with a view of the pier, and provides everything you need to have a great vacation within a mile.

Of course, you are only a few blocks from downtown San Clemente with its wonderful shops and fun restaurants. Our favorite spots were on the pier at Fisherman's where we enjoyed awesome oysters, clams, and fish n chips. We also checked out the Cellar, an exotic wine and beer bar where we enjoyed chocolate bacon paired with delicious wine.

Finally, don't plan to go out for breakfast when you're staying at the Casa Tropicana. They serve a delicious, homemade selection of cheesy scrambled eggs, breakfast burritos, fruits, side dishes, and an array of yogurts and coffee. Grab your bottle of champagne from your refrigerator and enjoy mimosas, good company, and a beautiful view of the San Clemente pier and beach.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled on business
casatrop, owner at Casa Tropicana, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2010

Casa Tropicana is your local island getaway!

Your description is exactly what Sue and I have in mind for all of our guests to experience! We couldn’t have said it better….Thank you!

We really feel like we’ve done our job when we see reviews like this one. We both live and work in our inn, and of course love where we live. That’s why we decided to build it, and then share it with the world. But when we read reviews like yours, it really reminds us of how special San Clemente is.

A lot of guests compare us to Hawaii but closer. With our palm tree lined beaches, ocean views, and Catalina Island sunsets; all you need is a Mi-Tia and paper umbrella, with a pineapple wedge! We absoulity love to share the Aloha around here.

Thanks for letting everyone know that paradise is possible here at Casa Tropicana!

You guys Rock!

Rick
Owner

Reviewed 19 February 2010

Tom Petty said, "I've got a room at the top of world tonight..." With unencumbered views of the open Pacific Ocean breaking onto the San Clemente Pier, beach and Dana Point, an outdoor dry sauna and jacuzzi, soaking tub for two (indoor), personal touches (fresh flowers, champagne, shells, rose petals, et al) to accomodate your needs and desires, right down to the hand delivered pacakge from Victoria's Secret ("secreted" away in your closet) and a fireplace in all rooms of your suite; for what more could you ask?

Rick and Sue, Innkeepers, couldn't be more accomodating, professional, respectful of your privacy and genuinely interested in offering you the best of what a boutique inn has ever been seen by this world-traveling couple. Their restaurant recommendations are spot on for those willing to listen....

The inn is much closer to the sea than what can be shown from the photos on their very nicely produced website....do take the time to watch the video; it is well worth a two dimensional glimpse into the three dimensional reality of what you'll experience here. The train whistles--to some haunting, to others, comforting, coming from the tracks five floors below is not disruptive and in this "Bohemian" woman's opinion, quite calming--not a noise, but the joy of having ridden Amtrak trains (nearly always for pleasure) many times along the coast of California.....like bells ringing, carrying clearly through a Winter's night during the Holiday evenings, like a light snowfall when one is not expected....

Get away, even for 24 hours; stay for a week (or more), if that is luxury time can afford you. You will be amazed.....We had not been out overnight for nearly seven years, having spent a month in Ireland then; running two businesses of our own had not allowed us this incredible luxury. This "one night out" was a reminder of the true meaning of recreation ("re-create"). Don't pass this one up. Stay in the "Casita del Rey Penthouse" and enjoy the privacy of the entire top floor of the hotel....you will be refreshed, rejuventated, inspired.....we'll leave the rest to your imagination.

The amenities, with their very close proximity to restaurants, beach and sunset walks, biking, parks, the sea, surfing, walking, spacing, thinking, writing, and all of those other emotional releases that one needs to have, more now than ever, are right at your finger to toe tips. Immerse yourself or yourselves.....You deserve it.

The friendships that you are lucky enough to encounter along the way wil be of your own making....they are there and awaiting. It's a very small world and we had that shown to us twice in less than eight hours.....work and then play afterwards. Bon Voyage, Bon Appetit, and last, but not least,

Slainte (Irish for "cheers")

LA Reilly & JMS

PS - We like the off-season retreats, the "off the beaten track" treks.....Your tastes may differ and, yet, the experience of both for those of us possibly of different minds, will be just as magnificent.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank LA_Reilly
Reviewed 16 February 2010

We thoroughly enjoyed our one month stay in the very comfortable Casa Bahama room at the Casa Tropicana. Rick and Sue along with their entire staff were always very courteous, helpfull, and professional during our entire stay. The fresh fruit along with the teas and hot choclate were a daily treat. We also enjoyed walks along the beach and the incredible nightly sunsets. Thank you so much for a month of excellent hosting! Barry and Carole Anker

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple

BFFE! (“best friends for ever”)

Barry & Carole, Thank you for spending a month with us! We enjoyed your company and getting to know you. Especially when Sue and I would invite you guys up to our house for a home cooked dinner on the fourth floor. We became friends and we look forward to coming by you ranch in Wisconsin when we get to travel that way in our RV! We know we have a place to stay by the lake on your property from you invitation to come and stay with you for a month. But I’m pretty sure we won’t be able to say quite that long…unless the fish are really biting in your lake!

You guys are such an example of how many friends we have made from all over the world, by inviting everyone to stay with us in our inn. I don’t know if we have enough life time left to go and visit everyone who has invited us, but we’re willing to give it a try!

Your friends,

Rick & Sue
Owners

Reviewed 13 February 2010

First off I would like to say I have never been much into "relaxing" or looking at scenery etc. My work allows me to see some areas in the mountains that few people will ever get to experience and most would probably be awestruck. Oceans and beaches have never really meant much either. I have never had a vacation where I was not checking in at work. Checking emails etc. Basically your extreme workaholic type.

That all changed at Casa Tropicana. There is something about this place that demands relaxation. From the moment we arrived the fast paced world was left behind. The town is small and the people are friendly. I stumbled into San Clemente last year after cruising down the pacific coast highway from Anaheim. We walked the pier and then decided to stay the night. Casa Tropicana had a room available so we decided to stay. The room was amazing and we had an enjoyable night and the next morning out on the deck eating breakfast and having a wonderful time with the couple that was staying in the room adjacent to us. The wife loved the place and we decided we would spend our next vacation there.

This is the trip I am reviewing now. We booked the Casita Clemente room for 5 nights. The room is almost perfect. The decor and layout is well done the only drawback is the lack of a dresser or place to hang your clothes. The fridge is full of snacks, juice, soda which is refilled daily and is complimentary. Also you get a bottle of champagne and some bottles of wine ( The booze is not refilled daily ;) ). The bed is large and super comfortable the view is spectacular. The room has a large two person jacuzzi tub with a overhead rain type shower. There is a DVD player and flat screen tTV with Cable and some premium channels. There is WIFI available which I planned on using to keep up on emails etc but ended up barely using as work was quickly forgotten upon arrival. There is a bag with beach stuff available and some more items available if needed. There is a common kitchen on the floor below us with a microwave, fridge, coffee you make with a press, tea and cocoa. Also some snack items you can help yourself to at anytime. In the mornings an excellent breakfast was provided. It consisted of scrambled eggs, Hard boiled eggs, Burritos, some kind of corn tortillas that were soaked in a chili? (not sure what it was called but it was tasty). Cereal,granola,yogurt,bagels,fruit. Pretty much everything I would want for breakfast. On some days they would hang a breakfast request form on the door where you could select what you wanted and at what time you wanted to eat. They would then bring breakfast to your table and ring you to let you know it was there.

The staff and owners are superb. We were treated like friends and not customers. You can tell Rick and Sue the owners love this place and genuinely care about people. This attitude is carried by the entire staff. I am not sure if they have a time that they prefer to make up the room but it was done whenever we would leave and flip the sign over from privacy. I did not catch the ladies name who cleaned our room and I believe also did the cooking but she is great. Same with Marjorie (sp) the hostess. They have an excellent team together.

The hotel is right off the beach and the pier. We saw several Jumbo squid right from the beach. They are invading the coast in the thousands right now. There is plenty to do around San Clemente. Fishing trips or pier fishing. Whale watching or port cruises from Dana Point 5 miles away. To shopping and dining. There are several excellent restaurants within 2 hundred yards and several more up a couple blocks. I just realized I could have shortened this long review to the following sentence.

Words cannot describe this place it must be experienced. So experience it for yourself I only request that if you want to experience it make sure you do not take the last room if is is when I want to book my vacation :)

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2010

The town of San Clemente has always been a special place for me but now even more so. We were lucky enough to be able to stay at the Casa Tropicana in their penthouse. The room was perfect and I really can't think of anything I would do different or would want changed! It is everything they advertise and more.

At first I didn't beleive them when they said they re-stock the refrig without an additional fee. But they did each and every day. The different bottles of wine that were put out upon checking in is a very nice touch. This was a romantic getaway and the rose petals, champagne display and the chocolate covered strawberries were brillant and made us feel very welcomed.

The breakfast is very delicious and hearty. Again just as I expected from the reviews and advertisement. They even on "check-out" day offer to bring you breakfast to your room as they understand your busy making final arrangements.

The value I think is reasonable. I mean everything you could want to do is very close by and convenient. I don't get to do the "Penthouse" every trip but for this trip it was very nice to have found the Casa Tropicana.

Everything is well thought out including a beach bag and any advice or suggestion you might need for activities, where to go, etc.. The only complaint we have is we couldn't stay longer. We look forward to when we'll be able to come back. When you stay say hello to Rick, Sue and the rest of the staff. All very friendly, caring and helpful people.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daveene
Reviewed 20 January 2010

Enjoyed this Bed and Breakfast so much more than a hotel! I had porch that I could spend time on and have breakfast every morning. An incredible place to just RELAX and enjoy the beach view from our room! Really impressed with place! The owners were very accomadating! Rose petals on the bed when we arrived with wine and snacks in the fridge! Shopping was close and great restaurants. There is a train that comes through quite often.....

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
#4 of 18 in San Clemente
Capri Laguna On The Beach
Capri Laguna On The Beach
#5 of 23 in Laguna Beach

Been to Casa Tropicana? Share your experiences!