Casa Tropicana is a small bed and breakfast right on the ocean, next to the pier in San Clemente. It has a handful of rooms, each with a custom theme. The rooms are basically all the same, with the exception of the top level. The rooms are very nice, comfortable and more contemporary than the average Bed and Breakfast. The staff is great and super accommodating. They also have a very nice, hot breakfast everyday.
The key to this place is location. Casa Tropicana is right on the main, ocean facing strip of San Clemente, down at the pier. You couldn't find a better spot if you tried. You're a short walk from shops and restaurants. I think every room has an ocean view. Ours certainly did, you look out right over the ocean, park and pier. You can hear the waves crashing at night. There is very little real estate in San Clemente on the ocean front. You can tell it's been bought up by private land owners and turned into condos and apartments. It's nice to have a Bed and Breakfast that the average person can visit and enjoy, since most of us will never afford our own place on the beach. Ignore the reviews that complain about the train. I think it stops running during the late night. And it's not like it's a long, rumbling freight train. It is a light commuter rail that shoots by with some bells and whistles. It actually is almost relaxing in a sense. The room we were in had a large window that opened up onto the common balcony/deck, as well as a large sliding glass door. If this were a large, crowded hotel, you would have experienced a lot of noise from other guests. It's a small, quiet hotel, so my fears were alleviated. The only noise that bothered me (I am very sensitive) was from the apartment/condo next door.
The people who work here are super nice. Since it's a smaller place, they actually have the ability to interact with their guests. It's a pleasant surprise to the usual guest by room number you deal with at larger places. When I called to make the reservation they were super nice, until checkout when they asked if I wanted to keep my parking pass for more free parking and time at the beach.
The rooms are more contemporary than the typical B&B. I find most B&B's to be a little too grandma's house for my tastes. This place was much more modern, but still cozy. The bed was really comfortable and they had a flat panel TV, DVD player and mini fridge. I liked that the mini fridge was stocked with champagne, juice, water and snacks, included in the cost. Very thoughtful touch in my mind. The rooms are small, especially the bathroom, but more than adequate. (It's no Vegas size suite, but you've got more than enough room for two.) Some rooms have nice touches like fireplaces and jacuzzi tubs.
They do a great little breakfast buffet for guests. Eggs, breakfast burritos and a few other hot items. I'm a breakfast fan and appreciated the hot items like eggs. Since most places put out kind of poor excuses for breakfast.
I'd highly recommend Casa Tropicana. While a little on the pricey side, you definitely get what you pay for, location, location, location. Nothing better than watching the sunset from your deck patio with a glass of wine.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Spanish-inspired architecture, ocean views, stylish comfortable decor and a relaxed atmosphere. We invite you to enjoy sunset from an ocean view deck Casa Tropicana Hotel in San Clemente is located steps from the beach and close to many local faves – Casa Romantica, San Juan Capistrano Mission and Disneyland. Offering complimentary amenities - beach bags and chairs, flat screen TVs, fireplaces, robes, wifi, and Jacuzzi tubs. Great off season prices. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your Casa Tropicana reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Casa Tropicana Hotel San Clemente
- Casa Tropicana San Clemente