“Excellent hotel with wonderful appearance, comfort, service, value”

Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Shreveport, Louisiana
“Excellent hotel with wonderful appearance, comfort, service, value”
Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here to save some money while attending a wedding and related festivities in Dana Point over 3 days, including a weekend. Could not be more pleased with my stay at this HIE in San Clemente! Location as mentioned by other reviewers may seem a bit odd at first, on a hill behind a small strip mall complex, but turns out to be very convenient in the end (easy access to I-5). Also, the complex below and the one across Avenida Pico offer plenty of quick eats and convenience shopping.

The hotel really has a wonderful appearance, inside and out, and it is all well maintained by proficient and personable staff members. Very clean, spacious, and functional. Styling mixes modern elegance with inviting Cali color scheme and sense of openness.

Room was very comfortable for my family of 4. Beds were easily large enough for 2 people and the pillows (2 soft + 2 firm on each bed) made catching some z's very easy. Clean carpeting and bathroom was faultless. Bathroom has decent counter space augmented by an upper ledge to put smaller items. Shower was great! Big showerhead and plenty of hot water. Towels were just fine. Climate control via thermostat operated seamlessly. TV, coffeemaker, fridge, microwave all were clean and functioned properly. The maid service were very friendly and took great pride in their work; even though we declined daily room cleaning, they still took the time to offer us any and all supplies that we may have needed. Maidservice team deserves praise.

Breakfast in the mornings offers easy to make pancakes, eggs, sausage, cereals, oatmeal bar, bagels, toast, fruits, milk, yogurt, coffee, tea, juice and more... Great! Breakfast staffer did a great job keeping the area clean, uncluttered, and stocked.

Computer and printer are available for guests; both were speedy and worked without a hitch for printing my boarding passes and mapping a route.

With all of that said... my favorite aspect of the entire stay was the front desk staff members. They were all beyond professional, especially Riz. She took the time to learn more about my trip with genuine interest, offered advice and recommendations right away, answered all of my questions, and never seemed flustered or backlogged despite the steady stream of guests checking in or coming to the front desk on her watch (and she has an awesome watch, by the way!). Every time I passed through the lobby area going to or coming back from another wedding event or trip to the beaches, Riz and the others ALWAYS waved and smiled and offered a relevant comment or compliment or well-wishes. I wanted to take the chance to return the favor for the good vibes that the crew here infused into my trip to the OC... My gratitude for you all. HIE San Clemente North is highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank highlander2000

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Best hotel ever! Great breakfast, friendly professional staff and unbelievable chocolate chip cookies! Some of the globalist guest had bad hotel manners, noisy in the hallways, did not pick up cereal spilled on floor, but all in all it was wonderful

Room Tip: Book a room far from the lobby. Too many parties.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

Very clean. Beds were comfortable and pillows awesome choice of soft or firm. Hot breakfast scrambled eggs sausage (turkey option) gravy, pancakes. Strange location behind businesses, up a hill, and along the freeway. Just trust the signs.

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We came for Memorial Day weekend and had mis-scheduled our dates. The team was very accommodating and helped us get a room! The whole staff was super inviting and thoughtful. Much thanks to Steven, Allan and Riz! It was like seeing friends - great interpersonal skills!!!
I would highly recommend this place even though it it's not right on the strip. My sister and I had a blast! And for all of you interested in Organic foods, there's a really great organic market walking distance.

Room Tip: We went with the suite. Completely affordable and really nice to have the living space for a holiday...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Charles T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you for your comments regarding our team here at the Holiday Inn Express San Clemente. We have recently lost a few Team Members and are a little short staffed right now but it is great to hear that our Team was able to give you great service despite being very busy. Thank you for staying with us and we hope to see you again soon.
Southern USA
Reviewed 25 May 2014

This hotel is tucked away behind a shopping center but once you drive back to the entrance it has the look and feel of a resort hotel. The staff were very helpful with all of our questions and needs. Our room was large and comfortable, the air conditioner worked great. We could not have asked for a better stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Way to go, Holiday Inn! What a wonderful little gem in a beautiful, quaint beach town. I loved my time here. Spent a week and wasn't sure what to expect going into it. Wound up getting the friendliest staff I could have asked for, housekeeping that was on top of their game and a nice, quiet stay- exactly what I was looking for.

Steven, Allan and Guzy are so kind- you'll definitely be in excellent hands with this staff, almost to the point of forgetting you're away from home at a hotel! Allan even went so far as to lend me a sweatshirt and jacket of his wife's when I told him I didn't have one for a whale watching excursion. (I wouldn't expect that on a daily basis, friends, but just trying to make the point of how extremely kind these folks are). :)

I will make it a point to add this adorable beach town to my list of getaway spots just because of this staff and their over-and-beyond service.

What's missing? A restaurant. So go out to eat or order in. Oh, and a hot tub. Simply draw a bath. Think the freeway noise may bother you? It's very minimal, and just turn on the fan- you'll forget about it as soon as you do that. As someone who likes easily accessible food, quiet, and a welcoming jacuzzi, TRUST ME- don't let these little pieces of the puzzle keep you from experiencing a wonderful place at a very reasonable price. Lastly, I read a review either on here or Yelp that mentioned someone having a room with a smell. I'll admit, my room did have a bit of a musty smell. But that's what the sliding glass door/window is for! If this happens to you, just open the door and let that coastal breeze come through. I'm only mentioning the "cons" so you can see how small they are and go in prepared, but I promise that the pros FAR outweigh them.

Enjoy! You'll be happy you checked this spot out. And don't forget to try a cinnamon bun at breakfast- yum. :)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
San Clemente, California
Reviewed 20 May 2014

The hotel and the staff were just remarkable, that made my transition from Hawaii to Camp Pendelton seemless. It is walking distance from a few shops, and a 5 minute ride to the beach. The complimentary breakfast is an awesome addition, it is not just a bagel and some fruit, they provide an assortment of food and drinks and fruit so there is something for everyone. The front office Manager Mrs. Guzy Johnson was super friendly and professional, was always working hard and would find time to engage with me and every one of the guest when ever she could, she would recommend places to eat, things to do and if there was anything that she could do to make our stays any nicer. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling through the area and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Stay on the upper levels so you can enjoy the views.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
We would like to thank you for your service. We are huge supporters of our Military and are happy that we get so many Men & Women from our armed forces who stay with us. It is an honor to serve you as you serve us in the military. Thank you