“Nice hotel and a good location”

Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North
Ranked #2 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Our room was nice it overlooked a little garden area. Friendly and helpful staff, good breakfast, comfortable bed. It was a little hard to find the first time but close to many restaurants, shopping and beaches (not walking distance). I found it conveniently located to so many attractions and easy to get on and off the freeway. I would recommend it and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 August 2014

I was very impressed with the staff at this hotel, from the warm greeting every time we passed the front desk (Morgan and Rizi and a young man on the night shift), to the women who cleaned our rooms, the woman who oversaw the much appreciated and delicious breakfast bar, to the man who made sure the chemicals in the pool were balanced! The room was updated and the bathroom was very clean. One drawback was that there was insufficient seating in the breakfast area during the peak hours and the pool is located right by the front desk area and felt somewhat enclosed. Overall, my son and I agreed that we would certainly stay there again if we return to the area--great value!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the conference rooms
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My husband and I were looking for a one night getaway in San Clemente. This hotel is tucked in the back of a shopping center, so it was quiet and affordable, not fancy, but adequate and "beachy." Perfect stop for families, comfortable beds and hot buffet breakfast in the morning.mthe staff was pleasant, friendly and patient. We live in North a Orange County, and love to come down for one night stays so this will be our new "home away from home."

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the freeway, although this is much quieter than downtown San Clemente.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Charles T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We look forward to being your "Home Away from Home". Thank you.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

It looks nice, on the outside, but you soon learn the front of the hotel are party rooms, it's a pain to find but after you find it the first time, you won't forget it, it's an odd location behind a shady shopping center, and it had a weird smell, the rooms were ok, they didn't replace the soap and only left 3 towels everyday, we had 4 people, the main problem we had was that fact the hotel rented out party space, and right next to the entrance and the party spilled over into the parking lot every night, blocking the handicap parking places, so accessible parking wasn't an option, but all the guest had to walk through smoking, drinking party goers to get into the hotel, and party guest used restrooms in the main hallway, ( they were a bit noisy at times) one drunk man went into a cussing fit upon learning he was at the wrong hotel, just not a great location for families at all

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Realtru
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

Dear Realtru,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. Our hotel is committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. It is regrettable there were certain aspects of your visit that did not meet your standards in particular the location and facilities. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience it may have caused you. Your comments will help us improve our service and offer a great experience for our guests. While we understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we hope that you would give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.

Lera P
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 1 August 2014

We took our California vacation for seven days and visited our son who is stationed at Camp Pendleton in the Marine Corps. We hopped hotels alot as we visited San Diego, La Jolla, Hollywood and San Clemente. Out of all our hotels such as the Double Tree, Sheraton and Marriott, this Holiday Inn Express was by far the best. The customer service we received was amazing. Morgan was the primary employee that ended up helping us with our needs and she was awesome. We even extended our stay two nights. I would without a doubt recommend this hotel. Awesome pizza place just down the hill as well. :) We look forward to another visit very soon.

Room Tip: We enjoyed our room and being on the main level which is actually the second floor; however I always...
2  Thank Katie N
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I have to give this hotel the lowest possible rating I can. If there was a rating below "poor", that is the rating I would give them. This was the worst experience I have ever had at any hotel. It started at check-in when we were assigned to the handicap room. While I'm sure the accommodations are very helpful for a person needing this type of assistance, for a person who is not handicapped these devices get in the way and make enjoying the facilities virtually impossible. The bathroom is expanded out into the bedroom making the bedroom very small. The bathroom is stark, utilitarian, unattractive and cold. There is no counter space for bathroom items. The bathtub/shower is taken up mostly by a bench with the shower head attached to a hose and mounted on an adjustable bracket that keeps sliding down so it sprays at the waist instead of at the shoulders. In the bedroom there is no closet at all to hang items. The refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker are placed in a mobile unit that looks like a dumpster in the middle of the room. I feel bad for mobility-challenged people who have to settle for these types of accommodations.
Immediately after check-in I called the front desk about this problem. When I received no response after several minutes I went back to the front desk requesting that we be moved to another room. Instead of offering assistance or trying to accommodate us in some other way the manager insisted on arguing with me about how I made the reservation.
The most I can say is that the room appeared to be clean. However, housekeeping did not replenish the complimentary toiletry items or replace all the towels after cleaning. I won't even start on the complimentary breakfast (very unhealthy and unappetizing to say the least).

5  Thank Diane D
Charles T, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express San Clemente North, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Express San Clemente. We take customer feedback very seriously as it helps us improve our product and service. I did notice you copy and pasted your feedback on 3 very prominent review websites ensuring it would be read by as many potential guests as possible, so I will do my best to give an adequate response to your concerns. I am very sorry that our handicap accessible room was not up to your standards. I do understand our accessible rooms do have some different qualities about them and that these differences, that do help with mobility challenged guests, may hinder you from enjoying your room facilities. California law requires all hotels to have a certain percentage of rooms that are handicap accessible, when these rooms are not booked by guests needing this specific type of accommodation, the hotel does rent them to non-handicap guests. The date you stayed at our hotel was a Sell Out night, Saturdays in the summer are our busiest nights. In order for us to accommodate all of the guests requesting a room on Sell Out nights we must rent these “accessible” rooms when needed. Now I am unsure how or when you booked your reservation but many of the reservations that come through to the hotel are non-guaranteed room types. This means that whatever room type is available when the guest arrives is the room that this guest receives. I am assuming this is what happened with your reservation? We did not put you in this “accessible” room to upset you or to hinder your stay with us, we put you in this room due to the fact it was, most likely, the only room we had available to fit the parameters of your stay. I am also sure that the reason the front desk manager did not offer to move you to another room is because we did not have another option for your stay parameters. If you read the majority of the other reviews regarding our hotel, our Front Desk team has been mentioned many times for their “Great Customer Service”. I am sure if they were able to move you they would have. As for our complimentary breakfast being “unhealthy and unappetizing”, we have recently had many changes to our breakfast to ensure there are healthy items available for our guests. Some of the new “healthy” items we have added are; turkey sausage, oatmeal cups with topping station, greek yogurt, fresh fruit and a variety of healthy cereals.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

I was very pleased with my stay here. Each staff member from behind the desk to housekeeping were friendly, courteous and eager to help. We traveled with our 6 month old, and the fridge and microwave included in the room helped...plus the free coffee that the hotel supplies around the clock :-) I initially had difficulty with one of my computers logging in to the wi-fi and I called the front desk. Much to my surprise, the lady at the front desk immediately, voluntarily offered to come to our room and fix it. I felt like I was staying in a 5 star hotel with the prompt effort to help. This hotel was clean and felt updated on the inside. The hotel is a very short drive to the beach. I recommend this hotel.