“Something out of a horror movie”

Inn at Calafia Beach
Ranked #12 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Los Angeles
“Something out of a horror movie”
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My son purchased a two night stay at this hotel for me and my husband for Christmas. We booked our trip and proceeded to drive two hours to the destination. Upon arrival the desk clerk gave us our room key, told us we would be moved to a better room tomorrow, and told us the manager would buy us a bottle of wine. The deal supposedly came with a bottle of wine already. We proceeded to our room which was something out of a horror movie. Reeked of cigarette smoke, carpet looked like someone changed their oil on it, bathroom shower curtain was covered with pink mildew, screens were falling off the window, scratch marks inside the door (I guess they have to lock their guests in to get them to stay) headboard, and tables were dirty with age, and there were two full sized beds instead of one queen or king. The exterior is not much better. The managers young dog was left unattended in the parking lot which is 20 feet away from a four lane highway. Needless to say we didnt stay here, and asked for a refund. I have never seen such a horrible disgusting hotel in my life! Go elsewhere!!!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank unhappyLosAngeles
Colin F, Manager at Inn at Calafia Beach, responded to this review, 27 March 2013
I deeply apologize about the issues you had here. Unfortunately what actually happened was that we had over booked due to a flood of people making reservations before the Living Social expiration. We have a lot of returning guests who love staying here because of the cleanliness and the service. The bottle of wine meant that we would get you an extra bottle on top of the already provided bottle. My dog is never left unattended and he is always on a leash and sometimes enjoys being outside. He is a puppy and the guests here love to play and hang out with him. Again I am sorry about your experience but this is not somewhere where we have to "lock the guests in the rooms". The room you were in is the last room we ever give out and usually for walk-ins only. The guests before you had smoked in there which is not allowed and they were charged. As I previously stated, we had overbooked and just tried to make it work for you. Very sorry for your experience, but I can assure you that this review does not properly explain what we actually have here.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Overall, my 2 stays here have not disappointed. Dana, the owner and management is excellent! Greets you with a smile and is SUPER personable.
Retro surf motel with a quirky vibe is the theme. Basic rooms with clean linen and bath. The small fridge and microwave are good additions. About 2 miles from the beach! Loved that Hapa J's is a short walk away - a must try for Hawaiian fusion food and Kona Brewing Co. beer!
Happy with our stay in San Clemente. Will return again.

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This place is great value, and the rooms were recently redecorated, so they aren't as old and dusty as some places in the same price bracket. We enjoyed our 3 days here! There's a BBQ area and some basic kitchen equipment, which means it's easy to stay here and self-cater, if you're on a budget, or else there are loads of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Indio, California
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I was a little skeptical as drove in, but once in the room, I found the room very clean, recently painted and nicely furnished. I was given a bottle of wine and a $25 gift certificate for a local restaurant, ( didn't get a chance to use it this trip). The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's a surf motel. If your looking for a full service Hotel, this isn't it, but I was there visiting friends and just needed a clean place to sleep, and for $60 a night, I think I got more than my monies worth. Will use again the next time I go there.

Room Tip: I was in room 2.. No complaints.
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
San Diego
Reviewed 20 November 2012

As we drove in the first impression was “this does not look good”
We checked in, took a look at the room & the grounds & checked out. It is a low income run of the mill motel. Description was totally oversold.
They advertise as clean & crisp for a good night’s sleep. Not so.
I would have been afraid to put my head down on the pillow. The bed-covers were not very clean & the entire establishment was very un-kept. The adorable court yard was nothing of the kind.
The office was uninviting with the manager behind glass speaking thru a hole & a hole for a pass through. Now, does that sound like a safe neighborhood?

Room Tip: Use Trip Adviser to check out the hotel you have chosen before booking.
Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PatriciaC948
innatcalafiabeach, Manager at Inn at Calafia Beach, responded to this review, 22 November 2012
We are very sorry you didn't find our modest little surf motel didn't meet your standards. It is just that though, a small surf motel which it is also advertised as. Our towel sets, bed sheets, pillow cases and comforters are washed on a daily basis and are ALWAYS changed before our next guests arrive. If there was a pillow case you needed because the ones you saw didn't seem clean, I would have gladly assissted with that. I always go above and beyond for our guests and it has left us with good reviews and happy guests. I must say that this motel just isn't for some people. As far as the neighborhood, it is very safe and a very friendly and mellow little surf town. Our courtyard area is a grass area with a firepit, a covered kitchen with a gas grill, and two tables and some chairs. There are pictures on our website and thats all it is. A simple sitting area that our guests have always enjoyed. It always becomes a little social gathering around the fire and a great place to watch the sunset over the ocean. The glass window at our front desk does not reflect the neighborhood or the people that live and work around here. It is very safe. For the prices we offer and the service we provide you will absolutely get everything you paid for and even more. Again we are sorry you didn't choose to stay with us and we will do everything we can so this situation does not happen again.

-Management

Travellers are raving about these San Clemente hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 October 2012

I stayed there for 9 days and it was a great experience! very comfortable, quite yet close to Downtown San Clamente (3min drive from Ave. Del Mar (downtown main st.)
Staff are SUPER AMAZING! Helpful, kind, friendly, wonderful vibe! If i go back to San Clamente, i would definatelly stay there again! It had everything i needed!
Fast WiFi, Clean, comfortble, very beautiful outdoor kitchen & BBQ, with patio area and fire pit. Excellent way to cook your dinner while watching the sun setting.
5min drive from the Calafia beach.Free Parking. 2min drive from Ralph's Grocery store, 1min drive from Hwy 5.
Wonderful place to stay! Higly recommend! :-)

Room Tip: Look on Yelp.com for Room pix, they have really nice rooms with funky names like Zen Room, Endless s...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
Tarzana, CA
Reviewed 1 October 2012

The room was dirty, everything was filthy and bugs were walking on the floor of the bathroom.. Need to be a magician to set up the basic things in the bathroom. No A/C! Need to leave the door open to ventilate the room.
Hospitality was excellent. A new manager called Collin, that was really trying. However, the housekeeper forgot to clean the room.........Oooop!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple