“HORRIFIC”

Inn at Calafia Beach
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 18 May 2014

SERIOUSLY????
Our daughter bought us a Living Social weekend and that is the best thing I can say about this deal. That she bought us a gift because she is wonderful.

We arrived and the parking lot was filled with what appeared to be crack heads - keep in mind this IS NOT a destination for families, people past the age of 30 or senior citizens.

NORMAL PEOPLE NEED NOT APPLY

I will say 2 kind things about The Inn at Calafia Beach - the room was clean and great water pressure. Most of "the guests" resided there and apparently you can buy drugs of any kind - but I think the next door neighbor was selling something. There was constant in and out traffic to the room next door. People would show up, stay for a couple of minutes, then leave. Skin head little children were running around in the parking lot...kid you not...my husband came in and told me a 4 year old had a tatted back piece and I almost believed him. We had a 2 day deal and only stayed 1. The room had no closet or place to hang your clothes, a bathroom window, comes with screw driver marks of people trying to break in-that's comforting, huh or break out. No a/c - however they do have ceiling fan but make sure it's working properly. We had to ask for a remote control for the TV and had to program it ourselves. Tip: STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE, WE DID NOT FEEL SAFE HERE AND NEVER WILL RETURN. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST PLACE I'VE EVER STAYED.

Room Tip: I'm sure there are much better places to stay in San Clemente
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Laurie S

Reviewed 3 September 2013

Don't expect too much from this place, but it wasn't as horrible as some of the previous reviews. I booked us a 3 night stay over Labor Day Weekend. I looked at older reviews and found that many had loved this place. More recent reviews, were not so positive. But, I gave it a shot, because the price was right. Overall, it worked out well. We only used our room to sleep. There is so much to do around here and the weather is perfect! We just spent our days outside of the hotel enjoying the beaches, farmers market, restaurants and nearby cities.

The pros: The location is perfect! Close to everything San Clemente has to offer and the freeway. The price. Its hard to find anything in the area under $100/night. Our room decor. We enjoyed the artwork and the table lamps, as well as the window coverings. The room was also clean. And (when we asked), they were very quick to stock us with clean towels and linens. Our neighbor/housekeeping technician, was very friendly and helpful.

The cons: The rooms need some TLC. Chipped paint and holes in the walls. There is no automatic maid service, so be prepared to ask for the things you need. The rooms are non-smoking, but be prepared that the parking lot is not. And since the rooms do not have A/C, if you keep your window open (like we did for air), you will get to smell the smoke. Oh! And make sure the heater is not on (it was the hottest weekend of the year and not only is there no A/C, but the heater in our room was on. They did get it turned off though, once we let them know.)

All in all, it all worked out fine. This place worked for what we needed it for, a place to sleep!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank HammersPrincess
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We purchased a two night, two bedroom Groupon coupon and stayed here May 10-12. After spending a long day at the San Diego Zoo, we just wanted a shower and a quick nap before dinner with our relatives. When I went to check in, the young man behind the glass partition said he would open the door for us since housekeeping had misplaced the key, no problem...except when we walked into the room it was stuffy and smelled like smoke! Young man apologized and said, "some people don't follow the rules, we tried to get the smell out as best we could, let me buy you a bottle of wine." As he turned to walk away we opened the refrigerator to turn it on so the baby's sippy cups would stay cold...blahhhh! A horrible odor came pouring out and inside was a dirty damp towel! Again the young man came back apologized and asked what kind of wine we would like....when I questioned him about the "flat screened TV" that was suppose to be in the room, he apologized again and said it had broken so he put in an old fashioned one. Went to turn on the set and -he hadn't plugged it in or connected it to the cable; my son did this as we were tired of calling him back. By this time I was a bit put out and went outside to get some fresh air since the rooms were hot and smelly...there is no A/C in the rooms so we had to make do with a stand up fan but air circulation did not reach the back bedroom. As per rules of the Inn, there is no smoking or dogs in the room or on the property-but as I went outside I was greeted by a barking dog chained to the lounge chair. Dog took a dump and it was left there for an hour until some guest ran it over. Trash was always full and apparently not taken out since our zoo popcorn bag stayed on top the entire time we were here. Trash smelled and overflowed to the ground below it. When we arrived home for dinner, the blanket and comforter smelled of cigarette smoke and it was unbearably hot...don't know the area, so I couldn't comfortably open the windows all the way, so we had a miserable two nights sleeping here! We went out and bought Febreeze, baking soda for the refrigerator and ice to keep the baby's sippy cups cold...(didn't trust the cleanliness of the fridge because the refrigerator had mold and crusty food in it). When I made the reservation, it was for 3 adults and one child, so why were we only given two thin, very used towels? The shower had mold inside the handles, no rubber mat, only slippery tiles and no shower curtain...so the tiles on the small bathroom floor got wet and slippery and we had to keep wiping it up. People asked me why I didn't complain to management or get more towels...well, the office is closed from 10PM to 9AM-we were gone by 7AM and returned after 11PM. Therefore we never got the boogey board rental we were promised and never got the promised bottle of wine! Matter of fact, we watched the young manager skateboard with his dog in front of our door an hour after arriving here and never saw him again during our stay. Lots of noise outside and we were close to a golf course so management has a sign saying they are not responsible for errant golf balls...I am reporting this because we were suppose to have a parking spot but lot was always full of other people partying with several guest...so you have to park alongside the golfing range and we found three golf balls...didn't make parking here very comforting. Positives...close to freeway for a fast getaway!

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 14!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
17  Thank Ninasanna
Reviewed 25 March 2013

My son purchased a two night stay at this hotel for me and my husband for Christmas. We booked our trip and proceeded to drive two hours to the destination. Upon arrival the desk clerk gave us our room key, told us we would be moved to a better room tomorrow, and told us the manager would buy us a bottle of wine. The deal supposedly came with a bottle of wine already. We proceeded to our room which was something out of a horror movie. Reeked of cigarette smoke, carpet looked like someone changed their oil on it, bathroom shower curtain was covered with pink mildew, screens were falling off the window, scratch marks inside the door (I guess they have to lock their guests in to get them to stay) headboard, and tables were dirty with age, and there were two full sized beds instead of one queen or king. The exterior is not much better. The managers young dog was left unattended in the parking lot which is 20 feet away from a four lane highway. Needless to say we didnt stay here, and asked for a refund. I have never seen such a horrible disgusting hotel in my life! Go elsewhere!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank unhappyLosAngeles
Colin F, Manager at Inn at Calafia Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2013

I deeply apologize about the issues you had here. Unfortunately what actually happened was that we had over booked due to a flood of people making reservations before the Living Social expiration. We have a lot of returning guests who love staying here because of the cleanliness and the service. The bottle of wine meant that we would get you an extra bottle on top of the already provided bottle. My dog is never left unattended and he is always on a leash and sometimes enjoys being outside. He is a puppy and the guests here love to play and hang out with him. Again I am sorry about your experience but this is not somewhere where we have to "lock the guests in the rooms". The room you were in is the last room we ever give out and usually for walk-ins only. The guests before you had smoked in there which is not allowed and they were charged. As I previously stated, we had overbooked and just tried to make it work for you. Very sorry for your experience, but I can assure you that this review does not properly explain what we actually have here.

Reviewed 5 February 2013 via mobile

Overall, my 2 stays here have not disappointed. Dana, the owner and management is excellent! Greets you with a smile and is SUPER personable.
Retro surf motel with a quirky vibe is the theme. Basic rooms with clean linen and bath. The small fridge and microwave are good additions. About 2 miles from the beach! Loved that Hapa J's is a short walk away - a must try for Hawaiian fusion food and Kona Brewing Co. beer!
Happy with our stay in San Clemente. Will return again.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 22 December 2012

This place is great value, and the rooms were recently redecorated, so they aren't as old and dusty as some places in the same price bracket. We enjoyed our 3 days here! There's a BBQ area and some basic kitchen equipment, which means it's easy to stay here and self-cater, if you're on a budget, or else there are loads of places to eat nearby.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I was a little skeptical as drove in, but once in the room, I found the room very clean, recently painted and nicely furnished. I was given a bottle of wine and a $25 gift certificate for a local restaurant, ( didn't get a chance to use it this trip). The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's a surf motel. If your looking for a full service Hotel, this isn't it, but I was there visiting friends and just needed a clean place to sleep, and for $60 a night, I think I got more than my monies worth. Will use again the next time I go there.

Room Tip: I was in room 2.. No complaints.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo