“You Get What You Pay For”

The Little Inn by the Beach
Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My wife and I traveled to San Clemente to attend my nephew's wedding on the beach. We only stayed there the one night, fortunately. The one-bed room was clean and of average size. There was a small refrigerator that was noisy enough at night to make getting to sleep a little difficult and a microwave we did not use. There is no central AC/Heat but there is a wall unit you would have to run constantly to avoid opening the old single pane window because of the traffic noise from the close-by freeway. My wife says they should name it "The Little Inn By The Freeway".
Parking is very limited and tight. A notice posted in the elevator warns that if you park at any of the nearby businesses you car will be towed. Don't do that. When we returned from the reception at around 11:00 pm that night we had to park on a side street. There were a few open spaces but they are so narrow I would not have been able to open the car door to exit. There was one of the few spaces open in the small parking garage but a large concrete support pillar prevented me from getting my mid-size car into the parking space. All things said our stay there was just ok. Next time we stay in the area we'll spend a few extra dollars for better accommodations. There are plenty to choose from.
BTW, we did have a wonderful breakfast the next morning at The Fisherman's Restaurant And Bar on the pier. The food and service was very good and so was the Bloody Mary.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Little Inn by the Beach

Reviewed 28 July 2012

The only thing this hotel has going for it is that it is right off the freeway. Having said that, it is RIGHT OFF THE FREEWAY. Sitting out on the patio enjoying the weather is ruined by the constant drone of vehicles passing by. The one ice machine serving all 3 floors was routinely empty. The remote for our TV was missing its back and the battery fell out. We couldn't change volume or channel all night until it was programmed again. The girl at the front desk got us what we needed, but didn't seem happy about it. The rooms are extremely dated as well. If you are only looking for a bed to sleep in, come here. If you expect a bit more, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 26 July 2012

My son and I recently stayed here for 3 days while on college visits in LA/San Diego. It was very convenient to get between both cities, and the rooms were comfortable and a good price. However...parking was free on the property, but crowded; the "continental breakfast" was some granola bars, a few apples and bananas, and small, packaged bagels - walk across the street to Surfin Donuts or the cafe, both were great. It was only a short drive to the beach or pier which was nice. Overall it was a good place when on a budget and not planning to be in the hotel much anyway.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I recently stayed here with my family of 5. Loved, loved, loved this place! Excellent rooms, great location in orange county, fantastic beach access. Inn is older, but we found it quite charming. I hope to be near this area again to use this inn in the future.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Malcolm L
Reviewed 26 June 2012

This was a good deal! It's not on the beach and the ocean view also has a highway before you see the ocean. If you don't mind a 2 minute drive to Del Mar Dr. (take a left and park in beach parking) this is the place for you! It's not new and doesn't have any amenities but it's a good price for a place to sleep. We stayed in the 2 queen bed room and the beds were soft but comfy. There was a microwave,minifridge, tv. We were at the beach the whole time and only used the minifridge for soda and water though.
If you're looking for a place with a nice continental breakfast you won't like this it's just granola bars and bagels. but across the street is Surfin Doughnuts- worth being in walking distance great local place!!!
I really had fun here but mostly liked it for the price and location. Staff was nice too!

Room Tip: room 204 is where we stayed which is right in the middle of the hotel on 2nd floor i'd imagine t...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 June 2012

After having a bad experience at a 4 star hotel in Oceanside, on the night of our wedding, we decided to try and make up for it in San Clemente. We had spent a rediculious amount of money on the room in Oceanside that didnt turn out so good, so we were on a budget. And when you arent spending much, you most certainly cant expect much, but at the little Inn by the beach everything was just great for us! The room was about $70 and the gal at the front desk was very kind. I got a little scared when she handed me the room key and it had room # 303. That was the room # we were in the night before at the other hotel and that turned out not so good! But to our surprise the room was just perfect for us. So CLEAN and very nice style. I am such a germaphobe, but I couldnt have felt more comfotable! : ) We would for sure stay here again and would highly recommend it! Best value for your money! Only negative is you can here the Freeway. But turn on the AC and you wont even notice the noise! : )

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 March 2012

When my fiance was stationed at Camp Pendleton near San Clemente, I came to visit him as often as possible. Seeing as I am paying my own way through college, I needed to find a hotel in SC that wouldn't bankrupt me. I am SO glad we found this place, because even though it isn't the pinnacle of amazingness, it was more than enough for us.

The bed was comfortable (pillows too!), the sink was in good repair, and as far as I know there is at least 1 parking spot per hotel room. The management, although not overly friendly, was not intrusive or mean either, and the hotel is so close to the beach that it feels like a steal to get it for way less than $100 per night.

Because honestly, who goes to San Clemente, California and stays in their hotel room all day long? Take it for what it is, a comfy place to rest your head after a long day of doing nothing but eating good food and laying on the beach ;).

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple