“Nice hotel, great staff!”

The Volare, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Ranked #6 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 12 April 2012

We walked into the Holiday Inn in San Clemente late in the afternoon on a Monday without a reservation. We were greeted by the front desk clerk as well as Todd, the hotel manager. They acted sincerely pleased to have us stay there and make our stay a great experience. Despite only having a few rooms that were not already booked, they set us up with a great room at a great price and made us feel very welcomed. Throughout our stay we were treated to a helpful and enthusiastic staff who clearly understand the importance of great customer service and what it takes to run a successful business. Todd and his staff obviously enjoy their jobs and their customers. We will definitely stay at the Holiday Inn whenever we visit San Clemente in the future!

Room Tip: Even though the hotel is not right on the beach, the ocean view rooms still have a beautiful view wi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 April 2012

It is very close to main street, walking distance. The rooms are clean & comfortable. We used the hot tub many times. There is a restaurant on site which just opened up. They have a wonderful seating area out front which we all sat there thru-out the day. Very close to shopping & other eateries. This is our 2nd stay & I will return. This hotel is very close to the San Mato entrance to Camp Pendleton, which is why we stay there. We had lots of down time & stayed at the hotel alot with family. We would just hang out in the front seating area, walk down to the shopping or pubs.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with a balcony. I have stayed at both rooms, one with & without. I was comfortable...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 March 2012

Todd, the GM for the HI San Clemente, was VERY engaged with pretty much every part of my stay. I traveled on business. The network connectivity for the room I was in was excellent as far as speed, but the WIFI signal wasn't strong. It didn't impact my usage, but I was concerned about whether or not my smaller devices (phone, tablet) were going to be able to connect with their smaller antennae. No worries.

Todd opened the restaurant last week. I had the pleasure of sitting at the bar and talking to him and some of his very interesting patrons last night, and let me tell you, I was very happy for the company. Todd seems genuinely thrilled to come to work. I don't know what sort of job a chain hotel GM is, but I can imagine its not very rewarding unless you get to know your guests. Todd showed he had the desire to not only engage you one on one, but also, he showed he had the "give a damn" attitude that I don't often see in my many travels.

Good on ya, Todd. Your hotel was a gem and I WILL stay there again!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Being in the customer service world for over 16 years I don't typically write these because your lucky enough just to get good service. Holiday Inn has always been good but my last trip to San Clemente was that much better because of the front desk person by the name of Stephan Martin who went out of his way on a multitude of requests. His attitude and professionalism is top notch, I truly hope Holiday Inn takes time to recognize his skills and not let him work for another company!!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I had to make a last minute business trip to San Clemente. When I say last minute, i called at 4:30pm and arrived at 7:pm. I was told that I got the last room. My first thought was - it will be the worst room in the hotel on the freeway side. When I checked in, I was greeted with my name and notified that my ocean facing room with a king size bed was waiting. Wow. The room was clean and while it has an ocean view, the hotel is not right on the water. The main business district is a block a way with a variety of restaurants.

The continental breakfast was typical fare - muffins, cereal, OJ. nothing real special.

My plan was for only for one night. The morning I was originally planning to leave, I asked for an additional night as my work plans changed. Without hesitation, it seemed like they had to move a couple of reservations around so I could keep my same room. They said they were happy to have me for an additional night.

This is not a 5 star hotel, nor did I expect it to be. However, the cleanliness and staff make it 5 stars.

Room Tip: Face to ocean so you don't hear much of the freeway noise
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Clean and spacious room equipped with Queen size bed, coffee table, sofa, balcony and LCD TV. Full size bathroom. Very comfortable room for 2 people. Ocean view is worth it. Nothing particular with the hotel itself, nice lobby, elevator, restaurant. Location is great, very close to main street, Avenida Del Mar, and less then 10 mns walking distance from the beach (front desk provides beach towels). The San Diego freeway is nearby which we found out to be a great thing to drive out to Dana Point and Laguna Beach. Last but not least, the staff at the front desk and restaurant was extremely friendly and helpful.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cobaye27E
Reviewed 2 November 2011

We had an awesome room which was spotless, LCD TV, Jacuzzi and an ocean view. The staff was incredible. Make sure you check out the resturant

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple