“Recently Upgraded”

Best Western Plus Casablanca Inn
Ranked #3 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 1 May 2009

I stayed here a few years ago and it was a bit rundown and the service was so-so, but not this time. My room was large and clean. The person who checked me in called the room after I had been there about 20 minutes to make sure everything was OK. The beds were very firm, but comfy, with white down comforters instead of tacky motel bedspreads. There was a whirlpool bath. There is a free breakfast, just bagels, cereal, fruit and such, but everything was very fresh. I paid $80 for one night through AAA.

The motel was very quiet. I could hear a large party right below me when I opened the bathroom window, but once I'd closed it I couldn't hear them at all. I was not awoken by voices or slamming doors (I just hate loud slamming hotel doors).

I did not pay extra for an "ocean" view, because I knew from the last time that the view was obstructed by buildings. Better to just walk the few blocks to the beach and watch the sunset from there.

My only complaint was that the free internet wireless connection was slow and spotty.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank CATravelerFremont_CA

Reviewed 3 March 2009

My boyfriend and I planned a romantic getaway for the weekend and had checked this hotel out online. It seemed nice enough. Upon arrival in the evening, we were greeted by the hotel desk worker and given the room keys. The room was nice enough - very clean. We even had a jacuzzi tub (which we payed extra for). However, that is where the fairytale ends. The view from the room "claiming to be an ocean view" was hardly that - we overlooked the rather unsightly view of powerlines, parking lots, and a backside of a building... we could see a line of ocean if you looked really closely. Our room was across the way from the banquet hall... which happened to be hosting a kids birthday party. Which was fine except for all of the noise associated with it (e.g. kids screaming, running down the hall, and testing door handles - particularly ours). After a few hours of this, I went down to see if there was anything that they could do for us, maybe moving us to a different room, because we had come for rest and relaxation - not to listen to a bunch of noisy kids. The hotel desk worker had the attitude of "Oh well - just deal with it." He didn't have any extra rooms and "they would be done in a few hours." Frankly, he didn't seem too concerned. After several minutes of explaining to him that the noise was bothering us, I finally asked if he could go and tell them to keep it down. He assured me that he would... he didn't. I had to go back a second and ask him again. If you are looking for a quiet and relaxing place to unwind - this place isn't it. It seems you leave more stressed out than when you check in. I could have kept my money, stayed home and had a better experience.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bunnyfoofoo405
Reviewed 18 February 2009

We stayed 2 nights in a queen deluxe room. The room had its good and bad points. Good - double sink separate from the nice jacuzzi tub and toilet, counter with bar-type sink, microwave, and minifridge Bad - entirely too much space was wasted in the entry way and vanity area, bedroom area itself was rather small, window looked directly out to the rear end of the vehicles parked outside. Fortunately the rooms seem to be well sound proofed because a wedding party was overstaying their welcome in the banquet room above us. The manager had to call the police to get them knock off the celebration and get back to their rooms. I guess they thought they were the only ones staying there that night. Upon checkout the manager gave me a $25 gift card to use for my next Best Western stay.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dthomp2701
Reviewed 15 August 2008

Great location, very clean, good price. What more can I say. If you want to be near the beach, (about 3 blocks); want a clean large room to sleep in (comfortable beds) and have it be affordable, this is the place for you. my wife & I would stay here in an instant if we were going to want to spend a day or two at the beach.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CaliforniaTJM
Reviewed 2 August 2008

I was impressed at first with this hotel. It was clean and for the price an OK hotel. I was traveling alone ( I am a 28 year old female) and made sure to lock the top lock of the hotel door before I fell asleep. At around 4 in the morning a man opened my hotel room door using a hotel key and attempted to enter my room. Because I had the top lock, he was unable to get in and gave up after a minute or two.
I reported this to the hotel and left several messages with the manager and never heard back. I would not recommend this hotel due to major safety issues that allowed a random man access to a hotel room where a female was sleeping alone. it is not worth this risk, find a different place to stay!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled solo
2  Thank Mermaidbina
LAWING, general manager at Best Western Plus Casablanca Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2008

I do apologize to the guest for the issues she had while staying here. Around 8am (not 4am) our laundry man was making his rounds collecting the towels and linens from the guest rooms. Unfortunately he mistook this room for being checked out and tried to enter the room. Once he saw a guest was present he promptly shut the door. I have held a meeting with my staff and reminded them to announce themselves and knock 2 times before ever entering a guest room even if they believe it to be empty, We will continue to strive offer excellent accomodations, and use issues like these to help improve our property. General Manager Best Western Casablanca Inn

Reviewed 21 April 2008

We stopped here for the night on our way back from San Diego to L.A. and thought it was a cute place. We liked the size of the room and how clean it seemed to be and the location was wonderful. The staff was great but I was only a little disappointed when I noticed a disgusting stain near the sink in our room. My children were glad to know that the pool stayed open until 11 p.m. and that it was heated so it was easy for them to enjoy a night time dip. The hotel states that it offers feminine products but upon inquiry it was only a females razor they offered. So if you forget something it is ok because there is a 7 eleven and a Riteaid down the street. Overall we had a great stay and they have a wonderful continental breakfast. They even have the staff in the conference room toasting your bagel for you. I liked the variety of breakfast items they offered and the kids were glad they could eat cereal instead of a muffin. The employee who toasted my bagel was very nice and was interested in where I was from and asking me how I liked California. He could have easily just toasted my bagel and turned his back, but he took the extra step to have a conversation and that is always appreciated. I would recommend this hotel to everybody.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 March 2008

My daughter and I stayed here for six days in mid-March 2008 and really enjoyed it. It has a pleasant courtyard, a nice pool/spa area, a good continental breakfast, and lovely bed linens. Our room was clean and large, and the staff was very pleasant. The location gave great access to local attractions - loved the beach down the street, while shopping and the pier were just a short drive. The Raindow sandal store is at the end of the street and a must stop for great flip flops. It was close to the freeway for trips to LA and San Diego as well as US 1 for trips up the coast to Capistrano, Laguana, Newport Beach, etc. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family