“Excellent”

Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
A TripAdvisor Member
“Excellent”
Reviewed 27 October 2013

Great experience. comfort and location to the base. Loved it! I would stay here again. Friendly, efficient, and fast check in. Loved they had complementary drinks in the lounge and variety at breakfast. Got a kick out of the post it note on headboard. But definitely a step up from "other" hotels and I felt everything was clean.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hampton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
San Diego
Reviewed 25 October 2013

My husband and I have been attending the Pageant of the Masters up in Laguna Beach every last Thursday in August for the past five years. After two consecutive years staying at this Hampton Inn and Suites, I think we've found our "home base" and are happy with the digs. To clarify, we live in San Diego and have a view of Mission Bay from our house, so seeing the ocean or being on the beach is not a priority for us when we book this for our one-nighter. A good night's sleep, nice people at the front desk, safe and close parking (not to mention free), and a reasonable rate are. Mission accomplished on all accounts here.

I can equally recommend rooms on either side of the hotel, having stayed in both. I almost prefer the west-facing, because you don't get the early morning sun coming in from the east, and I think the rooms are better. As a general rule of thumb, though, go buy some foam ear plugs at CVS (the fat orange ones) and put them in your travel bag. You never know when you'll get a noisy neighbor or someone who insists on banging their room door shut when they go down early for the free breakfast buffet. They'll also come in handy if you somehow are able to hear the traffic noise from I-5, which I never do.

I also have to give a shout-out to the management and front desk staff of this hotel. They are always nice, helpful, and efficient. I know we aren't dropping a ton of money to stay there, but they treat us like we are, and it's appreciated.

Room Tip: I think all the king bedded rooms facing the golf course are accessible ones -- so if someone with a...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, United States
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We stayed at the Hampton Inn in San Clemente because our son got married at Wedgewood, which was right next door. Beautiful venue overlooking a golf course. Very convenient for everyone. The rooms were suites - separate sleeping area, but the "front room" had a sleeper sofa, chair, tv, microwave, so you could still entertain while little ones ( and big ones) took naps! Also, the comforter was a white cotton duvet, that would be laundered for every guest! Not the gross synthetic bedspreads that may never get washed and you are afraid to sit on. Their continental breakfast was great. Fresh fruit, yogurt, eggs, toast, cereal, make your own waffles, coffee, tea, juices. And a large eating area, so when 20 of us met up for breakfast, we had space to sit, talk and eat. I didn't take advantage of the pool or hot tub, but I did spend some time in the exercise room. Nice amount of exercise equipment and weights. I would highly recommend this Hampton Inn to everyone. All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room overlooking the golf course and the wedding site. Very nice!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Woodbury, MN
Reviewed 15 October 2013

I stayed one night at the Hampton San Clemente. The hotel is conveniently located right off of I-5. My room was comfortable and very clean (and I'm picky). The front desk staff was extremely friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Salt Lake City, United States
Reviewed 11 October 2013

If you can't be in the "Pier Bowl" this is the next best thing. The hotel is just a couple minutes drive from the State Beach at Calafia -- a great beach for surfing or boogie boarding. Tip: When you make your reservation, ask for an EAST facing room. (That's right, a room away from the ocean and awesome sunsets.) Why? Traffic noise. The Hampton is right along I-5 freeway. The trucks rumbling through at 1:00a could wake you. Still, we've had west facing rooms twice now and survived. Ear plugs helped. Overall, nice hotel with a friendly and efficient staff.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Atlanta, United States
Reviewed 10 October 2013

Very enjoyable stay. Very clean and friendly staff. Balcony rooms on the back of the hotel. Rooms on the front overlooking the ocean and Interstate 5 could hear some road noise. Very convenient to all local sights. Easy access off interstate.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Glendora, United States
Reviewed 9 October 2013

The room was clean, separate sitting area was especially nice, complementary breakfast good, and the staff that I interacted with were very friendly. Only problem was the room key quit working 30 plus minutes before check out time.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends