“budget friendly, good location”
Review of Seahorse Resort

Seahorse Resort
Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in San Clemente
Reviewed 21 May 2014

great balconies looking over in the ocean .[from across the street] in many rooms.Easy stroll to pier. reasonable price. Awkward room set ups, cinderblock walls, small,dated bathrooms, had to request enough towels for our party of 3. One "suite"for 3 people had a separate bedroom for 2, and a twin bed in the main room, that's great. BUT, ... to get to the bathroom you have to go through the other bedroom!!!!!AWKWARD !! lumpy ,old mattresses, sheets falling off the bed. No suitcase stands. Office was very pleasant when we made requests..., then took forever to deliver.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank SeeSmellTasteTouch

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Our little family had wonderful stay at Seahorse Resort. It was beyond ideal! The room was clean, spacious, and owners are fabulous. We had studio and after getting our 1 year old to bed enjoyed carefree sushi dinner on the deck enjoying the sights and sounds of being the pier. Cannot beat location or the price. Next time were in San Clemente we'll be back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Leigh B
Reviewed 4 April 2014

I couldn't have had a better weekend getaway. After speaking with Oksana on the phone it was everything she advised!! Great view, top floor best. Staff was exceptional and added touch of hotel providing umbrellas, beach chairs and towels was wonderful. Anything we needed it was there in two seconds flat. The office door was always open and very inviting making you feel very much at home. All shops and food within walking distance. We re-booked before we left. Oksana is the BOMB!!!! MUST VISIT.

Room Tip: Choose top floor for best views
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Rohna S
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were exceptionally happy to have found the Seahorse Resort. After a week in Disney, we were looking to spend a couple of days relaxing on the coast. We found exactly that and more. Our two teenagers suggested that we should have stayed here for the week and only a couple of days in disney instead. The condo was adorable, charming, super clean and the views were second to none. We loved the layout, spaciousness, all the windows with that view! We were in unit 2 with 2 balconies, 2 bedrooms, 2 baths and an extra twin bed. This was perfect for travelling with two teenagers as everyone had their own space. Yes, there are trains on the coast but the sound of the ocean more than makes up for them. We would highly recommend and are making plans for a return trip as soon as we can.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank ldc032714
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Well, we were just too happy and excited to have found this nice resort with what must be the best view you can get for their rates. In that way I still recommend it.

Our experience is personal, but something to keep in mind for more travelers, I can't imagine being the only one bumping into these obstacles.

Since their own bookingsite was down, I made reservations trough a booking site.
Only to be greatly dissappointed afterwards.

The bookingsite sold us an oceanview room and stated that extra bed could be provided, but this is only for the ground floor units (still view but not the ones you get as advertised).
When you want to enjoy the view and the privacy (ground patio's are practically on the street from what I understand), of course a room in higher level is better. But those rooms have no space for an extra bed and services are limited by fire marshall (which is of course a good thing).

Also, this is a privately run hotel which is I think 99% of the time a big plus. But for late check-in this might give problems. For us this was eventually the real dealbreaker, there was simply no-one available to welcome us.

So please be sure to check these things with them directly, before booking anything. The contact was very nice and helpful, which made it even more sad that we will not be there to see her in person.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank CeeGeeBeeBuzz
Reviewed 23 February 2014

My first thought was to take my wife for a Valentine's Day dinner in San Clemente at one of our favorite places, Fisherman's on the San Clemente Pier. To add to our weekend. I began to look for a hotel to stay at for Presidents weekend that was not to costly.

I was able to find just the right place in the Seahorse Resort. The Seahorse was far less costly than the motel across the street. Thing is both locations shared the same wonderful beach and pier view. Only we had a bargain price.

The young lady Ms. Oksana placed us in a studio on the first floor ( # 9 Catalina Room) which had a very good view along with everything that made us feel very comfortable for our stay.

The Seahorse Resort is within walking distance to restaurants, and local friendly bars.

I highly recommend Sunset Bar and Fisherman's but most importantly I would suggest you give Seahorse Resort a try.

Room Tip: All rooms have ocean view. Expect to hear train from time to time. But was nothing that ruined our s...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SamHuff
Reviewed 18 February 2014

Just returned home to San Diego after a two day stay at the Seahorse with my wife and another couple. We stayed in unit number two which afforded us absolutely beautiful views from each of our two balconies.The unit itself was clean, spacious and had all necessary amenities Our room had its own bathroom and balcony...my wife insisted upon closing the sliding glass door at night because the sound of the waves was keeping her awake. A nice problem to have,I'd say! There are a few quaint little restaurants as well as a convenience (very convenient) store right down the street. Beyond these few businesses and a handful of hotels there is not much else there....and that's a great thing....relatively unspoiled and very quaint!
Every single person from the resort that we had the pleasure of meeting was welcoming, warm and friendly.. Marillynn(sp?), Oksuna(sp?), and Andrew were all extremely helpful and accommodating...overall experience was wonderful....so nice in fact, that before we even left, we booked a couple of days in March.
You may read other reviews complaining about the train ....and its horn....and the clanging bells, or the fact that the resort is out of date....but I'm telling you that even IF the trains were twice as frequent and twice as loud and even IF the resort hadn't been updated since the depression, wild (SEA)HORSES couldn't keep me from going back.! I took a bunch of pictures during my brief stay which I am including with my review...please take a moment to check them out.

Room Tip: The higher up the better!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends