“not good”

Marstellerz at the Walker House
Price range: US$13 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Bonita Ave.
Description: The Walker House in San Dimas, previously known as the San Dimas Mansion, is home to our restaurant. In addition to dining, the Walker House the restaurant has an exclusive dining venue. With several sized separate rooms, veranda and an outdoor patio, our experienced staff will help you create the perfect setting.
La Verne, California
“not good”
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Food used to be excellent and so was the service.. not true any more

1 Thank Lulu120639

San Dimas, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Terrible Service - Average Food”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

My wife and I finally went to the Walker House for dinner on June 12, 2011. It was our anniversary, so we went there thinking it would be a nice dinner. The first clue was that there was only one other couple in the dining room. The waiter was terrible, he never brought me my drink, and it took 20 minutes for dinner to arrive. The meal was average at best, somewhat salty. When the check arrived, they had charged me for my drink. The waiter was nowhere to be found, so the other guy setting the tables adjusted the bill. He was the only one that provided any service. It was extremely disappointing. When we got outside, the other couple approached us, and we both agreed the service was terrible, and we would not come back.

• Visited June 2011
1 Thank Mike_S_120
Los Angeles
“Such a horrible Mother's day, I actually teared up.”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We drove an hour from Los Angeles to visit Marstellerz at the Walker House for their Mother's day brunch. Living in Los Angeles we had many choices of restaurants but were excited with what we had seen on their website as it looked beautiful. My mother loves old houses so I thought this would be perfect. I was wrong!

Please, take my advice, eat anywhere but this restaurant. The brunch was 30 a person and I would have still been upset if I spent 10.

The buffet was a joke, cold food that was supposed to be hot and hot food that was supposed to be cold. Store bought, disgusting pastries, looked like they were from a box from the grocery store. They only had plastic cups for juice and Styrofoam for coffee. I am not normally a picky person, but if I am spending 30 dollars a person on Mother's day, I would like to at least drink out of a coffee mug. We waited for them to brew coffee for so long, we ate our entire gross brunch without cofffee. When it did show up, they didn't have decaf! Why kind of restaurant doesn't have decaf coffee? Again, for 30 dollars, they couldn't brew some decaf coffee? We finally got coffee and waited another ten minutes for cream, that I had to hunt down by walking around looking for someone to help me.

The service was non existent, I think the hostess' helped us out more than our server. And at one point I asked, "Where is the dessert?" and the response was, "We are out?" At that point I actually teared up. This is the place I brought my mom, dad and husband to? This is the restaurant that I was so excited about? I made everyone drive an hour, and was willing to drop 140 dollars on THIS place?

The worst part- I asked for a manager and the front desk girls told me that she wasn't there? Wasn't there?! I worked in restaurants for over 10 years, Mother's day is the busiest day of the year, one of the most important! How could she not be there!? The front desk girls told me people had been complaining all day. Everyone sitting on the patio with us was furious and I heard many people up front very angry!

I could go on, but won't. We left hungry and even though my parents were trying to pretend like it was fine, I knew they were going to stop by a fast food place on the way home.

Please take my advice and DO NOT waste your time! I don't want you to go through what we did. There may only be one negative review actually on here but there were many negative comments that day, from everyone!

Hope your Mother's day was better than mine at Marstellerz.

• Visited May 2011
3 Thank Jennifer580
London, United Kingdom
“Almost there - a little more attention to food quality & it could be great”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

Located in a wonderful historic building, this restaurant, formerly known as Saffron, offers a unique dining experience. While the ambiance and atmosphere is of bygone days, the menu is mostly American steakhouse fare. Our party of four tried a variety of dishes. The filet was excellent, but the ribeye was too fatty and had not been trimmed properly. All the food was over-salted -something the kitchen clearly needs to address. The starters were average, but the mussells starter was very poor - essentially mussells swimming in a tomato soup. That dish needs to be rethought. We were not offered cocktails or a wine list, so I don't know if they have one. The menu has wine by the glass for $6. The champagne (advertised as dry) was sweet and cheap. The house red Cabernet was actually very good value. The service was friendly and prompt - absolutely no complaints . Last, and by no means least, I sense that this restaurant has an identity crisis. The name in no way communicates the menu - if anything it sounds like a Munich beer house. The menu offerings communicate a management that doesn't know whether to go high-end or mid-market. The food quality communicates a lack of skill in the kitchen - just basic ability - and nothing is either locally sourced or 'historic' - both of which could really help this place stand out. In order for this restaurant to really make its mark it needs to make some changes to address these shortcomings. Worth a visit, but it won't get regular repeat visits until these issues are fixed.

• Visited March 2011