“Order "To go" instead.”

Good for: Child-friendly
Irvine, CA
“Order "To go" instead.”
Reviewed 22 February 2012

Pizz'a Chicago warns right on their menus that it will take 45 minutes for your pizza to cook, and that if you don't want to wait you'd better phone in your order ahead of time. While this leads to really, really good pizza, it also equals really, REALLY slow service, since as far as we could tell most people didn't actually call ahead.

We DID call in ahead of time, and were told that they would cook our pizza halfway and then finish cooking it once we were seated. We arrived to find a full restaurant, got our names on the wait list. And then we waited. And waited. And waited. 45 minutes for cooking + eating time = almost NO table turnover.

Twenty minutes went by from the time we were the next name on the wait list until we were actually seated. Never mind that there was an empty table and four chairs by the window. Never mind there was an empty booth. The two waiters in the whole restaurant and single manager were too harried to clear those tables or get anyone new seated, although why they were so harried I don't quite understand. I mean, everyone was just sitting around talking and waiting their 45 minutes for their pizza to cook. We did a lot of waiter-watching, and it really seemed they were walking in circles, looking busy and talking to the kitchen staff but not doing a whole lot that was productive.

Finally, we just asked them to finish cooking our pizza and put it in a box so we could take it to go, and voila, we were seated. 10 minutes later, they finished cooking our pizza and gave it to us. Oh, and when we got up and left, the family that was two names behind us in the wait list... they were still waiting.

The pizza itself? Delicious. I won't say it was worth the wait, but I could see myself ordering to go and then driving by to pick it up if I was in the area again. Five stars for food. One star for everything else. Let's call it a 3.

• Visited February 2012

WA
“Delicious!”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Deep dish pizza, wonderful flavors, great crust and new ideas, like orange peel and ricotta cheese on a pizza!

Visited November 2011
“Excellent pizza, but a price that reflects it”
Reviewed 3 October 2011

I ate here after the San Jose RR 1/2 Marathon. Apparently, they weren't expecting the influx of starving people they had because they were swamped, but that's not really anything to hold against the restaurant. I was surprised that the price listed on Trip Advisor was so low...an order of bread as an appetizer was more than what was listed. The pizzas were pretty pricey (21.95 for the medium 'specialty' which appeared to be their signature dish); however, that having been said, it really really was some of the best pizza I've had in a long time. I even prefer New York style to Chicago style, but 'The Fridge' was unquestionably excellent.

• Visited October 2011
Austin, Texas
“Best deep dish pizza I've had outside Chicago”
Reviewed 25 June 2011

I was in San Jose on business for four days in mid-May, staying at the Fairmont downtown. One night I decided to venture out on my own, and turned to the crowd-sourced guidance of TripAdvisor for advice. I ended up going to Pizz'a Chicago, and once again came away glad I listened to my "friends" on TripAdvisor.

Pizz'a Chicago is an unpretentious little place in the business district downtown. The inside looks like a run of the mill pizza place with a mix of tables and booths. The menu has a nice mix of pizza and pasta choices, but given the earlier reviews, I gravitated towards the deep dish pizza, something that I love but that is not often done well outside of Chicago. Although you wouldn't know it from the online menu, Pizz'a Chicago offers an individual-sized deep dish option, which is just right for one person. I ordered one with Italian sausage, garlic, and fresh mushrooms, along with an iced tea. Wow! Let me say that again... WOW! The pizza was awesome -- as good as I've had anywhere! I ended up coming back a second time on the same trip (shuffling the toppings a bit w/ no drop in quality) and will certainly come back the next time I'm in San Jose on business.

Outside of the food, the iced tea and service were both very good (none of that instant-brew swill that many places call "iced tea") and the prices were quite reasonable. I think I spent about $13 including tip each night for my pizza and drink. Two thumbs up!

• Visited May 2011
Turlock, California
“Best BBQ Chicken Pizza ever!”
Reviewed 1 June 2011

The Untouchables is a must try pizza. If you like BBQ chicken pizzas you must try this one. I cannot wait to be back and try it again.

• Visited May 2011