“Not a great stay........”

Homewood Suites by Hilton San Jose Airport-Silicon Valley
Ranked #1 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Just completed a stay here for 5 days. Not the greatest stay. My son and I were located in one of the secured entry buildings on the first floor. Upon entering the room, there was a pet store odor to it. We required a first floor room and asked about a change, but was told there were no other first floor rooms available, even though we saw someone checking in later into one and the next day someone checking out from a couple.of the first floor rooms.

Later on that evening, we found some dry dog food on the carpet floor here and there and as well as pet hair. I figure, what the heck, clean it up and deal with it. The room is very outdated in appearance and in need of updating. The bathtub's non-slip surface was wearing out which gave the appearance of being stained and dirty. My son slipped a couple of times while taking a shower. I did as well. Very dangerous. They need to put some non-slip strips before someone gets hurt.

On the second day in the morning upon waking up, in addition to being woken up by a barking dog that was barking for 35 minutes straight, I started noticing some very itchy bug bites on my ankles, feet and lower leg area. I can only think of one reason for it, the room must have fleas. Since it was already dirty, as well, my wife asked if the carpet can be cleaned. They said they would do it. Although she did not mention the fleas........... But, be careful what you ask for..........

Although it was clean, during the last 3 days of the stay it was like being in a steam room.The carpet never quite dried totally. I left the windows open each day and ran the ceiling fan on all day. Everything in the room from my clothes to the sheets to my papers had a slightly damp feeling to it. The windows were fogged, as well. By the time I checked out, parts of the carpet was still not totally dry.

I did not bother to request a room change, since they had already told us several times that there were no other first floor rooms available. Due to my son's condition, we required a first floor room.... So we just dealt with the situation and figured we would be out of the room most of the time. On the day of check out I woke up again with a few more bug bites, so it would seem that the fleas returned. In addition, on the last night, I started hearing a drip noise and discovered that the air condition started dripping water on to the carpet. I placed a towel underneath it and went to bed. Had to leave at 6am.

My wife and younger son was in another room towards the front, the non secured entry rooms. Those are going through some renovations I guess. But on the last night, the hot water was shut off and they had to take cold showers. The front desk was not aware and nothing was done about it. So they took cold showers.

The only reason I am giving two stars rather than one, is that the staff, with the exception of maybe one, were very cordial and nice. We stay at many Homewood Suites across the country on our vacations, but this one is probably the worst of the ones that we had stayed at. A lot of positive reviews here, but I did not experienced any of those positives.

Time to go apply some calamine lotion........

1  Thank boozwaa

Reviewed 24 July 2014

Newly renovated room was beautiful. Front desk staff very helpful. No elevator so request 1st floor room if you do not want to climb stairs. Great hotel shuttle service. Rooms seem smaller than other Homewood Suites I have stayed at.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Homewood Suites appear to cater to business travelers, but our family had a great stay here over the weekend. What family wouldn't be pleased with a two-room suite with two TVs and a nice kitchen area? The free WiFi is fast and the breakfast is outstanding with plenty of room to sit - a huge plus. The location is easy to get to and close to major freeways, and the staff was extremely courteous/helpful.

The only thing that prevented me from giving this property an excellent review was the fitness center, which is not much larger than the men's restroom and only has a few exercise options. Worse yet, the lone treadmill wasn't even working during our stay. It's so beautiful in the Bay Area, I suppose I should've taken the hint and just gone for a long hike, but it was surprising that such a large hotel wouldn't have a better fitness center.

Other than that, everything was outstanding and we would definitely stay again.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

I stay at many Homewood Suites. But this one has to be towards the bottom of the list. A couple of my Co workers warned me about staying here. I was located in building 5 first floor. The staff is friendly and the usual complimentary meals are nice. But the rooms are dated. The carpet is filthy, had to wear shoes or socks in which my white socks became stained black on the bottom. Ended up buying a pair of sandals to wear. The housekeeping is definitely lacking. Found leftover kibbles and bits dog food on the kitchen floor. and carpet, There was a smell of a dog in the room, as well.

I definitely would not want to stay here again. I know that there are many high marks here for reviews, but mine isn't one of them.

Room Tip: This is a dog friendly hotel, so if you do not like the smell of pet odor or find some dog hair tha...
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We stayed at this Homewood Suites for two nights while visiting San Jose. Based on the excellent trip review ratings, we chose this property. Initially, we were very disappointed. The location is in a business park area (great for business meetings, but we were on a family vacation), and behind a strip mall. Our room was very clean, but not in the best of shape - worn and ripped carpet, worn furniture, and in need of updating. There was a very strong sanitizing chemical type oder that burned our eyes after being in the room for several minutes. When I asked if we could be moved to another room, the front desk person said that we were in the last room available for that night. She did everything possible to help the situation, including asking the housekeepers to put some fans in the room to air it out. The next morning I spoke to the manager and she was also very helpful and asked the housekeepers to work on eliminating the oder and by the time we returned to our room that evening it was much better. The manager also added 15K points to my Hilton Honors account. The price of the room was excellent - $159 for a King Suite. The other hotels in the area are much more expensive. The good news is, they are doing major renovations. I think once they have all their rooms updated, this will be a top notch property. The staff and management are excellent.

Reviewed 14 July 2014

The staff was great and the complimentary food was awesome but the rooms are outdated and the rates are very pricey. It is a good location and it is close to several freeways. There are lots of restaurants that are within wallking distance.

Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I have been living at this Homewood Suites since last September, and had planned on staying through the end of this year. Overall it is a good hotel, with decent rates and good amenities. I would have given them five stars, however I was notified this morning that they are effectively kicking me out because they cannot extend me past July 24th. A couple of months ago I spoke with the front desk and told them that I would likely be staying through the end of the year, and they said no problem, just let them know when I'll be leaving. But now I have to find a new place to live. This is very disappointing, as I am a loyal Hilton Diamond member, and have literally paid this hotel tens of thousands of dollars over the past year. I guess Marriott will be getting my business now.

1  Thank Jeff H