“Hard to s(t)ay...”
Review of Arena Hotel

Arena Hotel
Ranked #35 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 14 August 2011

Well, I stayed there for 5 nights and still not sure what to think, of course spacious room with jacuzzi but some small, big things to mention...

First I walked in the room, I thought "OMG, 5 nights in this "hole"..." Dont get me wrong, room was clean, no roaches but all the furnishings makes you feel not happy.

Very big refrigerator... but totally misquided (almost in the middle of the room...) and absolutely not fitting in the room (big white refrigerator and brown furniture) make you feel like in a cheap motel in 80ies. I'm sure there are so many non-expensive possibilities to place it right and make the room look nicer.

Jacuzzi is working but not really good in shape and clean.

Shower head totally limed... with a bit more cleaning it will not happen...

Table telephone was not working well, also not clean and outdated.

"Business center" with outdated and worn out display and keyboard, also pc setting are very dangerous - not sure if choosed by hotel staff or guest - storaging all passwords you type unless you delete them by yourself while log out... be careful!

All in one... this hotel has potential:
wonderful location, almost in downtown, free parking, quiet (not highway hotel), and I guess unbeatable prices for a 3star SJ hotel.

with some small changes it would look even much better - refrigerators in right place, it won't cost you any money, or even better put it in a wardrope like in other 3stars hotel, and would recommend to get some insperations from other 3star chain hotels.

Also try to keep your rooms more clean: clean shower heads, jacuzzi.

Good 3 points.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 6 August 2011

I must admit to being a tad mystified at the glowing reviews this property seems to be receiving on this and other websites. While there's nothing horrible about it (I mean like the important things: Cleanliness and safety, for example), there's plenty of details that just don't sit right.
Decor: Vintage late 1980's. Think pink-n-green pastel. Each elevator lobby features a partially mirrored ceiling and rows of now-empty track lights. The hallways reek of long-ago cigarette smoke.

Free breakfast: You get what you pay for. Just sayin'. Caveat emptor on the "scrambled eggs."

Staff/service: Our main point of contact with hotel staff was housekeeping, and all I can think is that they're either (1) Drastically understaffed, or (2) Incredibly lazy. In the 5 days we were there, our room was never cleaned before 4:30. On two of the days, we arrived back at our room at 5:00 to find the room still uncleaned. It's not as if the maids looked busy, quite the opposite. It appeared they were standing around waiting for quittin' time.

Safety: While The Alameda is gentrifying, there are plenty of homeless still in the area. Staff does a good job making sure it's guests only in the hotel and the parking lot, and the doors are locked after 10:00 PM.

Cleanliness: Besides my dissatisfaction with the maids, there are some very harsh chemicals in use to clean the sheets and towels-- You can smell it. If you're sensitive to that sort of thing (We left itching), this might not be the place.

A Final Note: At every hotel I've ever stayed, the desk clerk who checks you out asks "How was everything?". Not here. So should I infer from that they really don't want to know?

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank TheIrishNomad
Reviewed 27 July 2011

The hotel is well located very close to downtown San Jose. It appeared to be an older hotel which is well maintained. Great free parking on the grounds. The room was well equipped (full refrigerator, microwave, television, etc.) but a little on the small side. The breakfast was excellent. Bacon, sausages, eggs, biskits and gravy. It is served in a large spacious room. The area seems to be one that is going through urban upscaling. All rooms have whrilpool bathtubs. Excellent price for a downtown hotel. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slr_7
Reviewed 5 July 2011

I chose this hotel after hearing from a family member about what a great place it was. I had mixed feelings. When I pulled into the parking lot I was happy to see a lot of parking spaces, and what seemed to look like a nice building. Once inside it looked great. But appearances can be wrong. Our room had big stains on the floor, and was supposedly "Recently renovated." The AC had no power, and so only one side of the room was cold, and the other extremely hot, the exhaust fan in the bathroom did not work making it absolutely miserable trying to take a shower or use the bathroom period. For one night, I didn't think it was too terrible and I could survive. That was until I was awoken at 4am on a Sunday morning to a fire alarm. As we evacuated the building no one seemed to know what was going on or where to find the stairwells (They are not clearly marked). As we all arrived in the parking lot for further instruction not 1 staff member was there explaining anything or giving us any direction. People weren't sure if they should get out of the premises, or if it was a false alarm. 15 minutes later (YES 15 MINUTES!) the San Jose Fire Dept showed up, walked in with an ax, and still said nothing. I was absolutely disappointed in the way Arena Hotel handled what could have been an emergency situation. The next day, as we rushed to get out by check-out time, i called to find out what had happend and they told me, "We can offer you a late check-out." "Well, what could is that going to do me now?" I thought. I will not be returning to the Arena Hotel (Or using the 25% off coupon they're sending me as an apology), this place was a joke. After we were allowed back in to our rooms, we could only go as high as the 2nd floor (I was on the 3rd), because the fire walls had dropped blocking all walkways and those hidden stairwells. We were all lucky that night that it wasn't an actual emergency, the lack of professionalism was astounding.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank LizzyL8706
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Excellent hotel for the price. The room was really nice and everything was clean. The refrigerator and air-conditioner worked great. Location to the HP pavilion was wonderful since i was there for a concert.

The only bad part was that the fire alarm went off at 3 in the morning and i never did find out what happened but that was beyond their control.

All in all i would stay here again

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Sookienorthman
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Traveled with my family - husband and teens. Comfortable queen sized beds. Spacious room size and spacious bathroom. Separate sink area which is nice when everyone dressing at once. Pergo (laminate) wood floors - interesting but careful because the bed slides when you get into it. Breakfast was very good - link sausage, biscuits, french toast, several types of juices to choose from (cranberry, orange, etc). Refrigerator in the room was a little too ambitious - my drinks froze overnight - so be sure to adjust the setting to lower than highest. Air conditioning worked great. Very clean. Very comfortable overall. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nancymoon
Reviewed 21 June 2011

We stayed in the hotel for less than 24 hrs. From start to finish....the customer service was pretty non existent. We requested extra pillows, they questioned why we needed them. We had to call 3 times before they finally brought them to us. The Remote Control was not working. Had to call a couple of times to get it replaced. We were kept up throughout that night, from Ungodly noise coming out of the air conditioner. Next morning, we went down stairs to breakfast....nothing much to talk about. We had to keep telling the kitchen they were out of something. Overall, Not a very pleasant experience at all. We stayed in a room with 2 queen beds at a discounted rate through Expedia.
I was told when leaving the Hotel, we could contact The General Manager, Edna Rodriguez re: our experience.
When we got home, we called and spoke to Edna. She assured us that we would be taken care of, if we would agree to staying there again in the future.
So, we agreed. She wrote a letter with the terms.
On June 14, 2011, we called and left a message for Edna to call us . She never returned our call. This morning, June 21, 2011, we called again. This time, we spoke to Edna.
She was only willing to give us a room with 1 king bed...for 49.00. Our original room had 2 queen beds for that rate. She was not willing to accommodate us, because she was booking rooms for the weekend of July 22, 23, at a much higher rate. We only need the room on the 23rd. Is it our concern that they are booking other rooms at a higher rate? If she were truly concerned with not losing a customer, she would have worked with us.
It is truly a shame, that it is more important for her to take more money, than it is for her to keep her word, then to turn a bad situation around to keep a customer. I do not recommend this hotel to anyone.....really.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business