“Pretty disgusting”

Arena Hotel
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
“Pretty disgusting”
Reviewed 20 June 2013 via mobile

There wasnt even shampoo or soap. The sink in the bathroom starting backing up and i wasnt even using it. Really pretty disgusting. Otherwise the room itself is spartan and basic but clean. Just older. Service was really nice.

• Stayed May 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
California
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We stayed here for one night only. We got in late and left early. The room was very clean (no carpet!) and the staff was very nice. Also, the tub in the bathroom is huge! If I was looking for a cheap place to stay I would stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Sort of difficult to find (lucky I had GPS) and in a desolate part of town, though I'm thinking it's crowded with there is an event at the convention center or arena. Not many restaurants within walking distance. Rooms were on the small side and old, but they were clean. Each room has a jacuzzi tub, and I could hear the one above me rumbling, but mine did not work. No big deal for me, but if they promote it as an amenity, perhaps they should make certain it works. Plenty of parking in the back. Good breakfast in the AM. Contrary to a previous review, they do have WiFi, though signal was sort of weak at times. Staff was friendly and helpful. I'd stay there again if I were in the area again.

Room Tip: If the Jacuzzi is important to you, make test it out before you unpack.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank D L
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 10 May 2013

This turned out to be a great find for attending events at HP Pavilion in San Jose. If you are not from San Jose, and don't wish to drive home after an event, this is a great place as you can come early to avoid traffic, park at the hotel and have dinner in the area. It is 0.3 miles walking to the Pavilion so easy to walk to and from. Nice rooms with 2 queens, coffee, small restaurant on site, though not for late night, pleasant staff. This is not a 4 star place but clean, quiet and more than adequate for the little time you spend there.

Room Tip: Third floor off the street
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jean G
Dresden, Sachsen, Germany
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Two colleagues of mine and I stayed at Arena in March for the GPU Technology Conference. As we were on a budget, Arena was a good choice - at least much better than the Ramada which seems to be the local choice for kids to party on a Saturday night.
The rooms are a bit run down as is the whole hotel and breakfast is not something to start the day with. However, parking is free and they have hot tbus in the rooms. The rooms are spacious, although sometimes a bit gloomy. The hotel itself is quiet. Overall it is an average hotel that fits in our travel budget.

This was our second time at Arena but I am sure it will be our last time. All week we had problems with the wifi. As we were attending an IT conference missing wifi was a no go. We complained right away on Saturday and were promised to get internet the next day. The next day we were promised internet on Monday. All three of us know our IT business so we tested what was wrong, however the explanations why internet wasn't working became more and more ridiculous every time we inquired on the progress of getting wifi back.

We asked to speak to the manager who never appeared and was not reachable via phone. The front desk refused to connect us to the manager pointing to his office hours which conveniently matched with the times we had to attend the conferences.

Long story short, they lied to us that they would take care of the internet, the manager never showed up / did not exist and when we asked for a refund (we had asked for good internet access) the front desk diverted us to the manager and refused to give us a refund.

In conclusion, we spent a whole week in the heart of Silicon Valley without internet access at our hotel.

The lack of internet on a business trip over a period of almost a week is unacceptable. The way Arena Hotel handled the situation made the situation unbearable.

Room Tip: Don't go there.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Michael_Bussmann

Travellers are raving about these San Jose hotels

Petaluma, California
Reviewed 26 April 2013 via mobile

We stayed here to go to a Bon Jovi concert at HP Pavilion. It is an easy 5 minute walk to the venue. We felt totally safe walking back to the hotel after the concert. There were so many people walking back to the hotel with us. The room was clean and the bed was very comfortable. The air conditioning was a little noisy, but we still could sleep. They offer free breakfast with eggs & bacon, free wifi, and free parking. It's not the Westin or Fairmont, but it was clean and comfortable and so close to our concert. I would definitely stay here again to go to an event at HP Pavilion.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank LRakit
San Diego, California
Reviewed 26 April 2013

If you travel to the Silicon Valley, you know that business hotels can be very expensive - and without many frills. I booked a room at the Arena Hotel for a recent one-night stay in the Valley - and I found the hotel to be a pleasant surprise.

My flight arrived very late at night - and I was glad to have booked a hotel that was just 5 minutes from San Jose Airport. There was plenty of free parking available when I arrived at the hotel, and the person at the reception desk was courteous and efficient. Within 2 minutes of arriving, I was checked in and headed to my room.

The decor at the hotel is definitely dated - but it's not shabby or run down. It's just dated.

Upon entering the room, the first thing that I noticed was that the room was larger than standard business hotel rooms - which are typically very efficient, but pretty small. The Arena Hotel room was not huge, but I could tell that it had a couple of extra feet in width and length. The room was very clean, and it included a coffee maker, microwave and refrigerator. The room also had a large jacuzzi tub - and while you may be thinking "that's gross" - it was actually very modern and clean.

The internet at the hotel was very fast and easy to access. The free breakfast at the hotel was served in a very large dining room. The food was a nice assortment that included eggs, sausage, potatoes, pancakes, french toast, yogurt, cereal, milk, juice and coffee. Everything that I tried tasted good.

Whenever possible, I like to go running when I travel. The Arena Hotel - while on a busy street - is located just 2 blocks from the Guadalupe River Trail that is a protected (no cars!) running/biking path that extends for MILES through trees and grassy areas along the Guadalupe River. I really enjoyed a surprisingly serene run on the trail in the morning despite being in the middle of the Silicon Valley.

In summary, while not "contemporary" or "chic" - the Arena Hotel is a rock solid deal for business travelers in the Valley. If you are a runner - it's a no brainer.

Room Tip: The hotel is only two stories - so I don't think any of the rooms have views. My room was just...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business