All reviewshp pavilionwhole foodscanned fruitpaper plateswalking distancehockey gametrain stationsharks gameroom was largebit datedan older hotelfree breakfast ishotel roombeds were comfortablemicrowaveeventwholefoods
Reviewed 2 January 2014

Don't be fooled by the decent exterior looks -- the Arena Hotel is run by incompetent and uncaring individuals. Some friends and I booked a room to stay in after a concert at the SAP Center (formerly HP Pavilion). There were some minor issues during check-in to get a room with two beds, but everything was generally fine until the following morning.

My friend was searching for a shoe under one of the beds and her blind groping returned an opened condom box and two condom wrappers. Surprise, this room is disgusting! When we called the front desk to inform them of our problem, we were treated with skepticism. No offer to clean the room was made. When we confronted the front desk personnel, no offer for compensation or refund was made. I was told that the manager of the hotel would call me the following day when he or she returned to work.

Three days later, I had not received a call from the manager, so I called the hotel. The front desk person told me the normal manager was on vacation, but that I could speak to the interim manager. Of course the transfer to the manager's line went to voice mail. I left a stern, but reasonable message regarding the foul state of the room during our stay and requested a call back from either manager. I never received a response.

Hotel experiences are rarely perfect, but the customer service at the Arena Hotel is particularly terrible. Everyone makes mistakes, but it's unacceptable for those mistakes to impact the health and safety of your customers. Furthermore, it's a slap in the face when no attempt is made to make up for those mistakes. We will never stay at the Arena Hotel again.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Greg S
Reviewed 23 December 2013

While the service and cleanliness were very good, but I really hate small, square pillows for sleeping! I want nice, normal- or large-size, fluffy pillows on my bed (many hotels put both on the beds these days). The TV was too small for the room and no on-screen guide for what's on. One big plus was the large tub with jets, but I didn't use it. You don't see that very often. The breakfast was o.k. too, but instant coffee made by a machine??? Oh, please! It was awful!! Thank goodness there is a good coffee shop (Hannah's) just across and down the street. Next time, I would skip the breakfast at the hotel and just do it at Hannah's.

Room Tip: Ask for bigger pillows (I don't know if they are even available).
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel was pretty rundown, and my room smelled strongly of chemicals when I arrived, so it wasn't the best first impression. However, the following morning when I was running late for a meeting and needed something printed (there was no printer in their "business center", which consisted of just a desk and a computer) the front desk allowed me to email the documents to them and they printed them off for me. I was very impressed with the customer service too, both at check-in and check-out.

So, while I don't think I would ever stay there again...it is definitely through no fault of the workers.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I just wrote a review of an awful place in Safety Harbor, FL, and could only compare to the worst of all: Arena Hotel. Which reminded me to say a few words on its behalf. The Arena is the single most depressing, dated, jerry-rigged place I've ever checked into. I was booked for an event in the San Jose area, and the organizers put me there. As a result, I'll also never work with that organization again. I don't even know where to start with this disgusting dump, but just make sure you never, never, never stay there. Sleep in your car if you have to, or find a park bench. Stay away from the Arena.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We were in town for a hockey game and wanted someplace close to the arena. The Arena Hotel was the obvious choice! The hotel is dated, but not dirty. It was probably quite fancy 25 years ago. For what we paid it seemed just right.
Pros:
- great location, walking distance to SAP Center
- free parking (some covered)
- clean
- very large room
- jetted tub
- free hot breakfast, not amazing, but ok
- friendly staff
- free wifi
- free newspapers
Cons:
- the old fridge in our room was noisy, but I know other rooms have new refrigerators (we unplugged it for night)
- our room was above the courtyard, where the after-game smokers hung out and talked until about 1am
- very old TV, but hey, we weren't there for TV anyway

I would stay again with no hesitation.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple