“Beautiful Hotel with horrible service”

Dolce Hayes Mansion
Ranked #3 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I must say that I was thrilled to find this location. I needed to be in San Jose and my normal hotels were booked. At the last minute I found this location and was thrilled with the photos. The location does look as good as advertised and was close to where I needed to be. The rooms were beautiful, well maintained, and clean. Unfortunately, every time I needed some service it was horrible or non-existent.

I had traveled all day and wanted something to eat and drink. I went to the bar and had a seat but there wasn't a bar tender. I sat down in the corner and proceeded to read. As I looked up later on the bar tender was there but he was watching TV and never made any rounds or offer of service. As I got up he disappeared again. So I went out to the courtyard where others were eating, but I could never get the waiters attention. So after 20 minutes I started to leave and ran into the waiter. I asked him where I could have a meal. He asked me to sit down and he would be back. After 10 minutes he returned and I ordered food and a cocktail. After another 10 minutes he returned and asked if I could move into the bar to order my cocktail and food. Which I did and was finally able to order. The food was fantastic and they accommodated a few of my special requests nicely.

The next morning some friends dropped by my room and I ordered room service for 4 people. The wait was not long and the food was fantastic, but they only brought silverware for 2. I called immediately and asked if they could send 2 more place settings, but they never arrived.

I held out high hopes for this location because it is closer to the locations I need to be then my usual hotels. The beauty of the location unfortunately does not make up for the non-existent service. I wanted to try them again, but after a couple other run ins with the staff I think I'll go back to my regular hotels.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
4  Thank Inneedofagoodgetaway
Jonathan A, Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

My most sincere apologies on the experience that you had during your stay with us. We strive to provide world class accommodations at a valued price. I am very interested in getting more details on the challenges that you encountered. If you could be so kind has to give me a call so we can discuss.

Edward
Restaurant Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Late Spring, Summer are perfect times to visit Dolce Hayes Mansion. The outdoor sitting area with it's propane heaters is gorgeous in the late afternoon and evening. The beer and finger foods are not outrageously expensive and the mansion and well-kept grounds are a nice oasis from the urban sprawl that is San Jose.

The rooms and bathrooms are meh... They look dated and are quite small - though the beds and pillows were very comfortable. The pool is okay, small and also needs a little modernization.

The gym is very nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank induway
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

We truely appreciate your positive mentions regarding our Palm Plaza outdoor dining area and the eats we have avaialble.

Thank you as well for your insight regarding our guest rooms it is a well very much appreciated.

Take care and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

This is the second corporate event I have arranged with the Hayes Mansion and once again they exceeded the expectations of all of us. One of my favorite things to do is to hang out in the reception area and watch my meeting delegates arrive and seeing how enthralled they are with the gorgeous grounds and the welcoming reception they get from the staff at the front desk. Right from the start my attendees know they are in for an elegant, five star, relaxing experience during their stay.

Our 4 day conference was held in the mansion side of the property (not the conference center side) and it is one of the best parts of hosting a meeting there. The meeting rooms, located upstairs in the main building, are beautifully appointed and all have windows for natural light and some even have balconies if a meeting attendee wishes to take a quick break outside while remaining close to the meeting room (perfect for those short breaks). Everything you need including nearby restrooms, a spacious area for refreshments, A/V and most everything else that you might need for a successful meeting is accessible for attendees.

Food is very important when you are hosting a multi-day event, and the mansion will not disappoint in this department! There is a variety of options, including vegetarian and other special diet requests - you only need to ask. The food options are creative, tasty and plentiful - if one goes hungry here it is their own fault. We used both the Silver Creek restaurant as well as private dining events in various areas of this beautiful property and every experience was amazing. The property has several indoor and outdoor options if you want to provide your group with a variety of scenic spaces for functions. My favorite is the Westwood Patio, an atrium type of room with lots of space and light. You are only limited by your imagination!

The sleeping rooms are well appointed and VERY CLEAN! I am picky about cleanliness and the room was cleaned and looked great every day. Nice, big, thick towels and soft sheets which are a testimony to the attention that is paid to the comfort of the guests. It was quiet and peaceful and I enjoyed a good night's sleep every night. Yes, the hotel is in the flight pattern, but it wasn't overly noisy and not one of my guests complained of poor sleep because of plane noise.

The real treat was working with the amazing staff at the Hayes Mansion. Right from the start, from the sales to the staff that you run into in the corridors, you are treated like you are the only guest that matters. I think the popular term these days is "Rock Star Treatment". Conference Service Manager, Inga, is the hallmark in which other properties should model their CSM's after. She is professional, helpful, friendly and her attention to each individual group is a rare commodity in this industry. She is your partner, advisor and everything else you need to produce an excellent experience for your delegates. I said it in my first review of the property and I'll say it again; there is no request that is too hard, to late, or too much for these folks!

The property is full of excellent examples of stellar staff; Patrick in the bar remembers your name and beverage of choice and will go out of his way to deliver excellent service. Kim on the administrative team will answer every question and manage your initial RFP perfectly in tandem with your sales manager (in our case it was Sally and she also was wonderful to work with).

So I will conclude this very lengthy review by saying that as a planner, you simply cannot go wrong with this wonderful property! You will be treated like a Rock Star, and your attendees will see you as one!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Maryannestravel
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in the conference center portion on the grounds. If I would do it again I would for sure ask to stay in a room in the mansion and is the reason for the 4 star. That is why we came to stay in the mansion. Now if I was with a convention then this would have been perfect to take the elevator up to the floor with our room. The grounds are not only maintained but have the most beautiful flowers and landscaping. The Palms must be 100 years old. There are so many nice cubby places to sit and talk or to have a drink. The pool is in the back and very private which I liked a lot but was to cold to enjoy it when we were here.

We ate breakfast for $15. a person and it was a great buffet and a chef making omelets. The dinner the night before was not the greatest for $29.00 a person. Would order off the menu next time however I expect this at hotels so didn't take any ratings for this. This is for the hotel. The rooms were a little small but fine. The towels were Great and big and thick. It does matter. :) They have a safe and a refrigerator in the rooms which are both really nice to have. Very comfortable beds & pillows. AC worked great.

Loved everything about this piece of history but next time I was IN the mansion.

Note: I did my reservations through trip-advisor and they had our name wrong as it was under Jr. Would book through the hotel next time to save on confusion and feel there is a possibility that is the reason we were not in the mansion. Just my thought but if I did push it feel we would have been over there but didn't know any different.

Room Tip: Ask to be in the mansion!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Metaksams
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 29 June 2014

Thank you for your review and all of the wonderful insight it might be a great help to our future guests.

Great to hear that you loved everything about us. We look forward the next time.

Take care.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Found this gem of a place in South San Jose almost by accident and what a great experience. Lovely buildings and grounds, comfortable room/bedding. We drank/ate at the Palm Plaza Lounge as there were no restaurants nearby and the food was really good. Reasonably priced and extensive buffet breakfast was an added surprise/bonus!

Room Tip: Get one with a balcony for an extra $20.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HayesMansion, Front Office Manager at Dolce Hayes Mansion, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Thank you very much for your review so glad you found us we truely appreciate the great mentions regarding our Palm Plaza restaurant.

Now that you found us we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

My husband and I booked the romance package for a weekend getaway. We had a very nice time. Ron who provided pool service was very attentive and Pia in the resturant was very engaging. Our only complaint was that the Mater'D at the resturant for breakfast did not know what our breakfast coupons entailed that we had recieved as part of our hotel package.We will go back again as this is a gem of a hotel so close to home.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Please accept my sincere apologies for the confusion regarding your breakfast coupons.

We will make sure to spend extra time informing staff of incoming stay packages as well as what is included in the packages.

Ron and Pia will be thrilled to see your comments regarding the customer service they provided. They as well as all of our team take great pride in what they do. Its validation for all of their efforts when they see their name mentioned.

Glad to hear we are your staycation spot when you want to get away but stay close to home.

Take care.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Awesome grounds and location! Quiet, fabulous hotel! Great pool and other amenities! Can't go wrong AND the price is great! (It was walking distance to my family's home and we were having a family celebration!)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo