“Great view, lots of trails, free parking”

Almaden Quicksilver County Park
Ranked #13 of 137 things to do in San Jose
More attraction details
Owner description: Park featuring 29 miles of well marked woodland trails.
Reviewed 17 April 2013 via mobile

We went here in April and the weather was perfect. There are open areas and shaded areas. Perfect for bringing your dog. There are bike trails as well. There are some old structures to see but not that great but it's all in the hike. There are peaks where you can see far and take pictures.

There are also very few people who come here unlike mission peak so you can really enjoy your walk.

1  Thank jangjangjang

Reviewed 10 April 2013

Good place to take a walk with your four-legged friend - not too many places that are this dog friendly around. Lots of trails and varying length and difficulty. Be sure to bring water as it can get hot out there though! And bathrooms are few and far between.

Reviewed 27 March 2013

I've hiked on every trail in this park and I love it! Springtime is especially rewarding as there are so many different types and kinds of wildflowers. Try the Hacienda or Mockingbird entrances--less crowded than Macabee and plenty of parking.

4  Thank transplantedNYer
Reviewed 18 March 2013

This park is fabulous, especially in the summer time when it's virtually deserted. I've seen everything from bobcats to deer here. The hills are a great workout going up, and I enjoy running down the other side (though be careful not to trip and fall on the rocks!) Interesting to see the old mine works here as well, it's fun to imagine what the place used to be like a hundred years ago. It gets really crowded especially on weekends particularly at the McAbee entrance. Still, it's amazing how you can go hiking for miles and hardly run into anyone else.

1  Thank thebeerhunter
Reviewed 14 March 2013

I grew up in San Jose in the 50's and 60's but now live on the East Coast. I visit San Jose once or twice a year to see family and try to take in sights or experiences I missed when I resided here. This site's ratings of this park were so good that I came up in October 2012 to check it out. After I found it (which wasn't that easy for someone whose last visit to New Almaden was in 1990), I parked and took off on the Woods (?) Trail. It was pleasant and dusty and smelled of the dried brush I remember from years of hiking in the foothills. But, aside from being a nice respite from the innumerable expressways on the valley floor, it was 'nothing to write home about.' I saw no wildlife, although signs warned of cougars in the area, and the scenery was kind of humdrum. After a couple of miles I returned to my car and took off to Los Gatos.

I usually take my cues of where to walk in the San Jose area from California Hiking (Stienstra and Brown). A couple of the hikes they recommend - which I have done and can vouch for - are the Uvas Park Waterfall Loop and the Long Ridge Loop off Skyline Drive. Both are do-able for 65 year old legs and offer beautiful scenery.

2  Thank SteveExton_PA