“Great new hotel, but noisy a/c unit was a big negative”

HYATT House San Jose/Silicon Valley
Ranked #2 of 75 Hotels in San Jose
Tampa, Florida
“Great new hotel, but noisy a/c unit was a big negative”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

This hotel is very new with all the business amenities you would need. My wife and I stayed for 3 nights and found the rooms to be comfortable. The breakfast was outstanding with made to order omelettes. The staff is extremely kind and welcoming. Within walking distance is a new Target, Panda Express, Panera Bread, Chipotle.

There are two major downsides: 1) The heater was very noisy at times and woke us up several times during the first night (we didn't even bother leaving it on the next two nights) 2) The hotel is new and there is new construction going on outside, which was basically the view I had. If you can get over this, then I would recommend this for the comfort and value.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
  • Korean first
Marietta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 November 2011

Traveled to San Jose with family of 6 for thanksgiving break. Stayed at the Hotel Sierra because it had 2 br suite and breakfast and airport transportation was free. We had a 2 Br suite with pull out couch and another 1 Br King suite. All accomodations were great.
The Suite family area is not big, but was fine for our needs. Beds very comfortable. Breakfast was awesome, we got plenty to eat before our day start. Omelets made to order!! Hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating, always welcomed us when we returned. Hotel is new and very modern, great eating area with really nice outdoor area with fire pit. We did not use the bistro bar. Internet was free, daily paper and local transportation if needed. Hotel is in a business area. Target and chain restaurants in walking distance.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Sacramento, California
Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed at this hotel specifically to be able to attend an evening San Jose Sharks game (NHL hockey) without having to drive to and park our car at the arena. Knowing that Hotel Sierra is within easy walking distance of light rail and that light rail offers a stop close to the arena, we chose this hotel and were pleased with our choice. The cost of the room was relatively low and we found personnel friendly, a clean, quiet facility, good exercise equipment and free parking and Internet along with a more than acceptable breakfast. The only minor complaint is that we were given the name of the wrong stop to get off the light rail and therefore had a much longer walk from rail stop to the arena than was anticipated. Now we've learned. We were not seeking a place to eat dinner close to the hotel but it did appear to us that there isn't an array of choices within walking distance. In any case, we would definitely choose this hotel for the same type of excursion again.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Houston
Reviewed 18 November 2011

Finally after travelling to many places in the Bay Area, we found this hotel by mistake due to the Hyatt Regency Santa Clara was sold out. We were reluctant to reserve our room at this hotel but we gave it a try since it is a Hyatt chain hotel.

To our surprise, the hotel is newly built this year. The price was very reasonable for our stays compare to other hotels in the area. The breakfast was a full buffet which was for free of charge. After my husband had his breakfast, he said it was the best meal he has had for the past week.

We will definitely return here with our family the next time we come to San Jose.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here on Nov.5 due to an early flight and loved the hotel. We were greeted very warmly and offered all kinds of assistance. I chose the hotel after reading reviews and was not disappointed. We enjoyed the bar on Saturday evening and a lovely breakfast on Sunday morning before departing. Great beds and convenient to the airport.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Portland, OR
Reviewed 11 November 2011

My 2nd stay at this hotel. Friendly amazing staff. My company shipped a 50 lb box of materials for an onsite class. Front desk staff offered to bring it to my room for me. Granted a 2 PM late checkout. After check out my rental car wouldnt start. Front desk staff kept my keys for the tow truck and paid my cab fare to the airport so I wouldnt miss my flight! (the free on site shuttle was in the shop). Above and beyond customer service.
Other positives: clean comfortable rooms, good included breakfast (omelettes and coffee especially).
2 negatives: a musty odor in my room the 2nd visit so had to keep the fan going. And not all rooms have a full length mirror so be sure to ask if that is important for you.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2011

I stayed here for 3 nights on business as my 'usual' hotel was full...colleagues had recommended the Sierra so I decided to try it....friendly welcome and complimentary cookies on arrival!

The rooms were reasonably spacious, with fridge and microwave - a colleague had a mini suite with a kitchenette. My room was clean, no view to speak of (back of the car park) but perfect for crashing after a day in the office. The bed was comfortable and the hotel was surprisingly quiet (apart from jet lag, I slept well!) and the breakfast buffet was great, with a good selection (including an omelette station). My only gripe was that the air con unit was a bit noisy.

We had bar snacks one evening (pizza, nachos etc) - all reasonably priced, quick service...the bar is a bit clinical/lacking in atmosphere but was fine.

The location is near to a Target and a number of cheap dining options but not much else - this was fine for us but if you want nearby entertainment, stay in Santana Row. There is also a free shuttle (5 mile radius) but make sure you book ahead. Free wi-fi.

When i am here on business again and my 'usual' is full, then I would definitely stay here again - it's perfect when you have a busy schedule and just need a quiet, pleasant place to crash that is reasonably priced. Staff were friendly and efficient.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business